You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-13 16:21:52

mkaito
Website

My router can't handle Linux networking

This is easily the weirdest network issue I've faced in my life. And I've seen an unhealthy amount of weird shit during my time as IT Tech Dude. Behold, the mysterious disappearing connection of my router.

Whenever I try downloading (or uploading) anything of significant size (been using a 10G sparse file for testing), the router goes herp derp after about 4 minutes, and kills all network connections. Then, after a few seconds, things go back to normal. During this episode of network void, the router doesn't ever loose network signal, nor does it reboot, or otherwise show any sign of anything being wrong... you know, except the part where no network traffic is sent or received. I've tried different files from different hosts, different programs for uploading and downloading, and I've also changed all involved networking hardware twice, just in case.

I've been quarrelling with my ISP for ages about this. They swear by God that everything is fine on their side, and I've had my network hardware replaced about a dozen times so far. I've got new cables, a new switch, a new router... and a new computer too. Doesn't really change a thing. I've tried with four different computers, with the only thing in common being Arch Linux. Trying this on Windows doesn't pose an issue whatsoever. My Android phone is able to download the same file just fine, too. I'm completely lost as to where to look for answers. Google doesn't really help me either.

I might try sacrificing a goat or a virgin to the Networking Gods...

Fear me! I have root! Sometimes...

#2 2012-05-13 16:31:07

Gcool

Re: My router can't handle Linux networking

Possibly similar to what's in this thread.

Burninate!

#3 2012-05-13 16:35:41

mkaito
Website

Seems to be a wireless issue on a router with custom firmware in that thread.

My router seems to simply drown in packets at some point. I tried playing with the MTU to figure this out. A lower MTU makes the connection drop a lot quicker.

Last edited by mkaito (2012-05-13 16:35:54)

Fear me! I have root! Sometimes...

#4 2012-05-14 00:18:21

nomorewindows

It's possible your router could be needing a firmware update. 
But I've noticed that arch does tend to be hard on 'em.  It takes a few times before it can negotiate them, but eventually it does finally take.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer