You are not logged in.

#451 2012-04-26 00:07:28

chenxiaolong

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

triplesquarednine wrote:

[Go to lp:compiz-plugins-main and search the bug reports for 'cmake'. I 1st submitted a bug report a couple of days ago, then in another bug report i made a comment directly to Sam about it. Rufflove (who maintains compiz-bzr/dev in AUR) also, made a comment to the devs elsewhere on LP, a day or two ago.

Thanks! I'll let them know about the patch, so they don't waste their efforts on fixing something that's not wrong with Compiz.

#452 2012-04-26 00:09:17

chenxiaolong

fat0troll wrote:

unity crashes when I hovering main menu icon, or indicators panel, or choosing "applications" lense (strange random crashes, really).

When it crashed one time it will crash on every start if didn't clean settings as described in github's README.

Here is the trace: http://paste.kde.org/463760/

Any suggestions?

I'll push some updates to the git repo that should fix the issue as soon as I can smile

#453 2012-04-26 00:10:58

triplesquarednine

chenxiaolong wrote:

Thanks! I'll let them know about the patch, so they don't waste their efforts on fixing something that's not wrong with Compiz.

They already know that. My bug was marked 'invalid' (as i requested on lp:), and i mentioned to Sam that the problem was a Cmake update. I also explained that cmake 2.8.7 works fine, while 2.8.8 didn't.

I'm sure they know compiz isn't the issue.

cheerz

#454 2012-04-26 03:14:30

chenxiaolong

triplesquarednine wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

They already know that. My bug was marked 'invalid' (as i requested on lp:), and i mentioned to Sam that the problem was a Cmake update. I also explained that cmake 2.8.7 works fine, while 2.8.8 didn't.

I'm sure they know compiz isn't the issue.

cheerz

Ahh..okay. Thanks for telling them.

#455 2012-04-26 12:37:26

fat0troll

chenxiaolong wrote:

I'll push some updates to the git repo that should fix the issue as soon as I can smile

thank you smile with all the hope will wait fixes smile

#456 2012-04-26 15:27:00

rufflove

Good to hear there is a cmake fix in the pipe. smile

"Its too big and too slow"

#457 2012-04-26 20:08:19

triplesquarednine

rufflove wrote:

Good to hear there is a cmake fix in the pipe. smile

It's fixed in cmake.git (master).

David Cole (a Cmake dev) contacted me via Launchpad, and asked if i would test Cmake.git for him. I've just completed that (with success) and reported back to him.

So it was a bug and has been resolved upstream smile

cheerz

EDIT: you can see he contacted me via my compiz bug report (just scroll down).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-plugi … bug/987805

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2012-04-26 20:09:48)

#458 2012-04-26 20:10:27

chenxiaolong

2012-04-26 Update notes:

1. geoclue is required by webkit, so it's now in the extra repo. Please install that version with:

pacman -S geoclue

2. Some packages were renamed, so that regular Arch Linux updates don't overwrite them:

xorg-server -> xorg-server-ubuntu
gsettings-desktop-schemas -> gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu

3. The qt-ubuntu update is required or Qt apps may fail to run. I will post GPG signed packages here when I finish compiling it.

x86_64
qt-ubuntu: http://ompldr.org/vZGpkOA/qt-ubuntu-4.8 … pkg.tar.xz
qt-private-headers-ubuntu: http://ompldr.org/vZGpkZQ/qt-private-he … pkg.tar.xz

GPG signatures:
qt-ubuntu: http://ompldr.org/vZGpkYw/qt-ubuntu-4.8 … tar.xz.asc
qt-private-headers-ubuntu: http://ompldr.org/vZGpkZw/qt-private-he … tar.xz.asc

i686
qt-ubuntu: http://ompldr.org/vZGplZQ/qt-ubuntu-4.8 … pkg.tar.xz
qt-private-headers-ubuntu: http://ompldr.org/vZGplZw/qt-private-he … pkg.tar.xz

GPG signatures:
qt-ubuntu: http://ompldr.org/vZGplZg/qt-ubuntu-4.8 … tar.xz.asc
qt-private-headers-ubuntu: http://ompldr.org/vZGplaA/qt-private-he … tar.xz.asc

Verifying GPG signatures
Please verify the GPG signatures by running:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 90EFF32C # Import my public key
for i in *.asc; do gpg --verify ${i}; done # Verify the signatures

