You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-25 18:49:48

drewofdoom
Website

Very strange ath9k issue (SOLVED)

Boot the computer, NetworkManager starts flipping out.  Using the KDE Networkmanagement Applet. When I open up the plasmoid, it shows my wireless as "Unavailable." It will then switch to "Not Connected" and receive one essid, then immediately switch back to "Unavailable."  It will do this dance as long as I let it.  At no point am I able to actually do anything with the wireless connection.

Thinking it might be an issue with NM, I installed wicd (which was working just fine over the weekend) only to have the problem persist.  wicd-curses will list the available access points (which was farther than NM would get), but would then rescan every few seconds.  If I attempt to connect to an AP, it hangs at "obtaining IP address."

I am already on the newest kernel (post-regression-fix) and have tried the LTS kernel as well to no avail.

rfkill shows everything as unlocked.  I am capable of using my phone in tethered mode, as well as connecting via ethernet.  Only wireless seems affected, and only since I reinstalled KDE just yesterday.  I've been searching around the internet trying to figure this out, but none of the fixes for the litany of issues this driver has been having work.  I've tried up-to-date and downgraded packages including the kernel and NM.  I've disabled the IPv6 module via my kernel append.  Nothing seems to matter.

Any ideas, anyone?

Last edited by drewofdoom (2012-04-25 20:10:47)

Sweet zombie jesus!

#2 2012-04-25 18:58:25

drewofdoom
Website

Re: Very strange ath9k issue (SOLVED)

Just found a little more information.  Issuing a "systemctl status NetworkManager.service" returns "device state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'supplicant-failed')

Hopefully this will lead to some answers...

Sweet zombie jesus!

#3 2012-04-25 19:51:14

drewofdoom
Website

Not sure what I was missing, but wicd seems to be connecting now.  Going to give NM another shot and see if that's still fubared.  Installed some additional things, not sure if that's helping anything.

Sweet zombie jesus!

#4 2012-04-25 20:10:26

drewofdoom
Website

NetworkManager is still having the same issue.  It seems like it's having some sort of problem talking to wpa_supplicant.  Wicd is still working just fine, however, and the wicd-kde interface is perfectly usable, so I'm marking this thread as "Solved."

Sweet zombie jesus!

Board footer