You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-13 05:55:30

snovik

[SOLVED] samba stopped working and /etc/samba is missing

Well, the subj. Samba stopped working. I used to mount a drive in fstab but now mount produces the following error "Unable to find suitable address." whatever that means.

I tried to read the docs and realized that I am missing /etc/samba completely. Re-installing/removing & installing did not help.

It all worked at least 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by snovik (2012-06-16 19:44:07)

#2 2012-06-13 09:30:11

Gcool

Re: [SOLVED] samba stopped working and /etc/samba is missing

2 things to try/check:

- What happens if you try to access the relevant share via smbclient?
- What do the logs (/var/log/messages.log) say?

Burninate!

#3 2012-06-13 17:01:39

snovik

smbclient says: params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/etc/samba/smb.conf":
well there is no such directory as I said above

nothing spotted in the messages.log

#4 2012-06-16 07:37:47

snovik

I found some time to dig around. So I got a smb.conf from samba package.

And now after "smbclient -L localhost" I get "Connection to localhost failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)"

How come? Anything to do with firewall? I have defaults, i.e. even no iptables installed though have to admit I was playing with firewall in the meantime. Can that be the reason?

#5 2012-06-16 19:40:06

snovik

In case it helps anybody. After the plenty of googling and trying this and that I finally managed to make it work.

The refused connection was coming from cups which I had to disable in smb.conf. There are plenty of threads on the internet
"Unable to find suitable address." was coming from the wrong settings on the server to which client could not connect. So the suitable address was really about the server and not client/mount

there was some other minor issues which I can not remember now

#6 2012-10-03 20:00:43

Wikimig
Developer
Website

Also in the intention of helping others, I had the same Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED

I ran the following to display the tree of samba servers found on the LAN (-d 2 is for log level):
$ smbtree -b -d 2

It shows me samba uses IPv6 addresses. It just so happpens I set an IP restriction on my smb.conf file but only using IPv4 addresses. If I remove the IP filtering it can connect to my SMB shares.

Board footer