You are not logged in.

#176 2012-05-11 11:18:14

Arch_in

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

For one thing ... gnu/nix is all about choices, software freedom etc etc etc. Your operating system, your way. So started in the kiddie pool w the more popular gui heavy newb distro's, some I liked ( linux mint, pclinuxos ... by way of examples.) Some didn't ( begins w a U and ends w a u  ... hint* smile ) Went on a minimalist distro-hopping rampage, a couple dozen. Tons of great distro's out there, then onto #! ( crunchbang) which is linuxy goodness and a kickbutt nix community to boot. But still wasn't my OS, my way. Having learned a thing or 3 after googling till fingers bled and countless hrs of screwing w this pc, switched to minimal Debian netinstall. Which is linuxy awesomeness imo and ruined the idea I'd ever use a pre-rolled distro again. Debian squeeze was much closer to my OS, my way, than anything I'd seen up till then. BUT Debian stable, while doesn't get any more stable, tends to be OLD, OLD, OLD !!!! Arghhhhh !

While there's plenty of options for installing the latest to Debian and learned many of em. Still seemed like a great next step and something I'd wanted to try anyway ... Da dreaded "Arch" ... and the famed AUR. Was nowhere near as tough installing and setting up as people on google had me believing. So far finding this distro to be kickbutt nix. What you want, how you want. Super great on sys resources ( if you prefer and I do). Recent software in the repo's or at your fingertips, w/o having to trackdown .deb's ... compile this/that, or switch repo's over to unstable or testing and get into friggin apt-pinning and preferences.

Right now Debian and Arch are neck in neck for me. Really like ... will keep on using em both. Arch has a few more pro's for me, THANKS to the devs and maintainers for such a kickbutt nix distro ! Sighs ... this became the getty's burg address ... sorry folks. But ya asked (OP), you asked for it. Shrugs. smile

Last edited by Arch_in (2012-05-11 11:32:09)

#177 2012-05-11 12:21:40

Awebb

You only use Arch, because so many people over at the #! forums talk about it all the day :-P

#178 2012-05-11 13:41:08

ralvez
Website

I had no choice. I'm a geek ... could not help it. tongue

#179 2012-05-11 16:15:21

Arch_in

LMAO tongue Awebb ...

Debian stable is awesome stuff me thinks, but gets oldddd, well is olddddd by design. Fashionably old, plus Arch is supposed to be this uber difficult to grok distro. Was time for a challenge, what geek ( or in my case dork) could resist !?!? Only whatcha want, easy access to latest packages !?!??! Awebb might've mentioned Arch is good stuff a few times here n there too.  Had to see what all the hubbub was really all about for meself.

Hi ... my name is Arch_in and I'm errrrr. Oops ... wrong forum, sorry folks. wink

#180 2012-05-22 21:36:59

Thom
Website

I don't remember where I heard about Arch but since I try Pacman I can't just change. ^^

I want to learn about Linux and arch is the best way to understand what I'm doing.

#181 2012-05-27 06:40:33

Thme

Stuff just works for ME now... So i guess that's a reason if not for the fact that:(no particular order of importance to me)

1: I wanted something setup to my standards to work exactly the way i wanted it to leaving no one else to blame but myself and my lack of understanding if something doesn't.
2: I wanted the features included in the newest versions of packages i use the most.
3: I Like updating only the things i want updated and when without any annoying notifications
4: I love the Package management system now that i grasp pacman and makepkg!!!!
5: got tired of distro-hopping to get the features a and functionality that i wanted
6: I'm a megalomaniac and Arch gives me a way to express that positively.... well maybe...
7: The challenge, the learning experience and the fact that the "Arch way" just makes sense to me.
8: Getting real performance was what i wanted too.(of course that's a subjective statement depending on the setup...)
9: The Wiki's are very well written, detailed and clear!!!!!!!
10: The community is awesome and little to no B$ on the forums. Just solutions, good advice and suggestions.
11: I wanted to be free from dual booting wintendos... now i have something more fun to tweak and customize than playing occasional video games...

There's more but that was a few of my reasons for switching...

"Hidden are the ways for those who pass by, for light is perished and darkness comes into being." Nephthys:
Ancient Egyptian Coffin Texts

#182 2012-05-28 19:05:21

Kitkin15

Because Ubuntu 10.10+ is complete garbage. Though they do have good points, they use Gnome3 or Unity which both make me puke. Their completely bloated and Ubuntu had a lag, and i had Arch running for about a week straight and it was perfectly fine. Arch+FluxBox is an amazing zippy combination, and i love it <3 Ubuntu with FluxBox would still be a bit laggy (Though not as much as with Gnome).

