You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-05 21:17:49

chris_l

IDEA: How about if this section was on a *booru, instead of a forum?

I was looking for certain wallpaper I saw sometime ago here. I just remembered it had a gray background and the arch logo and nothing else.
I still haven't found it XD
Anyway,  I realized a forum is not the best place for an artwork section to be.

There are engines designed for images collections that are more suitable. Now, some of you may like anime/manga and if thats the case, chances are that you already know the boorus websites.

For those of you who don't, a booru is an imageboard organized on tags and collections (collections are called pools). (I mentioned anime, because there are a lot of anime booru boards around)
So, if archlinux had such thing, we could search for tags like: "wallpaper arch_logo dark tux" and immediately get all the dark wallpapers that contain the arch logo and tux.

well, googled for boorus engines, that work on LAMP servers, and I found one called my-imouto:
http://code.google.com/p/my-imouto-booru/

and here is a demo of the booru on action: http://myimouto.pop-works.info/post
just imagine the website with archlinux.org colors, and with archlinux wallpapers instead wink

It even has a REST API! so, it would be possible to use scripts on crontab to auto download the latest artwork with certain tags or something.

I installed it on my home server, and it works great.
So that is my idea for the artwork section. So, admins, users, what you guys think?

Last edited by chris_l (2012-06-05 21:19:20)

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#2 2012-06-06 02:31:31

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: IDEA: How about if this section was on a *booru, instead of a forum?

Nothing stopping you from setting one up yourself.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2012-06-06 05:00:06

chris_l

well of course I could do that, but is not the same. I mean it as an official section of archlinux.org

Yes, I'm aware artwork and screenshots in the end are not as important as aur, the wiki, etc. Artwork and screenshots maybe are considered by some people as frills. But, is very common when people enter to a software related website, they look for a "screenshots" link.

And yes, that makes a little bit less sense here, since on archlinux, there is not a "factory look" or a "default theme". But that does not change the utility of screenshots. Having some screenshots with gnome, others with kde, openbox + tint2 or someapps splitted with ratpoison, etc show the high degree of costumization we have here.
So I'm saying archlinux.org need this? nah, "need" is a word I wont use here.
Is just that, since we do already have a "artwork and screenshots" section, well, I thought it would be nice if it was implemented using a dedicated image engine, instead of a forum.

Bug tracking could be done on the forum, but is better handled by flyspray. (again, I know bug tracking is way more important than artwork, But, I don't think that means artwork lacks value, and I dont think using an small engine like myimouto is overkill)

If I create my own archlinux fanart site, chances are some people are gonna see it, and post there, but others are going to post here.
So in the end I would only have accomplished to make it harder to find images; some of them would be here, others there.

No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#4 2012-06-06 05:28:30

/dev/zero

I'm kind of indifferent; if it were done, I wouldn't complain. Still, when I see this,

chris_l wrote:

Having some screenshots with gnome, others with kde, openbox + tint2 or someapps splitted with ratpoison, etc show the high degree of costumization we have here.

... I'm inclined to question: so what? So what if we show Arch has a high degree of customisation?

We're not trying to sell a product, and Arch should hopefully appeal to people who've already played with multiple Linux set-ups and don't need yet more screenshots to be convinced that Arch is nice.

#5 2012-06-06 13:57:59

liquibyte
Website

Zenwalk had a feature like this and I ended up getting inspired to create some artwork of my own because of it. I'd say it's a good idea but you'll have a hard time convincing and getting implementation. My suggestion would be to code it and do a proof of concept and submit it to the powers that be and see where it goes from there. Even if it doesn't get implemented, I'm sure you will have learned something important along the way.

My best artwork to date: http://www.zenwalk.org/uploads/photos/163.png

Done in inkscape and taught me how to actually use that program.

#6 2012-06-06 14:52:00

chris_l

/dev/zero wrote:

... I'm inclined to question: so what? So what if we show Arch has a high degree of customisation?

We're not trying to sell a product, and Arch should hopefully appeal to people who've already played with multiple Linux set-ups and don't need yet more screenshots to be convinced that Arch is nice.

heh true words. Yeah, arch does not need "promotion" or screenshots in the end. But people still like them.
From the ratpoison website:

I don't know what it is about Window Managers, but people complain if they don't get a screenshot. I've told them again and again that ratpoison doesn't have anything to take a screenshot of, but still they insist.
So if you absolutely MUST have a screenshot, here you go

ratpoison is designed to appeal the gnu screen users, but even this people still need screenshots! I don't know why, maybe is the human nature.

liquibyte wrote:

My suggestion would be to code it and do a proof of concept and submit it to the powers that be and see where it goes from there.

Code it? but is already coded. My suggestion was to implement an existing, free-software, imageboard engine. What I could do is to install it on a server of mine, change the css to make it look with the archlinux.org colors, convince some people to upload their stuff there, and then talk again here to convince people to adopt it in a official way.

liquibyte wrote:

Nice pic! big_smile

No.

#7 2012-06-06 14:54:19

Wittfella

This one?

#8 2012-06-06 15:15:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Correct me if I am wrong because I have no idea how danbooru is implemented/hosted. But if we have our own implementation of the image engine, we would have to host all those images somewhere. That tends to take up space very quickly. Maintaining it would be an additional hassle. Making sure the right kind of images are uploaded by users etc etc. Right now we just link it to an image hosting site. That's the reason we do allow only thumbnails.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#9 2012-06-06 16:03:57

chris_l

ok, my-imouto-booru works like this:
you upload an image, then the script creates a thumbnail, saves the thumbnail in one directory, then it creates a "sample" image (is the same image, but with lower resolution, like 1000px width max or something) and saves it as an high compressed jpg, and then, the full image (that is, the uploaded image with no changes) is saved on other directory. Then it creates an entry on a mysql database, with the md5sum and their tags and the location of the sample, thumbnail and full image.

hmmm.... I guess it could be modified to accept external urls to images. I think it could only create the thumbnails and the samples, and don't save the full images, but instead, require the uploader to include an external imageshack url or whatever link to the full image.

