You are not logged in.

#526 2012-05-09 13:43:48

soppy

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

chenxiaolong wrote:

activity-log-manager order is fixed. A build log would be nice when you feel a little bit more awake big_smile

Seems like there was more wrong with my Arch Installation than I thought. I just spent all day recompiling on a fresh install of Arch and I got no errors. Same thing with the -j5 option on some packages, they all worked. So no complaints. big_smile

chenxiaolong wrote:

Oh yeah, it might not be very scientific, but "-j8" has always seemed to be faster on my i7 laptop smile

Yea, I don't know why I didn't use more first time around. I used -j9 second time and it worked beautifully. smile

After a day's use I've not seen any real problems on this so all in all good build!!! There are a few annoyances like sometimes minimized winodws won't redraw or my Dash and such disappears for a few seconds.  Nothing really that bad though.  I don't really understand all the hate towards Unity.  It really is a great desktop, and that's coming from someone who has used Openbox for the past 2 years. The only things I didn't install were all the QT bindings (I know my laptop is good enough to run Unity3D so I didn't need any of the Unity2D dependencies) and the scroll bars.  I like my scroll bars just the way they are. big_smile Hopefully the HUD remains optional...That is the one thing I am really iffy about.  All the programs that I use I already know the shortcuts to or know the location of the option in the menu.  So that would change my workflow.  Great work chenxiaolong!!!

#527 2012-05-09 13:55:30

quasifilmie

Yeah sorry I don't actually mention virtualbox in the post. Just that I am getting the same libgnome-control-center error.  I had to compile that and gnome-settings-daemon first before activity-log-manager. And I had the same problem again last night.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1061435

Last edited by quasifilmie (2012-05-09 13:55:56)

#528 2012-05-09 14:49:57

chenxiaolong

quasifilmie wrote:

Yeah sorry I don't actually mention virtualbox in the post. Just that I am getting the same libgnome-control-center error.  I had to compile that and gnome-settings-daemon first before activity-log-manager. And I had the same problem again last night.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1061435

Hmm...could you post the package list of gnome-control-center-ubuntu? The libgnome-control-center library is part of the Ubuntu version of gnome-control-center.

pacman -Ql gnome-control-center-ubuntu

#529 2012-05-09 15:05:06

chenxiaolong

soppy wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

activity-log-manager order is fixed. A build log would be nice when you feel a little bit more awake big_smile

Seems like there was more wrong with my Arch Installation than I thought. I just spent all day recompiling on a fresh install of Arch and I got no errors. Same thing with the -j5 option on some packages, they all worked. So no complaints. big_smile

Awesome!

soppy wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Oh yeah, it might not be very scientific, but "-j8" has always seemed to be faster on my i7 laptop smile

Yea, I don't know why I didn't use more first time around. I used -j9 second time and it worked beautifully. smile

After a day's use I've not seen any real problems on this so all in all good build!!! There are a few annoyances like sometimes minimized winodws won't redraw or my Dash and such disappears for a few seconds.  Nothing really that bad though.  I don't really understand all the hate towards Unity.  It really is a great desktop, and that's coming from someone who has used Openbox for the past 2 years. The only things I didn't install were all the QT bindings (I know my laptop is good enough to run Unity3D so I didn't need any of the Unity2D dependencies) and the scroll bars.  I like my scroll bars just the way they are. big_smile Hopefully the HUD remains optional...That is the one thing I am really iffy about.  All the programs that I use I already know the shortcuts to or know the location of the option in the menu.  So that would change my workflow.  Great work chenxiaolong!!!

I'm glad you like Unity-for-Arch big_smile

I've also been having a problem with the panel always being on top of full screen programs. I'm sure it will be fixed soon though smile I hope the HUD remains optional too with a setting to completely disable it. It's quite annoying how it pops up whenever I use a shortcut that contains Alt. I don't understand all the hate towards Unity either. I see a lot of people complain that it's a "tablet UI", but to me, it can be controlled with a keyboard better than any other DE. Plus, it integrates well with everything smile

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-05-09 15:09:52)

#530 2012-05-09 15:19:22

quasifilmie

Here is the pacman output http://pastie.org/3884720

chenxiaolong wrote:

I've also been having a problem with the panel always being on top of full screen programs. I'm sure it will be fixed soon though smile I hope the HUD remains optional too with a setting to completely disable it. It's quite annoying how it pops up whenever I use a shortcut that contains Alt. I don't understand all the hate towards Unity either. I see a lot of people complain that it's a "tablet UI", but to me, it can be controlled with a keyboard better than any other DE. Plus, it integrates well with everything smile

You can change the hud keyboard shortcut in keyboard settings. I made it alt+win because I use alt with the right and left arrow a lot in chromium. Anyways, shuttleworth has said HUD would be much better by 12.10. Hopefully this means mouse-friendly smile

Edit: I was not clear in my post above sorry. activity-log-manager would NOT compile without gnome-control-center-ubuntu and gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu being installed FIRST.

