You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-20 08:03:11

TeoBigusDickus

Moving my scripts to Arch Linux Forums

I've been an Arch users for the last 2 years after I've switched from Ubuntu, but my linux internet activity has been concentrated in Ubuntuforums.
In the aforementioned forums, I've created and maintained the following thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1156383
Yesterday, I got an infraction for comparing Apple to Al Qaeda and the Mafia and decided I've had enough of Ubuntuforums; I'd like to bring the thread/scripts here.
Can I do it?
If so, where should I post them, ie. in which section of the forums? (Community Contributions perhaps?)
Also, what should I do with the images? I think the forums have strict rules about images, or not?

Last, but not least, my name here is TeoBigusDickus. Could it be changed to TeoBigusGeekus so that it matches the one I've used in Ubuntuforums?
If not, I can understand, I can just create a new account; I don't have a lot of posts anyway.

Thanks for your attention and looking forward for an answer.

PS: I sent a message to bernarcher yesterday asking those questions, but having still not given an answer (perhaps he's busy) I thought I'd post them here.

Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux!

#2 2012-04-20 08:14:04

jasonwryan
Forum & Wiki Admin
Website

Re: Moving my scripts to Arch Linux Forums

Please read the Forum Etiquette: it answers a couple of your questions. Note the section on respecting other distributions; your comments about Apple would be no more welcome here...

There is also a sticky in the Forum and Wiki board about nick changes: spoiler - the answer is no.

Rather than duplicating all of the material on the Ubuntu boards here, why not just link to it in your sig? It's already on the internetz anyway...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2012-04-20 08:20:18

/dev/zero
Website

There exists precedent for what you want to do, although it's true that you'll need to consider rules about large images.

First of all, it's quite easy to add stuff to the AUR. You can keep the scripts separate on github if you want to keep them cross-distro, and your PKGBUILD can clone from there.

Secondly, there exist other threads where package developers provide updates about their package. For example, zathura.

If you put your scripts in AUR and start a thread (with small images possibly linking to larger ones), I think this will satisfy your needs.

Can't help you with the naming thing - I suspect you need to do it yourself?

Edit: haha, I took too long to write.

Last edited by /dev/zero (2012-04-20 08:20:56)

Linux is NOT Windows | The Rootless Root
Toshiba Satellite i5-3230M 2.6GHz CPUs, 4Gb RAM, ArchLinux, wmii, nVidia GeForce GT 740M.

#4 2012-04-20 13:10:29

TeoBigusDickus

Thank you both for your answers.
I guess I'll just create a new account.
I don't know how to create an AUR or use Github, but I think my Dropbox tarballs should suffice.
Thanks again.

Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux!

#5 2012-04-20 14:07:42

fsckd
Forum Moderator

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#6 2012-04-20 22:45:08

fukawi2
Forum Moderator
Website

TeoBigusDickus wrote:

I don't know how to create an AUR or use Github, but I think my Dropbox tarballs should suffice.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD
http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/PKGBUILD.5.html
and
http://help.github.com/linux-set-up-git/

#7 2012-04-21 02:59:08

skottish
Forum Fellow

TeoBigusDickus wrote:

Yesterday, I got an infraction for comparing Apple to Al Qaeda and the Mafia and...

Did you do that? It's not very helpful.

#8 2012-04-21 05:52:31

dodo3773

Why don't you still provide links on the Ubuntu forums instead of pushing all that traffic here?

#9 2012-04-21 11:07:58

TeoBigusDickus

fukawi2 wrote:
TeoBigusDickus wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD
http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/PKGBUILD.5.html
and
http://help.github.com/linux-set-up-git/

Thank you very much for the links.

skottish wrote:
TeoBigusDickus wrote:

Yesterday, I got an infraction for comparing Apple to Al Qaeda and the Mafia and...

Did you do that? It's not very helpful.

Well to tell you the truth, it wasn't literally that. I was arguing (in a civil and polite manner, I think...) against Apple's tactics and its products when a fellow member of the forums argued that

people love to hate successful companies

(click here for the original post)
I didn't find the argument very logical and I answered that

Al Qaeda and the Mafia are successful organizations as well; should we admire them?

...and voila.
I admit it wasn't a delicate way to express myself and that I didn't (intentionally) try to compare Apple with the aforementioned organizations, but that's what my post seemed to do at the end...
Still, not a warning, not a "Watch it...!!!"; a straight infraction.

Anyway, don't worry about me - I'm not a troublemaker and I promise to behave myself in these forums.

dodo3773 wrote:

Why don't you still provide links on the Ubuntu forums instead of pushing all that traffic here?

Well, to give traffic to the forums: more users, more action.
If that is a problem, then I'll move them somewhere else (just NOT on the ubuntu forums).

Last edited by TeoBigusDickus (2012-05-21 23:17:20)

#10 2012-04-21 12:49:24

x33a
Forum Moderator
Website

TeoBigusDickus wrote:

Anyway, don't worry about me - I'm not a troublemaker and I promise to behave myself in these forums.

Don't worry, if you do want to create trouble (break rules, etc) , there's always 4chan tongue

#11 2012-04-21 13:49:05

TeoBigusDickus

x33a wrote:
TeoBigusDickus wrote:

Don't worry, if you do want to create trouble (break rules, etc) , there's always 4chan tongue

...or /r/spacedicks (if you're a redditor...)

#12 2012-04-21 15:32:08

ewaller
Administrator

TeoBigusDickus wrote:

[Anyway, don't worry about me - I'm not a troublemaker and I promise to behave myself in these forums.

I can tell that by your username and avatar wink

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
You assume people are rational and influenced by evidence.  You must not work with the public much. -- Trilby
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#13 2012-04-21 17:00:55

TeoBigusDickus

ewaller wrote:
TeoBigusDickus wrote:

[Anyway, don't worry about me - I'm not a troublemaker and I promise to behave myself in these forums.

I can tell that by your username and avatar wink

Dogs who bark a lot don't bite...

PS: Trolling is a art smile

#14 2012-05-27 10:17:15

dasbaer

Oh my...
i just opened an account here to even be able to look at TBG's (TBD's ;-) thread and now i'm getting overwhelmed with emotion...
so, the actual questions regarding conky and weather scripts follows, but first some rant...

if i understand one of the mod's right, i consider myself a guest here (although i opened an account) because i'm not (yet) using arch linux.
fair enough.
i see myself as an interested (going below the surface) user who changed from windows to linux less than a year ago. i considered different distros, amongst which also arch linux, but it just seemed too far a leap at that point.
doing a lot of customization i already found some solutions on arch forums; i am right now seriously considering to install it, but on the other hand, my os is working and it's summer, time to go for a swim, no? mayb in winter.

i think at least the two forums in question are over-concerned trying to keep people out who use different distros. in my experience, linux doesn't work that way. conky is a rather good example.
that said i understand the general concern of getting flooded with meaningless babble or e.g. the clear disregard of the image size rule.
i personally had the experience how mainstream floods independent and trying to protect my precious niche from becoming, well, mainstreamed. so my empathy goes to concerned forum members here.

about TBG's infraction on UF - it does seem way overreacted.
the guy who issued it was one of the main (though admittedly moderate) posters in an ugly thread, meaning that your post (or the quote that's left of it) does not make the thread uglier.
i had myself once received sth like that; i think it's very much about using certain words, not about expressing opinions. in my case, it was the ever-dreaded F-word. stupid me, i learned my lesson. i know it's forbidden on forums. forums have rules. forums are not democratic (that's a fact, not an insult. i'm not even criticising that, but it's something to keep in mind).
it seems to me that the culture of the united states in particular is oversensitive to WORDS.
i find it extremely refreshing to watch a canadian tv-series or read a british book where this kind of hipocrisy is not present. and i'm also used to it from my own cultural surroundings.
i think the words you used have a similar impact (i remember it was on the news after nine-eleven that people get arrested in the states because their last name was bin or laden).
i sense a fear there that seems to get stronger the more commercial possibilities the object of the forum offers.

edit: oops, i pressed submit instead of preview.

anyhow, to the point:
i've been happy with TBG's conky scripts for a long time but one has started bugging and now i wonder - before i ask my actual question - is the constant development and discussion still continuing?
where?

and a plea to all mods/admins: TBG's weather scripts are much used and their discussion is much needed and they're getting better all the time and i hope it can continue!

edit2: the dropbox link to TBG's scripts gives a 404. what's going on?