In the second command, you should see:

gpg: Good signature from "Xiao-Long Chen <chenxiaolong@cxl.epac.to>"

4. If Unity was installed before the GNOME 3.4 update, please reinstall all the packages, because the GNOME 3.4 update bumped some library versions. For example, icu's version was bumped to 49, so any program needing libicuuc.so.48 will not run. If you don't have the time to recompile everything, it should be okay to not recompile these:

* qt related packages (qt-ubuntu still must be updated)
* indicator packages and libraries
* utouch packages
* plasma-widget-menubar
* xfce4-indicator-plugin
* gtest
* gmock
* check
* gnome-menus2
* fixesproto-ubuntu
* libxfixes-ubuntu

EDIT: Still testing: not sure if Unity still segfaults

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-04-27 18:36:42)

#459 2012-04-26 21:47:42

rufflove

Is there any chance you could post an i686 package for qt-ubuntu too? Your i7 rig is a lot faster than anything I have here, but if you're not setup for building 32-bit packages, don't worry, its about time I started building packages for Core Duo Macbook on my faster desktop machine instead... I'm just playing around with the code from unity-2d-panel 5.10 atm, but not getting very far without the Ubuntu patched Qt package.

Also, would it possible to set the dependencies to standard package names, where there is no hard depedency on the -ubuntu version? For example, the indicator-datetime package requires gnome-control-center-ubuntu, but it works OK with the standard package from the official repo. It'd be nice to be able to install the indicators, overlay-scrollbars etc. without having to edit the PKGBUILDs every time in order to avoid pulling in other Ubuntu patched packages, unnecessarily. But again, no worries if it is a pain in the butt to implement...

Thank you very much for providing all these packages, what a great resource!

#460 2012-04-27 07:02:45

chenxiaolong

rufflove wrote:

Is there any chance you could post an i686 package for qt-ubuntu too? Your i7 rig is a lot faster than anything I have here, but if you're not setup for building 32-bit packages, don't worry, its about time I started building packages for Core Duo Macbook on my faster desktop machine instead... I'm just playing around with the code from unity-2d-panel 5.10 atm, but not getting very far without the Ubuntu patched Qt package.

Absolutely smile I'll set up a chroot and compile an i686 package (hopefully this works big_smile).

rufflove wrote:

Also, would it possible to set the dependencies to standard package names, where there is no hard depedency on the -ubuntu version? For example, the indicator-datetime package requires gnome-control-center-ubuntu, but it works OK with the standard package from the official repo. It'd be nice to be able to install the indicators, overlay-scrollbars etc. without having to edit the PKGBUILDs every time in order to avoid pulling in other Ubuntu patched packages, unnecessarily. But again, no worries if it is a pain in the butt to implement...

Hmmm...this could be very time consuming to do all the packages. But if you find a dependency where the -ubuntu version is not needed, please let me know, and I will change it smile

rufflove wrote:

Thank you very much for providing all these packages, what a great resource!

You're welcome! I'm glad your enjoy the packages.

#461 2012-04-27 07:06:32

chenxiaolong

Unfortunately, I can't get Unity 3D to work right now. I've tried using:

1. Build fixes for gcc 4.7 -> segmentation fault
2. Build with gcc 4.6.3 (that thing is even larger than Qt...takes forever to compile) -> also segmentation fault
3. Compile files with gcc 4.6.3 that gcc 4.7 cannot compile and then compile the rest of the code with gcc 4.7 (yes, I'm an idiot) -> messes everything up; compiz cannot load libunityshell.so; but no crash!

So, for now, we can only use Unity 2D.

#462 2012-04-27 08:23:48

roi.dm

chenxiaolong wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't get Unity 3D to work right now. I've tried using:

1. Build fixes for gcc 4.7 -> segmentation fault
2. Build with gcc 4.6.3 (that thing is even larger than Qt...takes forever to compile) -> also segmentation fault
3. Compile files with gcc 4.6.3 that gcc 4.7 cannot compile and then compile the rest of the code with gcc 4.7 (yes, I'm an idiot) -> messes everything up; compiz cannot load libunityshell.so; but no crash!

So, for now, we can only use Unity 2D.

