You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-25 00:34:19

bmentink

[SOLVED] 3G Connection drops every 24 hrs in Network Manager

Hi All,

I have a 3G T-Stick modem that I use as my permanent internet connection (no choice, in an isolated location).
I manage the connection with network manager ..

It all is good for 24hrs, but then the internet stops working (i.e no pings etc) but Network Manager still shows it connected fine, signal is fine etc .. no change.
It seems that the DHCP lease is only 24 hrs or some other timeout is happening ..

Is this a fault with Network Manager, my T-stick or a Network issue?

Any Ideas's anyone ..

PS: I could run a script to re-start the network every 23 hrs, but that seems a kludge .. I would rather fix the issue.

Last edited by bmentink (2012-06-01 23:32:57)

#2 2012-05-25 02:36:04

NotMine

Re: [SOLVED] 3G Connection drops every 24 hrs in Network Manager

It could be something that your wireless carrier does. You might ask your carrier about this. See what they say. it might help to be "insistent" in your questioning.

Here in the USA I know of at least 1 wireless carrier that recycles dynamically assigned IP addresses on a 24 hour timer basis. The rationale that I heard was to specifically prevent users from keeping connections up "permanently".

Another idea might be this: Some wireless carrier technologies have various operating conditions. Perhaps your carrier uses a technology that scales back device/modem operation to an "almost asleep" mode where it responds to "paging" requests from the carrier system when there is otherwise no traffic being generated by your device/modem. In this case it could the technology causes your device/modem to "release" the IP address while in "paging" mode. That concept sounds "strnage" to me as I have not seen that behavior; the IP address is retained even while in "paging only" mode. I am framiliar with CDMA & EVDO wireless technologies.

#3 2012-05-25 03:58:13

bmentink

NotMine wrote:

It could be something that your wireless carrier does. You might ask your carrier about this. See what they say. it might help to be "insistent" in your questioning.

Here in the USA I know of at least 1 wireless carrier that recycles dynamically assigned IP addresses on a 24 hour timer basis. The rationale that I heard was to specifically prevent users from keeping connections up "permanently".

Another idea might be this: Some wireless carrier technologies have various operating conditions. Perhaps your carrier uses a technology that scales back device/modem operation to an "almost asleep" mode where it responds to "paging" requests from the carrier system when there is otherwise no traffic being generated by your device/modem. In this case it could the technology causes your device/modem to "release" the IP address while in "paging" mode. That concept sounds "strnage" to me as I have not seen that behavior; the IP address is retained even while in "paging only" mode. I am framiliar with CDMA & EVDO wireless technologies.

Hi There,

Yep, I had already talked to the carrier ... they have said the network "should" stay up 24/7, but I am not sure I believe them, I will be more insistent with their technical team .. 

Thanks,
Bernie.

#4 2012-05-26 07:59:04

bmentink

You won't believe the carriers latest excuse:

"The T-stick isn't designed for continuous operation, it will turn itself off to protect from heat"!!

Yea, right!! It turns itself off exactly every 24hrs ... gee, they must think us folks so gullible ..

#5 2012-05-26 16:14:07

Strike0

Funny excuse yes. Maybe they mean their own infrastructure being protected from customers wink
But: You have setup your connection with that script of your earlier thread, have you not?

At the bottom of that link there is a second version of the script that does an autoconnect if the connection drops. Does that not work when it goes to "heat protection mode"? I would imagine you can adapt that to re-load/initialise the T-stick driver and connection in that occurence.

#6 2012-05-27 01:44:25

bmentink

Strike0 wrote:

Funny excuse yes. Maybe they mean their own infrastructure being protected from customers wink
But: You have setup your connection with that script of your earlier thread, have you not?

At the bottom of that link there is a second version of the script that does an autoconnect if the connection drops. Does that not work when it goes to "heat protection mode"? I would imagine you can adapt that to re-load/initialise the T-stick driver and connection in that occurence.

Hi, I didn't see the other script about auto-connect on lost connection ... and I can't get onto that site for some reason at the moment. You don't have a copy of the script by chance?
Actually I am not sure if it will help ... I don't loose the "connection" just the DHCP lease by the look of it ... well unless Network Manager is lying ..

Cheers,
B

Last edited by bmentink (2012-05-27 04:29:20)

#7 2012-05-27 07:17:06

Strike0

Ah I did not read that DHCP timeout like that in your first post. It won't help you then, no. I don''t want to paste it here without the instructions the authors did, so here's the link again. 
Yet networkmanager should handle re-connecting dhcp leases by itself I would have thought. Don't have it installed here now to look. You might check the logs if it did try to obtain another lease, maybe the ISP does not allow that right away. In that case it may be easier to disconnect before the lease expires.

#8 2012-06-01 23:32:37

bmentink

Solved this my running a re-start script on the 3G interface at midnight ... seems to do the trick ..

The only problem I have is now with my Voip service over the 3G, I get time outs on dial outs, yet I can receive calls ok.
Checked all the SIP ports are open on my router .... but I suspect that my carrier is maybe blocking some/all of the ports.
Gtalk works though ... isn't that SIP? maybe it uses different ports ..

Anyway getting off topic .. maybe need to start another thread. Marking this thread solved

Last edited by bmentink (2012-06-01 23:34:04)

Board footer