You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-03 20:46:16

pYrO1v1aniac

Xorg issue (Keyboard and mouse not recognized)

Hi all, this could be a bit complicated.

I was using ATI Catalyst drivers (I know) with a gnome 3 fallback mode desktop. I had some odd issues, like touchpad taking 2 or 3 minutes to respond when I first boot (though always responding immediately after I plug and unplug a USB mouse), and eventually, possibly due to an update to gnome, the desktop environment began using a VESA driver, instead of FGLRX. I decided it may be a fallback due to an incompatibility between the new Gnome version and Catalyst drivers (or some other weird issue, ATI and all that), but it was the same with KDE, somehow, the system was using the wrong display driver.

I attempted to remove catalyst-daemon, pacman wouldn't do it without also removing the X server. And as-per the instructions on the arch wiki setting up xf86-video-ati, I removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The oddest thing is, on reboot, the system went into the desktop as normal, but somehow, it was still the VESA driver, but now, the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work.

I managed to get into the console and did an xorg --configure as root. startx as root leads me into the gnome desktop, and still no keyboard and mouse.

Possibly during the configuration of fglrx, something got screwed up, but it seems like the system is reading from some unknown configuration file for Xorg, and now (despite that keyboard and mouse were detected during generation of new Xorg.conf file), they still won't work.

I think I'm in way over my head here, and there doesn't seem to be any useful information out there to determine why the system switched drivers seemingly on it's own, and now won't use anything else, but still took it's keyboard and mouse cues from the old xorg.conf file.

Any help would be appreciated.

System-
HD5470 ATI
Intel Core i3
HP Probook 4320s (sucky laptop for Linux thanks to the craptacular Wifi module and buggy clickpad)

As a sidenote, which would be better for 3D support, using an intel driver with the i3, or using the open source radeon driver? (I know neither compare to proprietary support, but FGLRX is an abomination)

#2 2012-05-03 13:54:22

walterjwhite

Re: Xorg issue (Keyboard and mouse not recognized)

Hi ,

I am having the same issue as your reported, but I am on different hardware, so I suspect it is an issue with something else.  I think these posts are similar so watch them:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=139193
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=140572

The system I am having an issue with was built via a derivative of ArchISO scripts and installed onto a machine.  I don't believe that alone is the issue, but initially I did think it was something wrong with my scripts / configuration.  I merged my /etc of a working system with the one in question and it still does not work.

I looked very briefly at the Xorg logs and noticed that it wants to autodetect input devices, perhaps that could be an issue.  The other oddity I noticed is that I still cannot use slim / xfce.  Initially I built the system to primarily use that window manager to save resources, but even after unplugging devices and logging in, I would get booted back out.

I will look into Xorg to see if there were any changes with auto-detection as well as udev.  Perhaps one of those things is causing an issue.

Walter

#3 2012-05-17 02:57:03

walterjwhite

Re: Xorg issue (Keyboard and mouse not recognized)

Hi,

It appears that systemd loads things differently than the previous init system I was using, when I don't use systemd, my mouse/keyboard does not work unless I unplug it and plug it back in.

Walter

Board footer