You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-21 04:16:58

DeletedUser210719
Banned

Trying to fix brcmsmac output messages

My internal WiFi card is BCM43224, and I am able to use the brcmsmac without any issues in functionality.  What I am trying to fix is an issue similar to that of this post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=128609

That is, when I attempt to log in to tty1, a bunch of output about the wireless card appears.  While it doesn't affect usability, it is annoying, and I am trying to find a fix independent of those given in the posted link (messing with rc.local and the kernel boot line), specifically regarding patching the driver.

There are 2 patches at the bottom of the main page I found for brcmsmac (http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211), the first of which I think may fix the issue I am having (http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive … 8f320c4_50) (Line 50 is the one I believe may apply to my situation)

My question is, how should I approach this?  Will applying the patch require me to recompile my kernel (3.3.1.1)?  Any advice on how to add the patches themselves is also greatly appreciated.  I am fairly new to Archlinux and have only compiled a kernel once or twice, and have no experiencing with patching.

The output messages themselves follow the following format:

ieee80211 phy0: brcms_ops_bss_info_changed: qos enabled: false (implement)

I hope I'm not sounding too helpless!  Archlinux is a fantastic distro, and the documentation has helped me figure out a great deal, but Broadcom has served to make my learning endeavors much harder.

#2 2012-04-21 06:39:21

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Trying to fix brcmsmac output messages

It seems stuff will occasionally still be printed on ttys (try plugging in a USB stick, for example). So I'm afraid it's an issue with Arch, not with brcmsmac itself.

As for actual recompilation, all you need is compat-wireless. You can build that, apply the patch if the code isn't already present (since compat-wireless are snapshots, it might very well already be integrated - get the latest snapshot), and then just install your compat-wireless package (it's in the AUR). The kernel will prefer modules in the update dir over its own.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2012-04-21 07:50:20

moetunes

I use brcmsmac and the only messages from it I get are during boot. How are you starting it? Are you backgrounding stuff in rc.conf?

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#4 2012-04-21 08:54:40

meph

Try putting this in your /etc/rc.local and rebooting:

dmesg -n 3

Running arch is like raising a puppy - if you spend a bit of time with it each day and do just a bit of training you'll end up with the most loyal partner you could want; if you lock it in a room and don't check on if for several days, it'll tear apart your stuff and poop everywhere.

#5 2012-04-29 17:51:25

DeletedUser210719
Banned

@.:B:.
I tried using compat-wireless, and I think I may have configured something wrong, because it wasn't allowing me to boot and I ended up doing a fresh install

@moetunes
My messages are also only during my bootup.  The relevant portions of my rc.conf are the following:

MODULES=(brcmsmac)
DAEMONS=(@net-auto-wireless)

I'm aware that, if I unbackground net-auto-wireless or whichever method I use to setup wireless, then the tty login clears the screen up.  But it makes me wait for the messages at boot, and I'd rather not wait.

I think I will give meph's solution a try, it looks like a good intermediate between dealing with the output and adding an option to the kernel line.

Last edited by DeletedUser210719 (2012-04-29 17:54:35)

#6 2012-05-01 07:45:46

meph

mellowmaroon wrote:

I think I will give meph's solution a try, it looks like a good intermediate between dealing with the output and adding an option to the kernel line.

That's how I solved the same problem. Since the messages you're getting aren't really errors, it's safe to suppress them. Also I find it convenient to be getting only error messages and worse (everything with lower priority suppressed), so dmesg -n 3 is perfect solution for me.

Running arch is like raising a puppy - if you spend a bit of time with it each day and do just a bit of training you'll end up with the most loyal partner you could want; if you lock it in a room and don't check on if for several days, it'll tear apart your stuff and poop everywhere.

Board footer