You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-22 17:13:08

theking2
Banned

netcfg

Ok so network configurtion should be moved out of rc.conf and into netcfg. The wiki page no netcfg is out of date.

I'm not sure if this is related but I get the message "start nfs-common first" during a boot.

How do I configure netcfg, what should remain in rc.conf. Currently I have no access to my machine (it doesn't boot anymore) so I cannot give more details.

archlinux on a Gigabyte C1037UN-EU, 16GiB
a Promise  PDC40718 based ZFS set
root on a Samsung SSD PB22-J
running LogitechMediaServer(-git), Samba, MiniDLNA, TOR

#2 2012-05-22 18:15:49

alphaniner

Re: netcfg

I think your boot problems may be caused by something else.  I still have network config in rc.conf and my machine boots without issue.

Also, I don't get the nfs message, but my DAEMONS array has contained (... nfs-common netfs @nfs-server ...) for a long time.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2012-05-22 18:24:07

tomk
Forum Fellow

Congratulations, you read the news - now all you need to do is understand it. smile

Yes, the wiki page is out of date, and as with all wikis, the responsibility for updating it lies with the users i.e. you and others like you. In the meantime, /etc/conf.d/netcfg has appropriate comments to assist you. It is clearly stated in the news item that no netcfg settings remain in /etc/rc.conf.

Fragments of messages are of no use to anyone who might want to help you. Post the complete output before and after your nfs-common message, along with your /etc/rc.conf.

Finally, please change your thread title to summarise your issues - "netcfg" is too vague.

#4 2012-05-22 19:51:45

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

When in doubt hit the man pages. This might help you

man rc.conf

which will tell you what should remain in rc.conf. If you read it, it also mentions which files to see for netcfg related configuration (which in this case has already been mentioned by tomk)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2012-05-22 20:59:06

theking2
Banned

Thanks all.
And yes my problem is somewhere else

After removing virtually everything fromt he daemons line in rc.conf my arch is stuck just after the last daemon started.

It starts no prompt on the machine. I continue in another thread

#6 2012-05-22 21:08:04

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

theking2 wrote:

After removing virtually everything fromt he daemons line in rc.conf my arch is stuck just after the last daemon started.

It starts no prompt on the machine. I continue in another thread

Don't be randomly adding/removing daemons in there. Make sure you know what you are doing.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2012-05-22 21:19:15

theking2
Banned

so I understand network configuration should not necessarely be movedout of rc.conf to netcfg. ? And I can savely ignore the latest news on 2.8.2?
I'm confused

Last edited by theking2 (2012-05-22 21:19:49)

#8 2012-05-22 21:35:00

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

you are confusing daemons (which can include many other daemons other than network daemons) with networking itself. And no you should never ignore news items on the archlinux page.

Forum Rules

#9 2012-05-22 21:42:58

alphaniner

No, network config should be moved.  I've moved it on my machine since I posted earlier.

You need to fix your DAEMONS array and then post some more details about what's going wrong.  Like others have said, your rc.conf would be a good start.  And since you're having problems during boot, your /var/log/boot may have some helpful info.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#10 2012-05-22 21:53:29

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

alphaniner wrote:

And since you're having problems during boot, your /var/log/boot may have some helpful info.

The op has already created a new thread for this issue. So I am going to close this one since it seems that the original issue had nothing to do with netcfg anyway.

Forum Rules

Board footer