You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-09 06:42:03

Alexplay

Problem connecting to the internet through router

I recently bought a noname wireless router (abit 5002), I configured it and everything works perfectly, except that i can't connect to the internet from linux using the ethernet cable.

My phone and laptop detect and connect to it flawlessly, also right now im connected using the ethernet cable from Windows 7. A thing i noticed is that the ethernet port light on my pc blinks intermittently, this happens only when i boot to linux. Only 2 PCs are connected directly to the router, this (dual boot) and another one which uses windows which also works normally.

dmesg | tail shows that my nic constatly goes up and down. What could be the problem? I'm using dhcpcd, but also tried dhclient and same results. I also factory reset the router, tried with and without keys, manually setting my ip on linux, but it won't connect to the internet. I never had a problem connecting directly to the modem, so it can't be a faulty cable, which wouldn't make sense since it does work under Windows.

Sometimes i managed to connect by messing with the network settings, manually setting the gateway and subnet mask, after several tries doing # rc.d restart network and # dhcpcd -K it obtained a lease and connected, but as soon as i restarted i had to do it again, until it didn't work anymore. Now it just obtains a lease (sometimes) but doesn't connect to the internet. I tried with opendns servers, using MAC clone option in the router, in case my ISP rejected the MAC from my router, but same results. Also rebooting the router while i was under linux (since long ago i had another router that had this problem, everytime i booted into a different OS i had to reboot the router for it to work) had no results. ipv6 is also disabled.

The only thing left to test is using netcfg + dhclient/dhcpcd, since now i'm using the network daemon, perhaps that could solve it, but i don't have time atm, so maybe i could get some ideas why this is happening.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Alexplay (2012-07-09 06:56:04)

#2 2012-07-09 07:53:34

Gcool

Re: Problem connecting to the internet through router

What's your ethernet nic exactly and which driver are you using (lspci -k will tell you)?

Burninate!

#3 2012-07-09 20:31:44

nomorewindows

Do mii-tool.  It will print out the state of the interface.
I have one that for whatever reason, have to reset the interface or unplug and replug the cable everytime I boot.
mii-tool -r <interface> will do the same.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4 2012-07-10 03:47:52

Alexplay

I managed to get it working partially, i had to put in rc.conf netmask=255.255.255.0 and gateway=192.168.1.1. Blacklist !network from the daemons, and now when i boot i have to do dhcpcd -K in order to get the internet working. I tried netcfg and obviously the same problem occurs since it seems to be a problem with the dhcp leases.

Anyway here's the output of lspci

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
	Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device 0d83
	Kernel driver in use: atl1c

About mii-tool it shows this after the dirty fix i did:

eth0: negotiated 10baseT-FD flow-control, link ok

And stays like that. BUT if i change everything back as it should be, that means the only line in rc.conf networking section is interface=eth0 and dhcpcp ran without the -K switch then mii-tool reports:

eth0: nolink

That on a constant interval.

#5 2012-07-10 18:43:04

nomorewindows

10baseT with a gigabit ethernet, and a 300Mbps wifi router: You shouldn't be having any problems getting 100baseT!

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#6 2012-07-11 09:19:29

zenlord
Website

Check your IP-settings.

I have solved a long-standing (similar?) problem at my uncle's home network. The cable provider had installed a new modem with built-in router that was only configurable through a very limited webinterface. The modem-router had an IP-address of 192.168.1.1 and gave out IP-addresses on the .1.-subnet. My uncle's wireless router served IP-addresses on the .0.-subnet, making it impossible to get an internet-connection from the .0.-subnet.

This problem only became apparent by checking the logs on the router because the modem-router wasn't easily configurable/debuggable. So check the logs of your Abit 5002-router...

Board footer