You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-05 19:42:53

jackalpret

comparison with another distros, could you help me ?

Hi all !

I'm from Argentina, I'm using in my home laptop(core i3, 4gb ram) ubuntu 12.04 with unity (I hate it), and in my computer laptop(core i5, 4gb ram) Fedora 16 with gnome shell.

I'm php developer, I use netbeans (java), chromium (with 10 or more tabs and extensions), skype, pidgin, console, etc.

So , with Ubuntu I have continuous freezing (sometimes, excesive ram usage), for example copying files, working on netbeans, etc, with ubuntu 11.10 was the same ... in my work laptop with ubuntu 11.10 I had the same problem, but when I installed Fedora all the problems go out ... and I'm very happy with Fedora.

The problem with Fedora is updates ... no rolling release updates, so, I need to download and install new version.

Can you tellme your experience with another distros in comparison with Arch ?

can Arch will be my salvation ?

Onetime, 3 month ago, I tried install arch, but when I went to test X doesn't work, and I needed my computer to work and I decided not to continue trying , but....... 1 week ago I test live cd of archbang and boots ok ...

Last edited by jackalpret (2012-06-05 19:43:56)

#2 2012-06-05 19:48:05

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: comparison with another distros, could you help me ?

jackalpret wrote:

and I'm very happy with Fedora.

The problem with Fedora is updates ... no rolling release updates,

This is contradictory. If you are happy with Fedora, stick with it !!

jackalpret wrote:

Can you tellme your experience with another distros in comparison with Arch ?

The wiki has the comparisons with other distros. Please search the wiki to get your answers.

jackalpret wrote:

can Arch will be my salvation ?

No.

jackalpret wrote:

Onetime, 3 month ago, I tried install arch, but when I went to test X doesn't work, and I needed my computer to work and I decided not to continue trying

If you gave up Arch once, you will probably do it again which is why, I say again, stick with Fedora.

jackalpret wrote:

but....... 1 week ago I test live cd of archbang and boots ok ...

Also, Archbang is not Arch. So if you want to use Archbang, then you will have to ask on their forums if there are any issues.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2012-06-05 19:52:44

jackalpret

hi, tnx for your answer, I'm happy with the stability, but I want rolling release for updates

Oh perfect, I though archbang is live cd of archbang but with X environment pre configured.

#4 2012-06-05 19:56:00

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

jackalpret wrote:

I'm happy with the stability, but I want rolling release for updates

LOL. Again this is contradictory. With rolling release, you should expect breakage and you will find breakage at some point if and when you do use Arch. You should be ready to get your hands dirty if that happens.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2012-06-05 19:59:32

jackalpret

I'm backend web developer, I have dirty hands wink

#6 2012-06-05 20:09:10

Terminator

Use google, there are many good arch linux reviews online. Also, if you decide to install arch linux again, use the beginners guide.

#7 2012-06-05 20:29:15

Psykorgasm

Run Arch in a vm for a few weeks and use it as if it was your main operating system, you'll get used to how things work and all that fun stuff.
Although, as Inxsible keeps saying, if you are happy with Fedora you should probably go ahead and stick with it.

If you want Fedora with rolling release stable updates, give OpenSUSE Tumbleweed a try - although very similar they are different and I find, as much as I recommend it to many people, that the OpenSUSE repos lack some software, but if you use a popular DE and not a tilling wm you will no doubt be fine for all your software needs. smile

Also, when I managed a couple of Fedora machines, I never had issues with doing distribution upgrades (eg going from F13->F14-F15) so you may want to look in to doing that, rather then wipe and re-install every 6 months.

#8 2012-06-05 20:44:42

brebs

Fedora-based Fuduntu reckons it's rolling-release.

#9 2012-06-05 23:16:57

jackalpret

thanks a lot for your answers

#10 2012-06-06 00:31:23

Zancarius

Psykorgasm wrote:

Run Arch in a vm for a few weeks and use it as if it was your main operating system, you'll get used to how things work and all that fun stuff.

This is excellent advice. I did this even though I came to Arch from Gentoo, and Gentoo is another rolling release distro! Never underestimate the power of something like Virtualbox when switching distros. You can familiarize yourself with the installation process, configuring everything as you want it, and dealing with breakage (yes, it will happen sooner or later) without sacrificing your primary OS. Only switch when you're comfortable.

He who has no .plan has small finger.
~Confucius on UNIX.

#11 2012-06-06 00:50:41

ralvez
Website

I'm a software developer too and I have been running Arch for years now ... no problems.
The important thing is to make sure you check the news page to find potential issues. In all the years I have used Arch
I have had but a couple of issues ... because I did miss to follow my own advise and look for issues.

I think once a kernel upgrade caused me unexpected grief (even after reading the news and all) with my main development machine and I had to downgrade.

I find Arch stable but like Inxible says ... is a "rolling release", so be ready wink

R.

#12 2012-06-06 01:44:01

evilgnome

This isn't an answer to your question, but you might want to check out Linux Mint Debian Edition, Bridge Linux, and KahelOS. I haven't tried any of them, but non-arch friends get along well with Linux Mint (regular edition).

#13 2012-06-06 03:31:48

jackalpret

thanks zancarius, ralvez and evlignome

I try linux mint and I don't like it wink

bridge and kahel don't, I will check

I though rolling release is tested, maybe not equal than stable versions , but tested haha

#14 2012-06-06 03:51:07

Berveris

I believe the best option is to run arch on a VM until you get used to.
Im also a new user that came from using ubuntu and fedora, and arch is not that hard, all you have to do is know how to use the forum, so far all my problems were already solved.
But if you decide for arch, install it over the weekend!!
(rolling releases are tested, arch actualy has a ropesitory called testing)

#15 2012-06-06 04:28:51

Allan
Developer
Website

evilgnome wrote:

This isn't an answer to your question, but you might want to check out Linux Mint Debian Edition, Bridge Linux, and KahelOS

KahelOS is not the answer to any question....

#16 2012-06-06 06:02:31

pan

jackalpret wrote:

Onetime, 3 month ago, I tried install arch, but when I went to test X doesn't work, and I needed my computer to work and I decided not to continue trying , but....... 1 week ago I test live cd of archbang and boots ok ...

Well, first time I made a mistake when I tried to install Arch in virtualbox and used xf86-video-ati drivers instead of xf86-video-vesa for VB. It's all in the wiki, but I haven't read it carefully. When I tried to install Arch for the second time, I erased disk on my computer and said to myself: I am not moving away from the computer until this thing works - and it did.

In all my time as a Linux user I tested quite a few distros, but I never had such great experience as now with Arch. Even after few years my suspend started to work - which really never did on linux for me.

#17 2012-06-06 11:40:00

Iranon

Imo, Arch is a substandard base for a derivative shooting for a good out-of-the-box experience. Arch gives up quite a few convenience features to be simple, transparent and hackable. Not building your personalised system from scratch seems a waste of potential.
Derivatives are nice as a previews and toys to be broken for fun and education.

Aptosid and Siduction aren't bad for rolling release systems that work out of the box, but Debian isn't Arch (more automation, deeper official repositories... but more complex infrastructure if you want to do your own stuff, less transparent, documentation imo not up to the same standards).

#18 2012-06-06 18:15:07

Zancarius

Iranon wrote:

Not building your personalised system from scratch seems a waste of potential.

This is a very good point.

Arch and similar distributions (like Gentoo) aren't for the faint of heart; you will learn an awful lot about how a GNU/Linux system is put together such as how different parts of the system interact with each other, how the system boots, and even a few things you aren't quite expecting to learn. There really are only two "problems" if the user decides to go with this approach: 1) Initial time investment will be significant and 2) it makes it very difficult to go back to other distributions because it always feels like they're missing something.

Just remember: With great power comes great responsibility.

He who has no .plan has small finger.
~Confucius on UNIX.

#19 2012-06-06 19:07:04

triton60

November 2011 I decided to try to see if I could run Linux as my main OS, I had used it on and off in one form or another since 94 but had never stuck with it due to work related issues.

I had a look around and decided to try Fedora 16, then a month later switched to Ubuntu 11.10, didn't mind Unitity or Gnome 3 so much but I managed to break Ubuntu and ended up re-installing. Fast forward to April and I decided I wanted to try a rolling release and ended up installing Arch into a VM, tried a couple of different things before I took the plunge to install it as my main OS.

Best thing I ever did, tried Kde, then went to Xfce with some Gnome apps.

What I am saying is that all the other distro's I have tried seem simple to use from the outside but a lot is hidden, configured and installed (against my choice) by default. With Arch you install only what you want and in comparison it is simple to configure. I still have lots to learn but I do feel confident I will be able to resolve any issues I may face, the Wiki is first class and the forums a great place to find answers.

One trick I have used is to have an Arch VM which I use to test install/update any packages I am unsure will break my system before installing it on my main PC.

I also installed Arch on my netbook over the weekend, it is the only distro I have managed to get the wifi working with thanks to the forum and wiki and it runs so much faster than the  previous flavour of Ubuntu I had previously installed.

Andrew.

Last edited by triton60 (2012-06-07 03:31:55)

#20 2012-06-06 19:13:36

Awebb

In my personal experience, if a certain freeze while copying or extracting files is a problem for you, then Arch will not be your solution. There are tweaks and fixes for this problem, they should work on most distributions. Arch, however, has one advantage: Since you build your desktop from the scratch, you do not have to change a working system. Instead you can apply the fixes without breaking other fixes already made.

EDIT: A google search for "linux freeze while cp" gives you a first hit on the arch bbs: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=877748

I really need a vacation by the the way. I'm now fighting against the picture in my head, featuring the police entering the room of a user enjoying illegal material. A sure sign of being overworked.

Last edited by Awebb (2012-06-06 19:16:55)

#21 2012-06-07 00:09:35

ANOKNUSA

@ OP: Do it or don't.  It's up to you.

Board footer