Last edited by quasifilmie (2012-05-09 15:22:18)

#531 2012-05-09 15:45:06

chenxiaolong

quasifilmie wrote:

Here is the pacman output http://pastie.org/3884720

chenxiaolong wrote:

You can change the hud keyboard shortcut in keyboard settings. I made it alt+win because I use alt with the right and left arrow a lot in chromium. Anyways, shuttleworth has said HUD would be much better by 12.10. Hopefully this means mouse-friendly smile

Edit: I was not clear in my post above sorry. activity-log-manager would NOT compile without gnome-control-center-ubuntu and gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu being installed FIRST.

That's exactly what I use alt for too smile I didn't know that the keyboard shortcut could be changed. Thanks for telling me!

As for the activity-log-manager issue, I have moved it below gnome-control-center-ubuntu in the README and added gnome-control-center-ubuntu to the dependencies smile

EDIT: Is there still an issue with indicator-datetime?

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-05-09 15:45:24)

#532 2012-05-09 19:12:06

quasifilmie

chenxiaolong wrote:

EDIT: Is there still an issue with indicator-datetime?

No, it compiles fine.

#533 2012-05-09 20:31:49

Kirurgs

Hi,

great work, really smile
Please add python-distutils-extra as dependency for unity-lens-video.

thanks
Kirurgs

Last edited by Kirurgs (2012-05-09 20:32:11)

#534 2012-05-10 01:04:01

chenxiaolong

Kirurgs wrote:

Hi,

great work, really smile
Please add python-distutils-extra as dependency for unity-lens-video.

thanks
Kirurgs

Done big_smile

#535 2012-05-10 15:47:19

mr_comic
Website

Hey, I'm back. After using Ubuntu 12.04 for a month or so I'm back to Arch and the first thing I did was install unity again and I noticed that now there are less packages and I'm loving it as always.

Now I have this doubt, Is it posible to do a minimal gnome install to have only unity? What packages should be installed?

Anyways, still surprises me that unity runs more smooth in Arch than in Ubuntu itself.

#536 2012-05-10 16:32:10

chenxiaolong

mr_comic wrote:

Hey, I'm back. After using Ubuntu 12.04 for a month or so I'm back to Arch and the first thing I did was install unity again and I noticed that now there are less packages and I'm loving it as always.

Now I have this doubt, Is it posible to do a minimal gnome install to have only unity? What packages should be installed?

Anyways, still surprises me that unity runs more smooth in Arch than in Ubuntu itself.

Welcome back! A lot of packages now work with the upstream versions and some packages have been added to the repositories. I can't wait until the day where this project has 0 packages big_smile

I'm not sure about sure about the minimal install, but this is what I would choose:

(when running "pacman -S gnome")

gnome-control-center
gnome-desktop
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-keyring
gnome-screensaver
gnome-session
gnome-settings-daemon
gnome-terminal
gnome-themes-standard
nautilus
notification-daemon

#537 2012-05-11 01:20:22

sollidsnake

I'm getting an error when I try to compile unity. Here's the log.
http://codepad.org/anirRnar

Also I'm getting this when I try to run What_can_I_update.py

[jesse@myhost Unity-for-Arch]$ python3 What_can_I_update\?.py 
./PKGBUILD: line 8: error: command not found
./PKGBUILD: line 9: msg: command not found
./PKGBUILD: line 13: msg: command not found

Non serviam

#538 2012-05-11 02:28:03

chenxiaolong

sollidsnake wrote:

Could you try removing the pkg/ and src/ directories and then recompiling? From the build logs, it seems that CMake is detecting a previous build.

As for the Update script issue, sorry about that. I'll fix it as soon as I can smile

#539 2012-05-11 03:47:27

sollidsnake

chenxiaolong wrote:
sollidsnake wrote:

Could you try removing the pkg/ and src/ directories and then recompiling? From the build logs, it seems that CMake is detecting a previous build.

