You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-21 00:58:02

akejo

Strange behaviour in Openbox

Hey guys.

Searching the forums, I havent found any hints on how to solve my problem. Perhaps I've only worded my searches wrong. Anyways, here's my issues and my brains is starting to send me 'I quit' notes... It is basicaly a new net-install, and I've added small programs as I go along and need them for a few days now.

1:st

When I start Thunar it sometimes add a block of image, showing the background up to the left, and leave a shadow after itself when I close it. I get no error messages at all, so I'm kind of lost on where to look. The screenie shows both that image and the shadow.

desktop2j.th.png

Secondly:

When I start openbox the first time after login when I've started the pc, then started up X(startx), I can only focus the first window I click on. If I click the terminal, no other applications get focus, starting up X and clicking desktop makes it impossible for me to gain focus of the terminal. I can, however access the menu in openbox.

my xinitrc and openbox/autostart

# start some nice programs
if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ] ; then
	for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/* ; do
		[ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
        #[ "$f" -ne "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/30-dbus" ] && [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f
"
	done
	unset f
fi

# setup fonts and keyboard
setxkbmap se
xset +fp /home/akejo/.fonts/
xset fp rehash 
# xscreensaver -no-splash &
xcompmgr -c -C -t-10 -l-10 -r6 -o.55 &

# Last step: wm
# Settings and startup apps placed in ~/.config/openbox/autostart
# dbus here for Thunar bin to work, apparently.
exec dbus-launch openbox-session

-autostart---------------------------------------------------
hsetroot -fill /home/akejo/win/data/Linux/.wallpapers/Dragon_Wallpaper_by_Cygnux
.jpg &
urxvt -fg grey82 -bl +sb -font 7x13 -g 80x24+3-34 &
dropboxd &
volumeicon &
tint2 &
----------------------------------------------------

It might have something to do with startup daemons or polykit(which I don't know much of yet) because when I exit openbox and restart it directly again it all works. as it should.

This behaviour is just when I log in first time. I don't really know where to look as the X log shows no errors.

I'm very thankful for any any bone thrown in here, so I atleast know where to start looking.

#2 2012-06-21 01:06:55

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Re: Strange behaviour in Openbox

akejo wrote:

Hey guys.

Searching the forums, I havent found any hints on how to solve my problem. Perhaps I've only worded my searches wrong. Anyways, here's my issues and my brains is starting to send me 'I quit' notes... It is basicaly a new net-install, and I've added small programs as I go along and need them for a few days now.

1:st

When I start Thunar it sometimes add a block of image, showing the background up to the left, and leave a shadow after itself when I close it. I get no error messages at all, so I'm kind of lost on where to look. The screenie shows both that image and the shadow.

Are you running a compositor (xcompmgr or compton)? If you are, stop and then restart the compositor. This "shadow" has been described by many openbox users with compton or xcompmgr.

Here is one thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=141975

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-06-21 01:16:24)

#3 2012-06-21 01:14:31

akejo

Duh me... "Shade, Shadow" and so on.. I will have to work to level up my usage of valid search terms. I apologize for the unintended 'opening of old issues'.

I do use that compositor and I'll get rid of it and see how that goes. Perhaps that also solve the focus problem.

Thanks.

2ManyDogs wrote:

Are you running a compositor (xcompmgr or compton)? If you are, stop and then restart the compositor. This "shadow" has been described by many openbox users with compton or xcompmgr.

Here is one thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=141975

#4 2012-06-21 01:18:20

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

akejo wrote:

Duh me... "Shade, Shadow" and so on.. I will have to work to level up my usage of valid search terms. I apologize for the unintended 'opening of old issues'.

No big deal -- I've just seen the question a few times.

(edit -- stupid double post; don't shoot me please mods)

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-06-21 01:22:21)

#5 2012-06-21 01:21:39

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

akejo wrote:

And I don't know if you need consolekit, but this is from the wiki:

PolicyKit and ConsoleKit
Various desktop environment features and applications expect PolicyKit and ConsoleKit to be active, and will produce errors if absent. A common error to notice is the inability to access shutdown or reboot prompts from desktop environment windows, and failure to mount USB devices, CD-ROMs etc. without root permissions. Most modern display managers will start PolicyKit and ConsoleKit automatically. When only using ~/.xinitrc with e.g. startx, you should execute the window manager as follows:

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

It might be a good idea to install it and see if it helps. Another thing you could try is take all the stuff out of your autostart file and see if openbox works properly then (as jasonwryan says, "reduce the vectors of fail").

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-06-21 01:24:43)

#6 2012-06-21 01:51:29

akejo

I check it out and enable/disable them one at the time, have to reboot each time as it only shows up on new login smile

Thanks

2ManyDogs wrote:
akejo wrote:

And I don't know if you need consolekit, but this is from the wiki:

PolicyKit and ConsoleKit
Various desktop environment features and applications expect PolicyKit and ConsoleKit to be active, and will produce errors if absent. A common error to notice is the inability to access shutdown or reboot prompts from desktop environment windows, and failure to mount USB devices, CD-ROMs etc. without root permissions. Most modern display managers will start PolicyKit and ConsoleKit automatically. When only using ~/.xinitrc with e.g. startx, you should execute the window manager as follows:

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

It might be a good idea to install it and see if it helps. Another thing you could try is take all the stuff out of your autostart file and see if openbox works properly then (as jasonwryan says, "reduce the vectors of fail").

Last edited by akejo (2012-06-21 01:51:42)

#7 2012-06-21 02:39:51

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

akejo wrote:

I check it out and enable/disable them one at the time, have to reboot each time as it only shows up on new login smile

I'd take them all out and only then (if it works) add them back one at a time, until it breaks. If you take them all out and it's still broken, you know it's not anything in autostart.

I'd also install consolekit. Probably try this first.

#8 2012-06-21 03:17:00

swanson

You could also try cairo-compmgr. For some the xcompmgr works, for some the cairo-compmgr works. It's in the AUR. Lycka till!

#9 2012-06-21 11:32:35

akejo

Tack.

I did install cairo-compmrg and it looks neat, I'll just have to figure out how to make it show those shadows under the windows all the time, they only show if I go into cairo-compmgr preferences, change something then apply...

But that comes after my startup issue smile

swanson wrote:

You could also try cairo-compmgr. For some the xcompmgr works, for some the cairo-compmgr works. It's in the AUR. Lycka till!

#10 2012-06-21 18:27:40

Šaran

You could also try compton-git from aur. It's xcompmgr fork, and lot of people say it's much more stable than xcompmgr.

#11 2012-06-21 20:26:29

akejo

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Šaran wrote:

You could also try compton-git from aur. It's xcompmgr fork, and lot of people say it's much more stable than xcompmgr.

#12 2012-06-22 05:36:19

ignorant

This is being discussed on the compton github right now.

https://github.com/chjj/compton/issues/31

#13 2012-06-22 05:56:53

tomk
Forum Fellow

Akejo - FYI, when you're quoting and replying, it's customary to put the quote first and your reply second. No biggie, just thought I'd mention it.

#14 2012-06-23 14:35:49

akejo

tomk wrote:

Akejo - FYI, when you're quoting and replying, it's customary to put the quote first and your reply second. No biggie, just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks, tomk. I'll watch where I put the text smile

Last edited by akejo (2012-06-23 14:55:08)

Board footer