I had this problem too and it was the nux pkg compiled with gcc 4.7 , downgraded to gcc 4.6.3 and unity 5.10-ubuntu6 is working fine

#463 2012-04-27 13:33:46

rufflove

roi.dm wrote:

I had this problem too and it was the nux pkg compiled with gcc 4.7 , downgraded to gcc 4.6.3 and unity 5.10-ubuntu6 is working fine

Nicely diagnosed. anpu has recently added a gcc46 package to the AUR, which  should hopefully avoid the need to downgrade gcc et al.

chenxiaolong wrote:

Absolutely smile I'll set up a chroot and compile an i686 package (hopefully this works big_smile).

I've been meaning to set one up for a while. I have a Debian pbuilder setup for making x86 packages for my embedded server, but never got around to creating a chroot for making Arch packages for my x86 Macbook... Don't put yourself out though, if you don't have a chroot setup already, please don't trouble yourself, I'll do it myself. I doubt there are many people wanting an x86 package, anyway.

chenxiaolong wrote:

Hmmm...this could be very time consuming to do all the packages. But if you find a dependency where the -ubuntu version is not needed, please let me know, and I will change it

Will do smile indicator-datetime only requires gnome-control-center, that I know. It no longer displays multiple timezones in the dropdown menu without gnome-control-center-ubuntu, but hey... It seems to be the way with alot of the Ubuntu patches; many only make cosmetic changes or add superfluous features. I tend to selectively apply the ones that add indicator support or provide useful fixes when adding them to the stock Arch PKGBUILDs.

Last edited by rufflove (2012-04-27 13:34:31)

#464 2012-04-27 18:44:27

chenxiaolong

roi.dm wrote:

Thanks! I'm going to try to find a way so gcc 4.6.3 won't have to be compiled, while not providing prebuilt libraries.

#465 2012-04-27 18:57:24

chenxiaolong

rufflove wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

I've been meaning to set one up for a while. I have a Debian pbuilder setup for making x86 packages for my embedded server, but never got around to creating a chroot for making Arch packages for my x86 Macbook... Don't put yourself out though, if you don't have a chroot setup already, please don't trouble yourself, I'll do it myself. I doubt there are many people wanting an x86 package, anyway.

The packages are already done though (links in post 458) big_smile It was really easy to create the chroot with devtools. I wish there was something like Debian's pbuilder or Fedora's mock for Arch Linux. devtools just does not compare sad

rufflove wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Hmmm...this could be very time consuming to do all the packages. But if you find a dependency where the -ubuntu version is not needed, please let me know, and I will change it

Will do smile indicator-datetime only requires gnome-control-center, that I know. It no longer displays multiple timezones in the dropdown menu without gnome-control-center-ubuntu, but hey... It seems to be the way with alot of the Ubuntu patches; many only make cosmetic changes or add superfluous features. I tend to selectively apply the ones that add indicator support or provide useful fixes when adding them to the stock Arch PKGBUILDs.

Done smile https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … d96956f022

Also, if you want, I can make changes to PKGBUILD's to allow only the useful patches to be applied. I'm thinking something like this:

MINIMAL_PATCHES=true makepkg -fsi

I don't really care for the patches that only do things like changing "Bluetooth Preferences" to "Bluetooth Settings" either big_smile

#466 2012-04-27 21:03:06

pientertje

After trying ubuntu 12.04 the other day I really liked unity, but I couldn't get myself to change to ubuntu. Therefore I decided to try to get unity working on arch x64. Currently I am running all the makepkg files and I will finish this tomorrow.

Is there anything important that i need to take into account?

Last edited by pientertje (2012-04-27 21:20:52)

#467 2012-04-27 21:06:25

chenxiaolong

pientertje wrote:

After trying ubuntu 12.04 the other day I really liked unity, but I couldn't get myself from changing to ubuntu. Therefore I decided to try to get unity working on arch x64. Currently I am running all the makepkg files and I will finish this tomorrow.

Is there anything important that i need to take into account?

As long as you follow the order in the README file, you should be okay. Unity and nux is currently broken because of gcc 4.7.0, but in a few minutes, I will be pushing a change that fixes the problem.

I hope you enjoy Unity-on-Arch big_smile

#468 2012-04-27 21:15:22

chenxiaolong

Unity is working again!