Last edited by dasbaer (2012-05-27 10:34:52)

#15 2012-05-28 22:56:48

Zancarius

Discussion notwithstanding, I don't see why this is something that needs a forum on which to be hosted. In my opinion, it would be better to move the scripts to Github as /dev/zero points out in his reply. This way, TBD/TBG can manage development discussion there via issues/tickets, and if someone wants to improve the scripts, they could do so by forking his repo and issuing a pull request (or just posting a suggestion as an issue). In many respects, this would be far easier than trawling through pages and pages of forum posts.

I realize that this may sound complicated, but it's surprisingly straightforward. Using something like Git and Github also makes it so that inadvertent breakage is easy to back out, and it becomes much easier for everyone to use the scripts (not just Arch or Ubuntu). Also, this would open up his scripts to a larger community--not just distro-specific--for additional development.

dasbaer wrote:

i think at least the two forums in question are over-concerned trying to keep people out who use different distros. in my experience, linux doesn't work that way. conky is a rather good example.

It's a difference in philosophy. With Arch, you can instead package scripts up somewhere (again, like Github) and put together a PKGBUILD for distribution, uploading to the AUR if desired. If someone's interested, they can then install it easily, making symlinks where appropriate in their $HOME. Distilling this to a matter of keeping other distros's users out has little to do with the issue when the issue itself is one of distributing scripts; again, doing this with Github would be the best option (and then packaging it with a PKGBUILD for Arch users would be helpful).

dasbaer wrote:

i had myself once received sth like that; i think it's very much about using certain words, not about expressing opinions. in my case, it was the ever-dreaded F-word. stupid me, i learned my lesson. i know it's forbidden on forums. forums have rules. forums are not democratic (that's a fact, not an insult. i'm not even criticising that, but it's something to keep in mind).
it seems to me that the culture of the united states in particular is oversensitive to WORDS.

I admit I only had a cursory look at TBD/TBG's links. Playing devil's advocate here: It's apparent that the moderator in question interpreted the discussion as a trolling attempt. Whether or not this is a correct interpretation is moot; I don't think this is the place to mention it. I also don't think this is the appropriate place for TBD/TBG to interject personal spats with a moderator on another forum. If he wanted instead to move his how-tos or some discussions here, that's fine, but this thread strikes me as an outlet for private matters that really have nothing at all to do with Arch.

He who has no .plan has small finger.
~Confucius on UNIX.

#16 2012-05-30 12:31:42

dasbaer

Zancarius wrote:

Discussion notwithstanding, I don't see why this is something that needs a forum on which to be hosted. In my opinion, it would be better to move the scripts to Github as /dev/zero points out in his reply. This way, TBD/TBG can manage development discussion there via issues/tickets, and if someone wants to improve the scripts, they could do so by forking his repo and issuing a pull request (or just posting a suggestion as an issue). In many respects, this would be far easier than trawling through pages and pages of forum posts.
I realize that this may sound complicated, but it's surprisingly straightforward. Using something like Git and Github also makes it so that inadvertent breakage is easy to back out, and it becomes much easier for everyone to use the scripts (not just Arch or Ubuntu). Also, this would open up his scripts to a larger community--not just distro-specific--for additional development.

i guess you're right but that's up to TBG. anyhow he used to update the first post of his thread and the downloads, so unless one wanted "bleeding edge", there was no need to sift through the whole thread.

Zancarius wrote:

It's apparent that the moderator in question interpreted the discussion as a trolling attempt. Whether or not this is a correct interpretation is moot; I don't think this is the place to mention it. I also don't think this is the appropriate place for TBD/TBG to interject personal spats with a moderator on another forum. If he wanted instead to move his how-tos or some discussions here, that's fine, but this thread strikes me as an outlet for private matters that really have nothing at all to do with Arch.

quite right.
so back to the point:

WHERE ARE YOU, TBG? Or shall i say TBD? WHERE ARE YOU?

#17 2012-05-30 13:34:15

Trilby
Forum Moderator
Website

dasbaer, try the email link under his name.

InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

#18 2012-05-30 15:50:12

fsckd
Forum Moderator

dasbaer wrote:

WHERE ARE YOU, TBG? Or shall i say TBD? WHERE ARE YOU?

He restarted his conky weather scripts thread at #! forums.

dasbaer, I advise you to please read our forum etiquette guidelines, particularly the sections on Thread Hijacking, How to Post, and Ineffective Discussion. Thanks.

Closing this thread now.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer