You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-15 12:21:25

awayand

sope compile /bin/install not found

when I try to compile sope, I get an "/bin/install" not found error. To get around is, I have to create a symlink to /usr/bin/install. What is a more elegant way to get around this when building the PKGBUILD? Modify the sources to point to /bin/install? Create a symlink? Any better ideas?

#2 2012-04-15 12:39:28

karol
Archivist

Re: sope compile /bin/install not found

Maybe you need to patch the Makefile: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1082567

#3 2012-04-15 12:41:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I had this problem with yaourt recently (installing yaout itself, not installing from yaourt).

IMHO the easiest way is to put a line in the PKGBUILD.  If the source Makefile uses the INSTALL variable you can just add "INSTALL=/usr/bin/install" on the make line in the package script.

Otherwise you'll have to add a sed line *right before* the make like in the package script like "sed -i 's:/bin/install:/usr/bin/install' Makefile".

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2012-04-15 13:19:14

awayand

thanks for the hint, but this is a gnustep app which is a royal pain in the neck I can't find the right line to modify if my life depended on it. Can someone give it a shot and tell me how you did it to find the offending line? It is version 2.0.0rc1 of sope...

#5 2012-04-15 14:40:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just looked at the src directory in the package.  I'm not familiar with that "GNUmakefile" format.  It's including all those bits from GNUSTEP which is probably in the dependencies I refused to install.

There is no reference to /bin/install in the SOPE source.  My first step would be to email the maintainer ... then I saw it was you.  My next step was to look at the dependencies.  GNUstep-make seemed like a likely candidate.

Then I did a whacky command

grep "/bin/install" `yaourt -Ql gnustep-make | awk '// {print $2}'`

to see which files in that package included "/bin/install".

Luckily enough only one did, and even more lucky was the fact that this was the very file that was "included" in the SOPE GNUmakefile.

The offending line is in a file from GNUstep-make at /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/config.make line 161.

But, you obviously can't change this file while in the fakeroot environment of a building package.  Yet more luck: there are instructions right above that line.  The relevant part is this:

config.make wrote:

# NB: These variables are defined here only so that they can be
# overridden on the command line (so you can type 'AWK=mawk make'

Long story short: ditch the linking and removal of link in the build script.  The package should build just fine whether or not the install command would work.  Then on the make line in the package script prepend "INSTALL=/usr/bin/install make install DESTDIR..."

Then, if it works, buy me a beer. smile

Last edited by Trilby (2012-04-15 14:42:43)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2012-04-15 15:03:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Oops.  It doesn't work.  I'd contact the maintainer of gnustep-make.

I didn't think that could work the way their instructions suggest.

After manually editing the line in the gnustep-make config.make file, and removing your linking stuff in the PKGBUILD, it worked perfectly.

Edit: this is probably due to the move of the install program from /bin to /usr/bin in the upgrade of core-utils as mentioned here.  GNUstep-make likely needs to be updated to reflect the change.  I'll leave it up to you to report this to the maintainer of that package.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-04-15 15:53:43)

#7 2012-04-16 12:22:14

awayand

thanks for that! I filed a bug report at https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/29485?project=5

#8 2012-04-16 13:34:21

awayand

update: looks like the bug was fixed already, that was quick. Now I am waiting for the update and will mark this solved, when I can confirm this works. Thanks again!

Board footer