You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-15 07:01:10

ambalex

networking problems

Hello Archers!

I've had a problem trying to set up network on my laptop.
I have a wireless router, but it is not in wireless I am interested now, but in using the wireless router to access the internet via LAN.

I assumed the access I need is DSL (PPPoE), and defined a gateway in the /etc/rc.conf file. (I used a gateway that works with the Windows OS, but how can I know it is a valid gateway?)

The problem, is that when I boot the machine, I can see something like "host name lookup failure" when the network should be started. When I switch off the machine, I see "network is not working..."

Has any body a hint to help me?
How can I know the network is working?

thanks!

#2 2005-09-15 07:49:00

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: networking problems

if you can see this page come up in your browser, you know your network is working *LOL*

[edit]
if you can ping your router network is working

#3 2005-09-15 08:01:41

pressh
Developer/TU

A network gateway is an internetworking system, a system that joins two networks together, so the IP you use in 'That Other OS' should also work in Arch.
Also for the PPPoE question, use the same as in T.O.O.S
Further you might want to find out if the module for your network card is loaded, you can use either of the following commands ('lsmod' or 'cat /proc/modules |cat')

#4 2005-09-15 22:09:47

ambalex

thanks for replying...
i got it working, I just needed to add the module of my hardware to the modules list in rc.conf, add the eth0="dhcp" line and disable the default gateway. (everything comes in the wiki docs)
so... now i do not need that other O.S.

Board footer