As for the Update script issue, sorry about that. I'll fix it as soon as I can smile

Thank you so much! Removing those folders did it. smile
Unity is running perfectly. I'm just having a issue with the themes. Adwaiata looks just fine, but when I change to another theme the contrast doesn't look normal. Here is some screenshots:

Adwaiata theme
http://postimage.org/image/pdubtnnkr/

Mint theme (also happens with any other theme)
http://postimage.org/image/4fsr9bd3v/

Am I the only one having this issue? Does anyone have any idea?

Non serviam

#540 2012-05-11 04:58:50

chenxiaolong

sollidsnake wrote:

Thank you so much! Removing those folders did it. smile
Unity is running perfectly. I'm just having a issue with the themes. Adwaiata looks just fine, but when I change to another theme the contrast doesn't look normal. Here is some screenshots:

Adwaiata theme
http://postimage.org/image/pdubtnnkr/

Mint theme (also happens with any other theme)
http://postimage.org/image/4fsr9bd3v/

Am I the only one having this issue? Does anyone have any idea?

You're welcome!

It seems that the themes that are broken haven't been updated for GNOME 3.4 yet. For example, if you use the Mint theme, and then try to run a GTK 3 program from the terminal, like "gnome-control-center", you will see a lot of:

Theme parsing error: unity.css:8:16: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

If you use a GNOME 3.4 theme, like Adwaita, Zukini, or Holo, that doesn't happen. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon smile

By the way, the update script should work now big_smile

#541 2012-05-12 17:11:41

saad

Hi, I finished compiling and installing Unity from your git repository, Unity runs as expected, except that the gtk theme isn't applied (it's the ugly default one with square edges...). and  when I try to change the theme via the menu nothing happens.

I thought this has something to do with gnome-settings-daemon, so I tried to check if it's running

~ $ killall gnome-settings-daemon
gnome-settings-daemon: no process found

so it isn't running, and when I tried to run it I get this

~ $ gnome-settings-daemon 

(gnome-settings-daemon:4544): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get EDID for output
[1336842170,000,xklavier.c:xkl_engine_start_listen/] 	The backend does not require manual layout management - but it is provided by the application

(gnome-settings-daemon:4544): keyboard-plugin-WARNING **: Failed to set the keyboard layouts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such method `SetXKeyboardLayouts'
Segmentation fault

Do you have any idea what may be causing this? thanks

#542 2012-05-12 17:26:03

chenxiaolong

saad wrote:

Hi, I finished compiling and installing Unity from your git repository, Unity runs as expected, except that the gtk theme isn't applied (it's the ugly default one with square edges...). and  when I try to change the theme via the menu nothing happens.

I thought this has something to do with gnome-settings-daemon, so I tried to check if it's running

~ $ killall gnome-settings-daemon
gnome-settings-daemon: no process found

so it isn't running, and when I tried to run it I get this

~ $ gnome-settings-daemon 

(gnome-settings-daemon:4544): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get EDID for output
[1336842170,000,xklavier.c:xkl_engine_start_listen/] 	The backend does not require manual layout management - but it is provided by the application

(gnome-settings-daemon:4544): keyboard-plugin-WARNING **: Failed to set the keyboard layouts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such method `SetXKeyboardLayouts'
Segmentation fault

Do you have any idea what may be causing this? thanks

Wow, I've never seen gnome-settings-daemon crash before. Are you able to log in to a regular GNOME session? If not, could you see if the regular gnome-settings-daemon works? You might have to ignore dependencies with:

pacman -Sdd gnome-settings-daemon

#543 2012-05-12 18:31:32

saad

chenxiaolong wrote:

Wow, I've never seen gnome-settings-daemon crash before. Are you able to log in to a regular GNOME session? If not, could you see if the regular gnome-settings-daemon works? You might have to ignore dependencies with:

pacman -Sdd gnome-settings-daemon

thanks for your quick answer, I'm able to log to regular gnome session, but the same problem stays, gnome-settings-daemon is not running.
I tried to install regular gnome-sesstion-daemon as you suggested, everything seems to work fine now. any logical explanation ?

another unrelated problem i noticed, is that the menu bar on applications, nautilus for example, appears twice, once on the top of nautilus and a second time on the global menu, how do I keep just the one on the global menu?
Edit :
this only happens with gtk3 applications, gtk2 and qt application don't have this problem. any idea how to make gtk3 apps behave as expected?
http://ompldr.org/vZHB5Nw

thanks again for your answer, and for this great work on unity.

