You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-18 03:13:14

Gullible Jones

ISP giving me hideous problems

Now that I'm back on line (sort of) after a lightning strike fried my cable modem and trashed a bunch of other stuff, my internet service provider is going screwy on me. You see, I only have real internet access once every several hours; between those times, I am only able to access certain sites, seemingly at random. Right now, for example, archlinux.org (which, BTW, is not cached) loads perfectly, but Google is off limits. Tomorrow morning, I might be able to (briefly) access any working site on the internet; then things will get weird, and I'll only be able to access a small fraction of the sites out there.

I don't know what upstream problems could cause this; I do know that archlinux.org is usually accessible, and google.com is usually not, but that isn't much to go on. I suppose I'd blame it on a cable being damaged by lightning, or something similar, except that that wouldn't explain the "partial" internet access that I can get, with full-speed, uninterrupted access to a relatively small number of sites.

Anyone have experience with similar ISP bizarreness, or is this apparently a one-of-a-kind problem?

#2 2005-08-18 03:43:53

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: ISP giving me hideous problems

check your dns.
dig archlinux.org
dig non-working-site.net

dig @192.5.6.30 non-working-site.net

note: the ip listed is one of the second level name servers. a list of top level servers can be found at root-servers.org

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-08-18 04:02:52

Gullible Jones

No can do as of right now. The power surge completely fried my computer's mobo (I could actually smell something burning :shock: ), so until I get a new box, I have to use Damn Small Linux on my dad's computer - and DSL doesn't have dig for some reason.

#4 2005-08-18 14:08:43

lanrat

Gullible Jones wrote:

I don't know what upstream problems could cause this

Use MTR package to track connections and identify problems with other routers and servers.

#5 2005-08-23 07:43:28

Gullible Jones

Gah.... my mistake. It is not the ISP, it is the router. This ought to be fixed in short order.

Board footer