You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-25 21:16:24

trusktr
Banned
Website

Add a feature to the Forums to close inactive threads?

Perhaps a feature that automatically closes threads that haven't had activity for 1 year?

... That way people like me won't accidentally post in a thread that is 6 years old!! haha. big_smile

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#2 2012-06-25 21:20:34

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Add a feature to the Forums to close inactive threads?

1. Can't you read the date of the last post and refrain from posting?

2. If you would like to see the feature, you should file a CR (change request) on the tracker for the FluxBB devs. We have time and again informed users that we do not make any modifications to upstream software and the same holds true for the forums.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2012-06-25 21:26:06

drcouzelis
Website

Don't worry about it! After a while you'll get used to the Arch Linux fo...

trusktr wrote:

...oh. Ohhh.

Anyway, here's a serious discussion on the topic: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 01#p733501

wink

#4 2012-06-25 21:41:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

trusktr wrote:

... That way people like me won't accidentally post in a thread that is 6 years old!! haha. big_smile

No technology that we could implement can prevent people from having to exhibit a moderate amount of effort and/or intelligence to determine whether or not their proposed post is helpful to the community or just landfill.

The premise of Arch is that people want responsibility over their machines and will presumably be competent enough to extend that responsibility to their interactions with the community.

Also, as has been pointed out, there has already been a discussion about this. Perhaps, you could do people the courtesy of reading that?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2012-06-25 22:23:18

karol
Archivist

It may be possible to use e.g. a greasemonkey script that will warn you if are about to start a thread similar to ones already recently posted, post to a thread older than n days etc.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=123763

#6 2012-06-25 23:23:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

drcouzelis wrote:

Anyway, here's a serious discussion on the topic: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 01#p733501

I'm tempted to bump that two year old thread, just to satiate my hunger for irony.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2012-06-25 23:51:49

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Trilby wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:

I'm tempted to bump that two year old thread, just to satiate my hunger for irony.

Well played, sir smile

As always though, the devil is in the details. The mods use our discretion, but in some cases its blindingly obvious that a bump is useless (6-year-old thread included in this category).

And to be blunt - no software/tool can compensate for laziness and a lack of awareness.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer