You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-14 14:34:57

neok
Website

pacman hangs up at 99% download

Hi,

I have been trying ArchLinux, all seems mostly fine but for one annoying problem with pacman: When downloading large files (abt. 2Mb +) it always stops at 99% complete and seems to freeze. If I stop it with Ctrl-C and restart, it completes the installation OK.

I have upgraded pacman to the latest available but the problem persists. Any ideas please? This is humpering installation and upgrading since I have to attend the process to complete it and for a -Syu its just far too much a waist of time.

My thanks in advance!

Regards

Neoklis ... Ham Radio Call: 5B4AZ

#2 2003-12-16 10:38:48

Bobonov

Re: pacman hangs up at 99% download

Can we have more information about your connection?
(ADSL, network card, modem..)
Are you behind a nat or a proxy or it is a direct connection?

#3 2003-12-16 11:26:29

neok
Website

Bobonov wrote:

Can we have more information about your connection?
(ADSL, network card, modem..)
Are you behind a nat or a proxy or it is a direct connection?

I have an adsl connection, set up by dhcp (simply dhcpcd eth0 connects me with my ISP). The network card is a de4x5 type and there is no proxy or firewall involved.

I have been a Gentoo user for sometime but I don't have this problem with their ftp installer (emerge). It seems to me that the download is actually completed since restarting pacman results in the package being installed with no further connection to the ftp server. Perhaps something goes wrong with disconnection after the download is complete?

Thanks for the reply!

Regards

#4 2003-12-16 14:31:02

marc

I have this problem too. So far I've got around it with ctrl-c, but it's a pain in the ass. I'd be happy if someone has a fix

I'm on a cable modem with a Intel Ethernet Express 100 card. No proxy, no firewall

#5 2003-12-16 14:44:21

Nickm

just ran pacman -syu, glibc (14M) downloaded and installed normal

#6 2003-12-16 15:28:27

Bobonov

Next time you run pacman try to add the option -v (verbose)
This should give you more messages and maybe some hint on the problem.
I am not sure if it give you information during the download.

#7 2003-12-17 19:45:19

neok
Website

Bobonov wrote:

Next time you run pacman try to add the option -v (verbose)
This should give you more messages and maybe some hint on the problem.
I am not sure if it give you information during the download.

My thanks to everyone for their input, I have now reformatted the HD since I will later do a fresh install (I experimented a lot with the original so am not sure I have not broken anything). Hope pacman works better then, I like AL since it resembles Gentoo except its binary based. Feels also at least as fast, but without the compilation overheads!

Regards

#8 2003-12-18 04:29:54

contrasutra

I've had this problem for 6 months. I've talked to apeiro about it, and I don't think he knows where the problem is steming from.

Really does suck for unattended downloads. On dialup, you do that a lot.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#9 2004-05-18 18:17:31

ChrisX

I have experienced the same exact problem.  I have only noticed the problem with large files also.  I first saw the problem when I was downloading KDE-libs.  It gets to 99% then just sits there.  From what I have read it sounds like it isn't hardware dependent or internet connection dependent.  It sounds like the problem is in the software itself.  My internet connection is from a dsl router connected to a dsl connection.

#10 2004-07-13 14:44:35

rubber-ducko

I have experienced the same, some few times. Can't say it just happends when downloading a big file, but also with small ones... but it ain't very annoying actually...

sum sum

#11 2004-07-13 15:18:12

sarah31
Website

haven't had this for months and then it was only once or twice on XFree86 packages. At that time i think i switched servers and it worked.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#12 2004-07-13 18:59:03

cjdj

I have this problem also, but I know that it is my router that is causing it.  Since the same thing happens under windows and on all my computers.  It has been a documented flaw in my particular router.  Since you say you have a direct adsl connection, your probably going thru a router that is doing the same thing as mine.

When downloading files over FTP, there are actually 2 socket connection, the first one is the control session and it is where you login, select the file, etc.   When a download begins, a new data session is started, and the control session is kind of ignored until the data session finishes.  If a download takes longer than 5 minutes, my router closes the control session because it has been idle for too long.   When the data session finishes, and the control session had been cancelled, pacman (and other ftp client apps) dont know what to do.

The solution
Use wget with pacman instead of the normal pacman download, and use the -T and -t options to set a timeout and a retry setting.

To use wget, edit your /etc/pacman.conf file and replace your current XferCommand line with the one below.

XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget -t 3 -T 30 -c -O %o %u

That does it for me.  Although it does still get stuck on downloads that take longer than 5 mintes, it automatically restarts itself after 30 seconds and is able to continue on.  The biggest problem I have with this is that wget is so much more uglier to look at that the vanila pacman download.

#13 2004-07-14 09:12:28

Mindaugas

I had the same situation few times, when I download Ooo .
net module 8139too

#14 2004-08-10 22:39:07

Michel

I had this problem also once .. when installing OpenOffice.

I have a speedtouch-usb-modem.

Liek mentionned above: stops at 99%. I kill it. When I execute the command again, it seems already completely downloaded since it begins to install it.

I cannot give the pacman-version ... I'm reporting it because I saw this thread and pacman has been updated a few times lately? but I only have archlinux for 2 weeks or so.

Board footer