You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-12 17:25:18

avh

Wireless network problems. Networkmanager and nm-applet.

Hi,

I have just installed arch linux on my newcomputer (acer aspire 5750G) with an "AR9287 wireless network adapter" (from lspci). It requires the ath9k driver, which I have installed (it comes with the kernel).

I am using NetworkManager with the nm-applet to manage my network. The wired ethernet works just fine, but I am having problems with the wireless. I think there might be two distinct problems. The first one is to actually enable the wireless network, I have to use rfkill unblock 0 everytime i reboot. I guess i could put in some startup script, but I think there is something more fundemental wrong?

The second, more serious problem, i think has something to do with policykit, consolekit or dbus. After the network card have been activated, I can see a list of networks in the nm-applet. When i click on any of them, nothing happens. When I started making this work, nm-applet would complain about insufficient priveliges. Now i have added this to .xinitrc, and that seems to have fixed that.

/usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &

Now I have another problem. nm-applet outputs this when I click on any wireless network:

** (nm-applet:699) WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'State' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/1: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedekstop.DBus.properties: dosen't exist

** (nm-applet:699) WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'Default' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/1: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedekstop.DBus.properties: dosen't exist

AFAIK Dbus is a tool for proccess to communicate. It seems like nm-applet is trying to communicate with NetworkManager but can't? I'm just guessing here... besides, I can connect, disconnect and connect again to the wired network using the nm-applet just fine.

#2 2012-04-12 17:54:29

enigmatichus

Re: Wireless network problems. Networkmanager and nm-applet.

Hi,
I had a very similar problem on my own. After last full system upgrade I could not activate any of the network interface (both wireless and ethernet were just dead) and, oddly, the "suspend/shutdown" button disappeared from session menu in my gnome 3 desktop. After trying some downgrade I can tell that the problem seems to be caused by last version of consolekit. Downgrading from the update 0.4.6-1 to 0.4.5-2 solve both problems for me. I hope this can be useful, I'm searching if there is a proper bug tracker instance and if not, I will report this annoying problem.

Luca

Arch Linux x86_64 | Dell XPS L702X | Intel core i7 2720QM | 8192MB RAM 1333 Mhz | Nvidia GeForce GT555M | 3D 1920x1080 LED

Board footer