*Real Life Poke-Battle*
Punk Kid: "LINUX MINT! I CHOOSE YOU!!!"
(My Gengar was about to die, and i wasnt about to lose a poke-battle to some kid!!!)
Me: "..... Arch Linux? I CHOOSE YOU!!!"
Me: "Do your PACMAN ATTACK!!!!"

Bam.
Linux Mint Died.

I have not left Arch since then <3

~Kitkin15
I hate systemd. <3 initscripts <3

#183 2012-05-28 19:22:40

Psykorgasm

Honestly, too lazy for Gentoo again and ebuild pains and various other crap, even on this newer hardware I've owned the past few years.
I use pbget + makeworld to simulate Gentoo updates/upgrades to make up for it though, and of course  to give myself a "placebo effect" for that mad optimization and speed.

#184 2012-05-28 22:12:47

Toxcity

A few reasons from me:

1) Performance, I attempt to get the lightest setup up without comprising functionality. Even though I have plenty of memory and processing power I still like have 200MB for the OS and that then leaves me with 8GB, ALL MINE! big_smile

2) Challenge, If I wanted a system that worked for me out of the box I would use Windows. Ubuntu, Mint etc are far too close to it these days.

3) Educate! How better to learn about Operating Systems than semi-build one?

#185 2012-05-28 22:31:40

I am Gianluca

1) ArchWiki
2) Rolling release
3) The challenge of try to control and adapt to your needs something complex
4) ArchWay

Laptop: Acer Aspire S3 | Linux Mint Cinnamon 64-bit

#186 2012-06-18 21:46:07

patrickekkel

1) Worked with linux at work for a couple of months so got excited and decided to take Arch as my first linux distro for home use and after a month of use i am still happy.
2) A minimal system with only the software that i use, i hate pre installed software.
3) Archwiki
4) This forum, because it solved all my problems when i was to lazy/stupid to read the wiki xD
5) The logo, its better than the Debian logo
6) etc.. et.c..

#187 2012-06-19 14:54:47

1. The Arch Way
2. During and after installation the wiki made me decide to stay with Arch.
3. Logo, and the stickers i got in the mail smile

#188 2012-06-21 06:03:58

hobarrera
Website

* KISS
* Bleeding edge repo
* It's similarities with BSDs and their philosophies (which I also like a lot)
* The documentation!!
* Because it's flexible:  The downside is I have to configure my system.  The upside is I <b>can</b> configure my system.  And the way I like it.
* The logo and website are goodlooking.  One tries not to judge a book by it's cover, but it's simple human instinct.

I like to think of arch as a "build you own system the way you like it, configure it as you like, but don't bother doing all the heavy work, building, maintaining packages, patches, etc".

Rolling release also has it's pluses.  You never need to perform a clean reinstall. ever

[Edit] Fixed tags. tongue

Last edited by hobarrera (2013-12-11 22:04:39)

#189 2012-07-04 02:31:13

apokaliptik

Toxcity wrote:

A few reasons from me:

1) Performance, I attempt to get the lightest setup up without comprising functionality. Even though I have plenty of memory and processing power I still like have 200MB for the OS and that then leaves me with 8GB, ALL MINE! big_smile

2) Challenge, If I wanted a system that worked for me out of the box I would use Windows. Ubuntu, Mint etc are far too close to it these days.

3) Educate! How better to learn about Operating Systems than semi-build one?

#190 2012-07-04 04:04:42

limescout

I switched to Arch when I got frustrated with Fedora for not providing the latest musescore package.  I decided I needed to switch to a rolling release system so I wouldn't be tied down to old software.

The reason I stuck with Arch so far?  Pacman Pacman Pacman!

#191 2012-07-04 16:32:52

dave1

1) Archwiki, unbelievable resource
2) Arch forum, ditto
3) Pacman

Sums it up really, there is nothing out there to compare big_smile

#192 2012-07-05 02:20:48

2011gil

I tried it because I was bored with everything working on Linux Mint, and because I saw an article on Lifehacker about how, among other things, you could learn more about Linux using Arch.

Today, things pretty much "just work" (except for my Nvidia card with Optimus, which makes me use Windows for CUDA), but I keep using Arch because the other distros are either too easy (Ubuntu) or way too complicated (LFS). I tried Gentoo and today I can install it in a few hours, but I just do not have the time or patience to wait forever for a web browser to compile. So I stay with Arch but somehow I feel that the perfect OS is still out there. I just haven't found it.