Thanks to roi.dm for finding the cause of the issue and rufflove for finding the gcc46 package. To fix the problem, both nux and unity need to be compiled with gcc 4.6.3. I've compiled the gcc46 package from the AUR for i686 and x86_64 (GPG signed, of course) and the PKGBUILD will download and use it to compile.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-04-27 21:15:44)

#469 2012-04-27 21:19:09

pientertje

Thanks! Tomorrow I will continue compiling nux after a "git pull".

Do I need other packages to get the full "ubuntu expierence"? I mean things like the settings application, themes, icons etc.

#470 2012-04-27 21:28:41

chenxiaolong

pientertje wrote:

Thanks! Tomorrow I will continue compiling nux after a "git pull".

Do I need other packages to get the full "ubuntu expierence"? I mean things like the settings application, themes, icons etc.

You're welcome!

The themes, icons, ubuntu-tweak, etc. are in the Unity-for-Arch-Extra repo: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch-Extra The only thing missing there is the Ubuntu font. The Ubuntu font is already in the community repo, so you can just install ttf-ubuntu-font-family with pacman.

To change the theme and font, just use gnome-tweak-tool smile

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you use Firefox, the global menu extension can be installed from the AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=55724

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-04-27 21:29:42)

#471 2012-04-28 06:11:43

chenxiaolong

Just another update:

When I get my computer back from the repair center (probably Tuesday), I'll push notify-osd and accountsservice-ubuntu to the Unity-for-Arch-Extra repo. accountsservice-ubuntu adds the feature where the LightDM background is changed to the user's background when the username is clicked.

#472 2012-04-28 10:55:59

pientertje

chenxiaolong, what a great job you did here!

everything compiles fine, except for the indicator sound package. It gives this error:

configure: error: Package requirements (dbusmenu-glib-0.4 >= 0.3.101
                                     indicator-0.4
                                     gee-1.0
                                     gio-unix-2.0
                                     libxml-2.0) were not met:

No package 'gee-1.0' found

complete log:
http://pastebin.com/vXUc3Trm

I also have another issue. The xorg-server ubuntu is based on xorg-server 1.12.1, but because of my fglrx drivers I need xorg-server 1.11. I can't switch to the opensource drivers because my card is not (yet) supported. What would you suggest?

Last edited by pientertje (2012-04-28 11:03:02)

#473 2012-04-28 15:23:25

chenxiaolong

pientertje wrote:

chenxiaolong, what a great job you did here!

everything compiles fine, except for the indicator sound package. It gives this error:

configure: error: Package requirements (dbusmenu-glib-0.4 >= 0.3.101
                                     indicator-0.4
                                     gee-1.0
                                     gio-unix-2.0
                                     libxml-2.0) were not met:

No package 'gee-1.0' found

complete log:
http://pastebin.com/vXUc3Trm

Ooops, I'll add that to the dependencies smile "gee-1.0" is provided by the libgee package in the repositories.

pientertje wrote:

I also have another issue. The xorg-server ubuntu is based on xorg-server 1.12.1, but because of my fglrx drivers I need xorg-server 1.11. I can't switch to the opensource drivers because my card is not (yet) supported. What would you suggest?

I can create a package for xorg-server 1.11.4. It's actually much easier to do than 1.12.1, since Ubuntu uses 1.11.4. I'll post a link here when it's ready.

xorg-server-ubuntu-1.11 (source package): http://ompldr.org/vZGpyeg/xorg-server-1 … src.tar.gz

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-04-28 16:03:52)

#474 2012-04-28 16:38:46

chenxiaolong

Update notes for 2012-04-28:

1. IMPORTANT glib2-ubuntu must be updated due to a libffi update.

2. dee is now in the community repo. Please install that version with:

pacman -S dee

3. xorg-server-ubuntu-1.11 is now available in the Unity-for-Arch git repo for fglrx users (thanks to pientertje for letting me know!).

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-04-28 16:40:27)

#475 2012-04-28 18:44:53

pientertje

Those catalyst drivers are driving me crazy, the support for my new card (HD7750) is terrible. I get artifacts everywhere, even when scrolling my browser. The problem occurs with Arch (KDE) and a clean ubuntu install. I guess I will have to wait for the new version before I can use linux again. When te new version of the catalyst driver becomes available I will help getting unity working.

Last edited by pientertje (2012-04-28 18:45:05)

Board footer