The website can work only with thumbnails and samples. Samples could be only 800px width or something, to save bandwidth.

Maintaining it would be an additional hassle. Making sure the right kind of images are uploaded by users

true... but isn't that done anyway? some person checks the artwork and screenshots section.

Right now, I just don't have the time for coding such change myself, but maybe on the future I could do it if you guys don't want to.

No.

#10 2012-06-06 16:33:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

chris_I wrote:

true... but isn't that done anyway? some person checks the artwork and screenshots section.

Every user checks that right now. That's why there is a Report button, if certain images are NSFW or hurting any other sensibilities. Once reported, the moderators swoop down from the skies and hack the image to death.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#11 2012-06-06 23:08:51

/dev/zero

chris_l wrote:
/dev/zero wrote:

heh true words. Yeah, arch does not need "promotion" or screenshots in the end. But people still like them.
From the ratpoison website:

I don't know what it is about Window Managers, but people complain if they don't get a screenshot. I've told them again and again that ratpoison doesn't have anything to take a screenshot of, but still they insist.
So if you absolutely MUST have a screenshot, here you go

ratpoison is designed to appeal the gnu screen users, but even this people still need screenshots! I don't know why, maybe is the human nature.

I know I didn't make this explicit, but what I had in mind was that screen shots of Arch Linux actually don't exist - it's always a screenshot of some graphical program on the screen, say a Gnome or KDE desktop, or a window manager. A Gnome or KDE desktop always looks pretty much the same, no matter what distro you run it on. People coming to Arch shouldn't need to see how Arch looks, because they already know how it will look if they've run their preferred DE or WM before.

I do expect screenshots when investigating a new DE or WM, because they are meant to be graphical user interfaces and I want to know what graphics to expect. Anyone who is thinking about running, say, ratpoison on Arch shouldn't expect to find such on archlinux.org, they should expect to find representative screenshots on the ratpoison homepage.

Arch is differentiated by that which is invisible, not that which is visible.

Look at it this way: if I fire up a Debian box and give the Gnome desktop an Arch Linux wallpaper and submit it to Arch Linux screenshots, how will anyone know that it's a fraud?

#12 2012-06-07 05:58:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

/dev/zero wrote:

Look at it this way: if I fire up a Debian box and give the Gnome desktop an Arch Linux wallpaper and submit it to Arch Linux screenshots, how will anyone know that it's a fraud?

Hey cool, I now realize this entire sub-forum can be deleted smile.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#13 2012-06-07 18:42:18

fsckd
Forum Fellow

If I remember, someone posted a shot of his Windows desktop. yikes

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#14 2012-06-07 20:42:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I have yet to catch up on all of this thread, so this may have been mentioned.  But in addition to not needing to promote arch through screenshots of the various WMs/DEs, I'd prefer we actively avoid doing this.

I remember not too long ago one individual came to the forums essentially demanding to know how to get to the "arch desktop".  Apparently he saw some flashy picture of one particular arch setup on a blog somewhere; it was done up with compositing and lots of bells and whistles.  The new member knew nothing of linux whatsover, but wanted to use a system that looked like the one he saw on the blog.  He thought his installation was "broken" because when he rebooted after install it didn't bring him to the "default arch desktop".

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#15 2012-06-07 21:00:57

chris_l

/dev/zero wrote:

I do expect screenshots when investigating a new DE or WM, because they are meant to be graphical user interfaces and I want to know what graphics to expect. Anyone who is thinking about running, say, ratpoison on Arch shouldn't expect to find such on archlinux.org, they should expect to find representative screenshots on the ratpoison homepage.

Arch is differentiated by that which is invisible, not that which is visible.

Trilby wrote:

I remember not too long ago one individual came to the forums essentially demanding to know how to get to the "arch desktop".  Apparently he saw some flashy picture of one particular arch setup on a blog somewhere; it was done up with compositing and lots of bells and whistles.  The new member knew nothing of linux whatsover, but wanted to use a system that looked like the one he saw on the blog.  He thought his installation was "broken" because when he rebooted after install it didn't bring him to the "default arch desktop".

Hmm... it actually makes a lot of sense. Certainly, screenshots on archlinux.org seem to cause problems, and seem they should be avoided. So the logical conclusion would be...

ngoonee wrote:

Hey cool, I now realize this entire sub-forum can be deleted smile.

wow! that was not what I had in mind when I posted this thread... lol

anyway, that covers the screenshots, but not the artwork. tongue

Last edited by chris_l (2012-06-07 21:09:43)

No.

#16 2012-06-08 01:29:55

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

chris_l wrote:

anyway, that covers the screenshots, but not the artwork. tongue

My definition of artwork would NOT cover anything being posted here at all =p

#17 2012-06-08 15:39:21

chris_l

ngoonee wrote:

eeh... you just insulted the work of a lot of arch enthusiasts. Not cool sad

No.

#18 2012-06-08 16:01:24

Crunch

chris_l wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

eeh... you just insulted the work of a lot of arch enthusiasts. Not cool sad

I would actually agree for the most part. Most stuff posted here are simply screenshots of desktops. There's very little "artwork" being posted.

Registered Linux user #536591.

#19 2012-06-09 06:55:21

d33n

try http://wallbase.cc/search
If you search for Arch you find a lot of grey wallpapers.
Also you can search for a dominant color, too bad you can't search for tags and color at the same time.

Board footer