#193 2012-07-08 10:45:18

HungGarTiger

I have moved down the rabbit hole gradually, I started with Ubuntu as I was attracted to the customization options of GNU/Linux. Although after about 6 months I became frustrated that I couldn't really change anything (at that time I didn't know how). So I moved on to Debian Squeeze and things were a little better, but after getting frustrated again I decided to give Arch a try - I've had it up and running now for almost a week and things are going great.

I like being forced to do things myself, I've have had less problems (to date) with Arch than other distros because I have HAD to sit down and RTFM. The community is great, I have to say the Debian community can be (generally, there are some great members) very negative and seem to ride around on a very high horse.

I love pacman and rc.conf.The wiki is great and I am looking forward to being a productive member of the (already awesome) community

"No sympathy for the devil. If you buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Hunter S. Thompson

#194 2012-07-20 19:54:36

keepitsimpleengineer

Now retired, I use computers for entertainment (Mythtv), futzing around (Facebook, Drudgereport, &c) and my hobbies including digital music, 3D graphics, some simulation and a few games, some engineering and design work all as a pastime.  The latter can require some pretty heavy duty computation.

Long ago I worked with Ref Hat, SuSE at home.  Then Ubuntu came along and offered the advantage of a large community and shelter from excessive maintenance.  Now Ubuntu has been watering down performance and quietly deprecating some of its advanced features cramping my workstyle (e.g. playstyle).

I also use Windows, and my ears are still ringing from the Vista experience. roll

One of the fellows (LowSky) on Mythbuntu forums who was very helpful had switched to Archlinux so I checked it out.  After nearly 50 years working with computers, I had happily weaned myself from the joys of the terminal, but Archlinux has restored that.

So here the reasons I'm switching to Archlinux… ‥ .
1⁘Fast and faster. (Significantly, I was surprised, it was not expected)
2⁘Everything works. (esp. compared to Ubuntu)
3⁘Command-line not repressive. (kinda feel young again!)
4⁘Serious community. (hooray for the non dilettantes)
5⁘Great documentation. (everything in just a few places, well thought out, leads to understanding not just cookbook steps)
6⁘Low maintenance to use ratio (who likes to use a pencil that requires sharpening after two words, or watching TV where you have to adjust the volume every 30 sec)

All in all, glad to be here...   cool

Al Einstein: "Man soll die Dinge so einfach machen wie möglich ~ aber nicht einfacher." (Things should be as simple as possible ~ but not too simple.) ~ Al (Einstein) war ein Cousin von Albert, "Al" ist die Abkürzung für Aloysius

#195 2012-07-23 10:17:45

illusionist

Because for me typing "pacman" is easier than typing "apt-get" and Arch is something which I can brag about. tongue

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#196 2012-07-23 14:34:42

SubSub

Back in early 2006, I got bored.  And there was "wombat." Simple.

Mu Empire.

#197 2012-07-23 17:39:21

scjet
Banned

SubSub wrote:

Back in early 2006, I got bored.  And there was "wombat." Simple.

btw: is "wombat" the mascot for Arch ? in fact, does Arch bother with a mascot?
-i know, that's 2 questions.

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

#198 2012-07-28 19:27:11

burninate

I didn't chose Arch Linux, it chose me. Long ago I was captured in great darkness, just when the spirit of UNIX blessed me with great insight. I then learned about The way of the UNIX and became enlightened. Since then I have walked the path of it's many descendants, harvesting the purest seeds.

#199 2012-07-28 19:52:52

kjell

Because I was tired of running outdated packages. 
Because I wanted to pick my own DE, and not some script infested alteration of <insert DE>
Because it's lean.
Because it's mean.
Because it brought me back to the basics of Linux.

#200 2012-08-02 01:24:12

drobole

Because its the only distro that satisfies all my requirements, which is

1. A kick ass name and logo. (I wonder how many potential users SUSE, Mandrake, Ubuntu and last but not least PClinuxOS looses over this issue)
2. Rolling release that doesn't break
3. Huge binary repository.
4. Bleeding edge.
5. Documentation (Wiki)
6. Community participation (Not as open as the linux kernel but still)

The only competition for me would be aptosid (If they had kept the name sidux they would actually satisfied requirement number 1, but aptosid!?!? hell no)
Besides, it doesn't satisfy requirement number 5 and 6 either.

Board footer