Last edited by saad (2012-05-12 19:27:00)

#544 2012-05-12 22:25:31

chenxiaolong

saad wrote:

thanks for your quick answer, I'm able to log to regular gnome session, but the same problem stays, gnome-settings-daemon is not running.
I tried to install regular gnome-sesstion-daemon as you suggested, everything seems to work fine now. any logical explanation ?

Since you mentioned that the regular gnome-session-daemon works, I looked at the Arch Linux PKGBUILD, and sure enough, Arch Linux had a few patches that fixes some bugs. I've just pushed a change that applies the same patches. Would you mind running "git pull" and then compiling gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu again?

saad wrote:

another unrelated problem i noticed, is that the menu bar on applications, nautilus for example, appears twice, once on the top of nautilus and a second time on the global menu, how do I keep just the one on the global menu?
Edit :
this only happens with gtk3 applications, gtk2 and qt application don't have this problem. any idea how to make gtk3 apps behave as expected?
http://ompldr.org/vZHB5Nw

I'm guessing this is due to the appmenu-gtk package. appmenu-gtk is actually a split package, which creates appmenu-gtk2-<version>.pkg.tar.xz and appmenu-gtk3-<version>.pkg.tar.xz. Could you check to see if you have the gtk3 version installed?

saad wrote:

thanks again for your answer, and for this great work on unity.

You're welcome! I hope to get everything sorted out for you so you can enjoy Unity smile

#545 2012-05-13 00:11:18

saad

chenxiaolong wrote:

Since you mentioned that the regular gnome-session-daemon works, I looked at the Arch Linux PKGBUILD, and sure enough, Arch Linux had a few patches that fixes some bugs. I've just pushed a change that applies the same patches. Would you mind running "git pull" and then compiling gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu again?

unfortunatly it doesn't change much, gnome-settings-daemon (ubuntu's) still crashes, why arch's one works without problems, I have no idea why.

chenxiaolong wrote:

I'm guessing this is due to the appmenu-gtk package. appmenu-gtk is actually a split package, which creates appmenu-gtk2-<version>.pkg.tar.xz and appmenu-gtk3-<version>.pkg.tar.xz. Could you check to see if you have the gtk3 version installed?

Actually I have already checked that and appmenu-gtk3 is installed, any other suggestions? thanks

#546 2012-05-13 00:47:13

chenxiaolong

saad wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

unfortunatly it doesn't change much, gnome-settings-daemon (ubuntu's) still crashes, why arch's one works without problems, I have no idea why.

chenxiaolong wrote:

Actually I have already checked that and appmenu-gtk3 is installed, any other suggestions? thanks

Darn. Could you post your ~/.xsession-errors file and the terminal output when running any affected GTK 3 program?

#547 2012-05-13 01:48:04

saad

chenxiaolong wrote:

Darn. Could you post your ~/.xsession-errors file and the terminal output when running any affected GTK 3 program?

running a gtk3 program from the terminal doesn't give any errors, here's my .xsession-errors file (it's the same with gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu)

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:saad being added to access control list
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session --session=ubuntu
gnome-session[4200]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/saad/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[4200]: WARNING: could not read /home/saad/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop
gnome-session[4200]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/saad/.config/autostart/xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[4200]: WARNING: could not read /home/saad/.config/autostart/xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop
gnome-session[4200]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /home/saad/.config/autostart/xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop: Key file does not have key 'Name'
gnome-session[4200]: WARNING: could not read /home/saad/.config/autostart/xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/saad/.cache/keyring-DCLMel
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/saad/.cache/keyring-DCLMel/ssh
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/home/saad/.cache/keyring-DCLMel/gpg:0:1
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/home/saad/.cache/keyring-DCLMel/gpg:0:1

(gnome-settings-daemon:4238): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get EDID for output

(gnome-settings-daemon:4238): color-plugin-WARNING **: unable to get EDID for xrandr-default: unable to get EDID for output

