You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-25 20:16:58

kozaki
Website

[SOLVED]iptables How2 access web server on gateway from LAN?

Hi,

I installed Arch Linux with iptables / masquerading and a zope server on an old PII with 2 NIC cards. Everithing runs fine so far, with SSH access to the server from LAN smile

Now I just can't figure out how may I get access to the zope site on the server from LAN :
neither public IP nore LAN's server/gateway IP are accessibles from the LAN sad

IPTABLES config for the LAN (eth1) looks like this :

iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth1 -j ACCEPT

I need access to the zope portal as I'm its administrator lol

Do you know how to enable this ?

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

#2 2005-08-26 10:55:48

kozaki
Website

Re: [SOLVED]iptables How2 access web server on gateway from LAN?

As for Zope (that one on AL server as well as the previous version that was running on my desktop PC), I tell it to listen on local IP. 'cause if i tell it to listen on my external IP, it fails to answer any request.
Same thing happens if I make it runs on my desktop PC (GW NATing external requests to it).

Now, it might be different when one's web server runs on a gateway, but this is unclear to me !

PS : note that Peter Harrison says on his excellent iptables page :

As a general rule, you won't be able to access the public NAT IP addresses from servers on your home network. Basic NAT testing requires you to ask a friend to try to connect to your home network from the Internet.

laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

#3 2005-08-26 16:29:33

kozaki
Website

Re: [SOLVED]iptables How2 access web server on gateway from LAN?

Solved smile

Well, actually Zope was configured to listen to 'localhost' IP since that worked (from outside as well as locally) fine when it runned on my Desktop PC.

Now when i installed it on the gateway PC, I first configured it to listen to my ISP's provided IP, but it didn't run this way, so i runned back & told it to listen to 127.0.0.1 as before...

... until I made a better iptables configuration !

I just tried again :
- tell Zope to listen to my ISP's provided IP,
- try to access it from my desktop PC
and that just runs fine big_smile

My problem was an uncomplete iptables configuration, then a wrong configuration of the web server. Both corrected now

Board footer