You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-17 18:10:23

SavageMessiah

Samba takes forever to start

And I mean FOREVER. From when I type /etc/rc.d/samba start it takes several minutes for it to finally finish.

Here's my smb.conf

[global]
     workgroup = Allen
     security = user
     hosts allow = 192.168.50. 127.
     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
     max log size = 50
     socket options = TCP_NODELAY
     os level = 33
     dns proxy = no
[homes]
     comment = Home Directories
     browseable = no
     writeable = yes

I recently reinstalled arch on the box after a power surge fubared the hd, I just upgraded the storage drive in my main pc and put the old one in this box and reinstalled arch on it. Samba worked fine with this config before.

Pacman also runs really slowly now too, I dunno why...
EDIT: Oh yeah I was running resierfs and now I'm running ext3, that might explain the difference in speed of pacman

#2 2005-08-17 19:22:49

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Samba takes forever to start

You could try running pacman-optimize to speed-up pacman.

#3 2005-08-17 19:25:50

rhfrommn

Since it is affecting both samba and pacman I'd suspect a general network problem instead of something specific to samba.

You mentioned having to reinstall arch.  Could it be that the network card settings in the new isntall are wrong?  At work I've seen very similar sounding symptoms where a server is very slow and it turned out the network settings were wrong - the server was set for full duplex but plugged into a half duplex port on the switch, or mixing up 10/100/1000 speed ethernet settings - stuff like that.  Maybe doublecheck those kinds of things.

If it isn't that I'm not sure what it would be.  From what you decribed none of the changes you made should have impacted the network speed.

#4 2005-08-17 19:27:29

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

anything in the log file?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer