You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-29 18:48:09

darnir

using makepkg to recursively download and compile dependencies.

I am trying to use the ABS in an attempt to learn more about the Linux OS.
Whenever I try to install an application via ABS, the -s switch causes makepkg to download and install all the dependencies from the official repo's via pacman.
However, I would like for makepkg to download their PKGBUILDS and and compile them on my system itself.
Reading through the man pages did not help me, and neither did a few internet searches.  I did come across a post that said that the -b switch could be used to do the above task, though I could neither find it in the documentation nor have any luck in executing it.

Any ideas on how this can be accomplished?

#2 2012-05-29 18:53:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: using makepkg to recursively download and compile dependencies.

I don't think you can do that, because a PKGBUILD normally consists only the source url for the package you are building, not its dependencies. So makepkg wouldn't know where to find the source of the dependencies. If the dependency packages are in AUR, then it will compile them on your system (provided you are using a pacman helper which can communicate with AUR) because AUR doesn't hold binaries. If they are in the official repo, it will simply download and install the pre-compiled binary.

You will have to manually look at the dependencies and install them all before you install a package in order to accomplish what you want.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2012-05-29 18:54:50

darnir

Re: using makepkg to recursively download and compile dependencies.

Can't I get makepkg to pull the required PKGBUILD from /var/abs if possible?

Board footer