You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-06 15:11:23

mloskot
Website

Keep sticky and rolling threads clean

Folks,

I have a proposal to keep the sticky or continuously rolling threads clean
and avoid adding non-constructive posts to it.

There is number of threads dedicated to share desktop configurations and screenshots, etc.
For example the Share your Openbox Desktop thread..
canistra, who started the thread explicitly suggested What should you post.
I have tried to monitor it for a while, to filter actual visual content and attached config files, but it has become a real pain in arse!

I sent a small appeal to posters in that thread asking for consideration, to stick to the "what should you post" request.
But, I imagine this thread is not a lonely example and similar appeal would be relevant in threads dedicated to sharing other screens/configs.

Perhaps it should become a rule in the forum and only posts with relevant content are accepted to such threads.
All posts without relevant content (e.g. lack of dot files) or non-constructive posts like "could you share your config" follow-ups would immediately go to trash.

In case I'm the only annoyed, forget this.

Mateusz Loskot | github | archlinux-config
Arch (x86-64) | ThinkPad T400  | Intel P8600| Intel i915
Arch (x86-64) | ThinkPad W700 | Intel T9600 | NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M

#2 2012-06-06 15:18:08

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Keep sticky and rolling threads clean

mloskot wrote:

Perhaps it should become a rule in the forum and only posts with relevant content are accepted to such threads.
All posts without relevant content (e.g. lack of dot files) or non-constructive posts like "could you share your config" follow-ups would immediately go to trash

You will have to take this up with the FluxBB devs. We do not and will not modify the forum software in any way.

IMO, the fluxBB devs would have a hard time figuring out which type of content to allow in what threads since there is no set definition of what types of threads are possible.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2012-06-06 15:21:12

mloskot
Website

Inxsible wrote:

IMO, the fluxBB devs would have a hard time figuring out which type of content to allow in what threads since there is no set definition of what types of threads are possible.

Yes, you are right. Generally, this kind of moderation, automatic or human-supported, would be not ideal and may be painful.

Perhaps a note in the forums header note/rules would help folks to be more disciplined.

Anyhow, at least this thread may highlight the issue and do the job itself.

#4 2012-06-06 15:23:25

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

mloskot wrote:

I doubt it big_smile

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2012-06-06 15:26:27

drcouzelis
Website

It's kind of annoying, but as was mentioned it would be incredibly difficult to implement individual message filtering or moderating.

mloskot wrote:

I sent a small appeal to posters in that thread asking for consideration, to stick to the "what should you post" request.

I chuckled and cringed at the posts directly following yours that ignore canistra's request. tongue

Anyway, I think the Arch Linux forum is one of the "cleanest" forums on the web, so it's not really a big deal. smile

Last edited by drcouzelis (2012-06-06 15:26:46)

#6 2012-06-06 16:24:38

mloskot
Website

Inxsible wrote:
mloskot wrote:

I doubt it big_smile

Indeed, it may be that I'm getting old and sentimental after the 'old school' Usenet & mailing lists etiquette big_smile

drcouzelis wrote:
mloskot wrote:

I chuckled and cringed at the posts directly following yours that ignore canistra's request. tongue

Yeah, I sense some influences by the The Complete Guide to Not Giving a F**k, especially

FACT NUMBER 4. Those who don’t give a f**k change the world. The rest do not.

I give up then and let them be innovative tongue

drcouzelis wrote:

Anyway, I think the Arch Linux forum is one of the "cleanest" forums on the web, so it's not really a big deal. smile

Sure thing.

#7 2012-06-07 06:01:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

mloskot wrote:

Perhaps a note in the forums header note/rules would help folks to be more disciplined.

*snickers* yep, that would certainly help.

Such threads, in my opinion, are meant to 'roll', and questions on 'what's the name of that theme' are part of the discussion (I've found the answers helpful in getting my conky up and running for example).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2012-06-07 09:18:47

mloskot
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Such threads, in my opinion, are meant to 'roll', and questions on 'what's the name of that theme' are part of the discussion (I've found the answers helpful in getting my conky up and running for example).

OK, point taken.

Board footer