(gnome-settings-daemon:4238): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to reset xrandr-default gamma tables: gamma size is zero
Checking if settings need to be migrated ...no
Checking if internal files need to be migrated ...yes
[LOG]: Moving Internal Files
[LOG]: Copying subdirectory from /home/saad/.compiz/session to /home/saad/.compiz-1/session
[LOG]: Copied file /home/saad/.compiz/session/107bafee3e156d257f133687040011440900000029890029 to /home/saad/.compiz-1/session/107bafee3e156d257f133687040011440900000029890029
[LOG]: Successfully moved internal files
Backend     : gconf
Integration : true
Profile     : unity
Adding plugins
Initializing core options...done
Initializing composite options...done
Initializing opengl options...done
Initializing decor options...done
Initializing vpswitch options...done
Initializing snap options...done
Initializing mousepoll options...done
Initializing resize options...done
Initializing place options...done
Initializing move options...done
Initializing wall options...done
Initializing grid options...done
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/saad/.compiz/session/10cf2988366cc96522133687257118848700000042000029"
Initializing session options...done
Initializing gnomecompat options...done
Initializing animation options...done
Initializing fade options...done
Initializing unitymtgrabhandles options...done
Initializing workarounds options...done
Initializing scale options...done
compiz (expo) - Warn: failed to bind image to texture
Initializing expo options...done
Initializing ezoom options...done

(compiz:4258): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_client_add_dir: assertion `gconf_valid_key (dirname, NULL)' failed
Initializing unityshell options...done
ERROR 2012-05-13 02:29:36 unity.glib-gobject <unknown>:0 g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Setting Update "main_menu_key"
Setting Update "run_key"
Setting Update "icon_size"
which: no kwin in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/java6/bin:/opt/java6/db/bin:/opt/java6/jre/bin:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl)
Starting gtk-window-decorator
WARN  2012-05-13 02:29:41 unity <unknown>:0 Unable to fetch children: No such interface `org.ayatana.bamf.view' on object at path /org/ayatana/bamf/application829906520

WARN  2012-05-13 02:29:43 unity.glib.dbusproxy GLibDBusProxy.cpp:283 Calling method "InfoRequest" on object path: "/net/launchpad/lens/video" failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface `com.canonical.Unity.Lens' on object at path /net/launchpad/lens/video
WARN  2012-05-13 02:29:43 unity.glib.dbusproxy GLibDBusProxy.cpp:283 Calling method "SetViewType" on object path: "/net/launchpad/lens/video" failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface `com.canonical.Unity.Lens' on object at path /net/launchpad/lens/video
WARN  2012-05-13 02:29:50 unity <unknown>:0 Unable to fetch children: No such interface `org.ayatana.bamf.view' on object at path /org/ayatana/bamf/application1642573751

WARN  2012-05-13 02:29:50 unity <unknown>:0 Unable to fetch children: No such interface `org.ayatana.bamf.view' on object at path /org/ayatana/bamf/application1642573751

WARN  2012-05-13 02:29:51 unity <unknown>:0 Unable to fetch children: No such interface `org.ayatana.bamf.view' on object at path /org/ayatana/bamf/application1642573751

** (zeitgeist-datahub:4528): WARNING **: zeitgeist-datahub.vala:224: Unable to get name "org.gnome.zeitgeist.datahub" on the bus!
WARN  2012-05-13 02:29:52 unity <unknown>:0 Unable to fetch children: No such interface `org.ayatana.bamf.view' on object at path /org/ayatana/bamf/application311805604

WARN  2012-05-13 02:29:52 unity <unknown>:0 Unable to fetch children: No such interface `org.ayatana.bamf.view' on object at path /org/ayatana/bamf/application311805604

Thanks again for your help!

#548 2012-05-13 22:55:44

chenxiaolong

saad wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

running a gtk3 program from the terminal doesn't give any errors, here's my .xsession-errors file (it's the same with gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu)

~/.xsession-errors log

Thanks again for your help!

Unfortunately, you system doesn't seem to be giving any useful error messages sad Could you provide the list of packages you installed?

pacman -Q > installed_packages.txt

At this point, I can only compare to see what's different between your system and mine.

EDIT: If you have the time, could you see if there's still a problem if you create a new user?

EDIT2: I can now reproduce the GTK 3 menu problem. I'll see what I can do to fix it.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-05-14 16:00:50)

#549 2012-05-14 16:12:16

fat0troll

https://gist.github.com/2694780

unity autobuilder based on chenxiaolong's gits smile with (auto)updater, yeah!

Use it at your own risk wink

Script is quick-and-dirty, fixes are welcome smile

#550 2012-05-14 20:59:02

z0id

Is there a repo with compiled packages? ayatana repo seems to be dated.

/usr/bin/drinking

Board footer