You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-26 04:12:14

train_wreck

Buffer bloat?

Just wondering if this is a real thing I should be concerned with? I've heard of it mentioned as a common problem in many home routers (many of which are linux based) and I currently have an Arch machine as a NAT router/traffic log system. This site says I have 430ms of outbound buffer time and 930ms inbound. But I dunno, I don't seem to notice any particular slowness when doing multiple things as the same time, in fact my roomate will usually leave his bitorrent on overnight while I stream video or something and I never notice a difference. If it is something legit, how would I go about fixing it? Thoughts?

#2 2012-04-26 05:12:13

Gcool

Re: Buffer bloat?

Just had a quick look at the test. I suppose you're referring to the "Network buffer measurements" output in the test.

Long story short; I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're not experiencing any issues. There are too many unknown variables (any network equipment outside of your local lan) for that type of test to be 100% reliable.

Burninate!

#3 2012-04-27 15:11:25

train_wreck

Re: Buffer bloat?

I see. From what I've read there appear to be a litany of different buffers spread across not only a single router but, as you said, any server or device along the path. Apparently there's no simple magic bullet, so to speak, that resolves this.

meh whatevs. I've got a rebooting-every-few-hours cable modem that's higher on the list at the moment. *sigh*

Board footer