You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-15 04:16:37

dummyan

[SOLVED]dhcpd: sharing internet connection from router to clients

I can't seem to figure out (no wonderin, I am inexperienced with networking) how exactly you share an internet connection obtained by (authoritative?) router among a subnet of dhcpd clients? I was setting up pxe server (and i succeeded.. somehow) but nobody gave a reference to this specific problem. This guy http://igor.chudov.com/projects/PXE-Net … Of-Ubuntu/ wrote:

Expect to spend at least 1/2 hour figuring out good DHCP settings for your network. This is more complicated if there is another DHCP server on your network, as it often is the case.

and i don't quite get the catch. Someone willing to explain or give references?

Last edited by dummyan (2012-06-15 11:37:28)

I was born ready noob.

#2 2012-06-15 05:10:23

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED]dhcpd: sharing internet connection from router to clients

It sounds like you are trying to configure your system as a router.  You want to administer a subnet on one port, and act as a gateway to allow those machines to share your connection to a parent network on a second port.  In this case, your address for the second port comes from the network to which you are attached and its DHCP server.  Your machine, on the other hand, runs a DHCP server for machines downstream from your first port.  You then act as a gateway and provide NAT services bridge the two ports.

Here is an article you should read from our Wiki.
Also, for background this wikipedia article

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2012-06-15 11:33:59

dummyan

Re: [SOLVED]dhcpd: sharing internet connection from router to clients

Thanks for the short and clear answer! Also, thank you for not flaming me because the answer can be found on the wiki.. I just didn't knew what to look for.

I'm marking this as solved

I was born ready noob.

Board footer