You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-16 11:29:16

b9anders

Huawei E220 often disconnects / then isn't recognised

I have a Huawei E220 usb dongle that I use for web access via networkmanager. Getting it to work from a fresh boot is simple enough - it's just plug and play.

My first problem is that after a while, it will simply disconnect for no apparent reason. I have no idea how or why. Sometimes, I just need to re-connect from the networkmanager applet and sometimes it leads me to my second problem:

Once the connection is dropped, networkmanager no longer recognises the dongle. Some of the time, taking it out and then inserting it into another USB slot (I seem to have better luck with the one on the right side of my thinkpad) will make networkmanager recognise it again. But sometimes, nothing short of a reboot will do the trick. The latter is particularly annoying to have to do.

Does anyone know of this problem and a solution? Or have an idea of how to troubleshoot it?

#2 2012-05-17 20:50:08

Strike0

Re: Huawei E220 often disconnects / then isn't recognised

You have usb_modeswitch and modemmanager installed?
When it happens try what happens if you "rmmod usb_storage" before re-plugging the dongle.

#3 2012-05-18 13:32:08

b9anders

Strike0 wrote:

You have usb_modeswitch and modemmanager installed?

Yes.

When it happens try what happens if you "rmmod usb_storage" before re-plugging the dongle.

I'll give it a shot. Currently in a 'lose connection, but still recognise the connection afterwards in NM' phase.

#4 2012-05-18 14:49:29

b9anders

Just tried

$ rmmod usb_storage
libkmod: kmod_module_remove_module: could not remove 'usb_storage': Operation not permitted
Error: could not remove module usb_storage: Operation not permitted
$ su
Password:
# rmmod usb_storage
#

Nothing happens really. Just to be safe, after pulling it out:

# rmmod usb_storage
Error: Module usb_storage is not currently loaded

Don't know if it is relevant, but after a few rounds of this, Thunar sometimes starts recognising it as cd-rom too, concurrently with it working as a modem in NM.

#5 2012-05-18 16:25:57

Strike0

b9anders wrote:

Don't know if it is relevant, but after a few rounds of this, Thunar sometimes starts recognising it as cd-rom too, concurrently with it working as a modem in NM.

It is not ideal, but is it meaning you don't have to reboot anymore? Thats what you wanted primarily, or?

As for the disconnects, maybe check that powermanagement for the usb-dongle is off.

#6 2012-05-18 16:56:33

b9anders

Strike0 wrote:
b9anders wrote:

It is not ideal, but is it meaning you don't have to reboot anymore? Thats what you wanted primarily, or?

As for the disconnects, maybe check that powermanagement for the usb-dongle is off.

Today, it's been so far so good on the reboots, which is most important.

How would I go check on the powermanagement for that? I use the tlp scripts for my thinkpad btw.,

Board footer