Ever since I updated all my packages today, some special characters like ' ─ are not displayed correctly in the tty's. However, they are displayed correctly over ssh. I use bash shell.
I have tried to re-genrate my locale but still the problem persists.
Here is my locale:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8" LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8" LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ALL=
Problem persists even after changing font and shell. But the character substitutions are different for each font. For example, an apostrophe is âµç using Lat2Terminus16 font.
Ever since I updated all my packages today
Which packages were updated? See /var/log/pacman.log if not sure
Running arch is like raising a puppy - if you spend a bit of time with it each day and do just a bit of training you'll end up with the most loyal partner you could want; if you lock it in a room and don't check on if for several days, it'll tear apart your stuff and poop everywhere.
Let me guess, is you have this line in /etc/rc.conf
. If so change it to "yes".
Yes. That was the problem.
I'm not sure if it has always been like that (OR)
if I mindlessly replaced rc.conf with rc.conf.pacnew that came along with the update to initscipts
Thank you both of you for your help!
Given the flurry of people with this exact same problem "after a recent update" I suspect it must have been from too quick of a merging of a pacnew file.