You are not logged in.

#1176 2012-06-30 22:39:00

bwat47

Re: Laptops which run Arch

I've posted in this thread somewhere before I'm sure, but I've finally got everything on my laptop (Asus U52F) working pretty much 100%.

Power management (using just pm-utils) is working perfectly, all good in powertop, I get around 5 hrs of battery life.
Suspend/Resume/Hibernate are all working perfectly ( did need to use a script to get resume from suspend working though)
Wireless/Audio(including HDMI output)/Touchpad/Keyboard (Including multimedia and volume hotkeys) are all working great.
Intel graphics have always worked great for me, but I did have a problem with compiz + most of the dock programs I tried (awn, docky, plank, and dockbarx are all giving me graphical glitchiness for some reason, other apps are fine..)
Fast boot time (12-14 seconds to LXDM). Super responsive and stable XFCE desktop, no crashing or instability.

Last edited by bwat47 (2012-06-30 22:40:52)

#1177 2012-07-01 04:36:24

BurntSushi
Website

Lenovo Thinkpad T430

TL;DR: Working beautifully.

Specs:

• i7 3520M (Dual core, Four threads, 4M cache, 2.9GHz)

• 14" 1600x900 display

• Intel HD Graphics 4000, no discrete graphics card

• 4GB memory

• 128GB Crucial m4 2.5” (7mm) SSD (laptop shipped with a 320GB 7200rpm platter)

• 9 cell 70++ battery

• Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 (2x2 BGN)

Common software

No desktop environment. Openbox/pytyle3/pager-multihead. Gkrellm. Konsole. Google Chrome. Vim. Konversation. Wicd.

Battery life

On 66% brightness, it seems like about 8 hours seems to be the sweet spot for typical usage (web browsing and vim). 100% brightness seems to knock this down to the 5-6 hour range. I've only had the laptop for a couple of days, so these numbers are pretty rough and based somewhat on extrapolation.

I have all of the tweaks suggested by `powertop` enabled for the exception of SATA link power management (because I am using an SSD). This includes wifi, audio and usb power management.

I also have the 'ondemand' CPU frequency governor enable, which is the default nowadays anyway. Changing governors (tested powersave, performance and conservative) works perfectly.

Disable KMS when using the current Archlinux installer

The current default Archlinux installer uses an older kernel that doesn't included the updated drivers for Intel's HD 4000 graphics (and possibly wifi?), so KMS fails once it tries to load---which ends up borking the display. To get around this, add 'nomodeset' to the kernel boot parameters to disable KMS. You'll have to do this again on initial boot if you install the kernel that comes with the installer. Once an updated kernel is installed, this boot parameter is no longer needed. (I also tried one of the snapshot installers, but it was having trouble setting up the mount points.)

Most of the current T420 wiki page is relevant

And by that I mean, most things just work. Wifi, graphics (with xf86-video-intel), CPU frequency scaling, screen brightness, keyboard backlight, and excellent two finger scrolling (out-of-the-box with xf86-input-synaptics, no configuration necessary despite what the T420 wiki article says).

Thinkfan

I installed thinkfan and added the thinkpad_acpi kernel module to MODULES in rc.conf. This is my thinkfan /etc/thinkfan.conf:

sensor /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

(0, 0, 40)
(1, 38, 43)
(2, 41, 50)
(3, 44, 54)
(4, 51, 63)
(5, 55, 67)
(7, 61, 32767)

The settings are tweaked (a little less aggressive) from http://www.jakubkotowski.com/2011/06/th … tings.html. I've tested it with the utilities in the cpuburn package and it seems to work well. For me, the fan stays off when idle and kicks into its lowest settings on typical usage (web browsing and vim, for me).

acpid

This also worked out of the box with one small tweak. In /etc/acpi/handler.sh, I replaced

ac_adapter)
    case "$2" in
        AC|ACAD|ADP0)

with

ac_adapter)
    case "$2" in
        ACPI*|AC|ACAD|ADP0)

Basically, the 'ac_adapter' event is called with the first two arguments as 'ac_adapter ACPI0003:00', and 'AC|ACAD|ADP0' doesn't match that.

pm-utils

Works beautifully. Literally no problems.

laptop-mode-utils

I don't use it. acpid + pm-utils + powertop's recommended tweaks are enough for me. (I use acpid to raise and lower the brightness when the AC adapter is [un]plugged, and make sure that on wakeup/boot, the brightness is set appropriately.)

Sleep button

For whatever reason I haven't been able to discover, I cannot detect any power button presses (neither through `acpi_listen` or `xev`). However, the T430 has an extra unlabeled button to the right of 'turn microphone on/off' button that shows up in xev as 'XF86Launch1'. I put this in my ~/.xbindkeys:

"sudo pm-suspend"
  XF86Launch1

And it's now a sleep button. (As long as you set 'pm-suspend' to require no password using `visudo`.)

Web cam

Just works. I installed 'guvcview' and then ran it. It worked.

Audio/speakers

Alsa just works. Speakers sound good enough to me. (I'm no audiophile though, and have never been too picky over audio quality. My ears aren't very discerning.)

Haven't tested

VGA. Mini display port. Mic. USB 3.0. mSATA. Memory card slot.

I don't anticipate any problems with these things, though.

Conclusion

Archlinux works beautifully on this machine. I literally could not have imagined a smoother experience. I've installed Arch on several laptops, and this was by far the easiest. Having the wifi driver included in the kernel is an especially nice thing that I'm not used to. (Been a victim of broadcom for many years.) Also, the integrated graphics works beautifully, although I am not doing any compositing beyond xcompmgr transparency.

The laptop also has excellent ventilation and actually stays cool enough for it to be bearable to sit directly on my lap for extended periods of time.

This laptop also comes with the option of adding nvidia via Optimus. I recommend staying away from this unless you're willing to deal with Bumblebee. There is also a 1366x768 screen option, and based on preliminary reviews, it isn't that great. Go with the 1600x900 screen---it's quite good.

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#1178 2012-07-05 16:06:38

Ambrevar
Website

Dell Inspiron N5040
Works perfectly with Linux >= 3.0 (have not tested older kernels).
Intel CPU graphics works well for 2D on Arch.
However, I did not manage to have a decent resolution on FreeBSD.

Asus X52J
Works perfectly except for the video card (a kind of underground AMD HD 3300 which is extremely badly supported by official drivers).
Screen flickers for a few seconds after stand by.
I experienced a regression with Wifi on a kernel update. That's when I learnt to always have a fallback kernel installed! (Either custom or LTS).
Regression was fixed within a few days.

Compaq 615 (not sure of the name name)
Took me a while to understand that its BIOS (which runs a graphical layer btw) could not boot any Arch, BSD or some other distro setups.
It has a very poor support of bootloaders indeed: in that case Syslinux will not work (which is what Arch Iso uses).
So I ended up installing another distro, and chrooting a Arch system from there, then removing the first distro.
Otherwise everything worked properly.

Bug is reported here:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19625

Last edited by Ambrevar (2012-07-30 08:06:54)

#1179 2012-07-08 07:08:45

spoonie_aus

ASUS G74SX 
Instaltion as of 7/7/12
No major issues smile, not all the fn keys work but a bit of scripting will work that out.

#1180 2012-07-08 15:28:26

silly
Website

theGunslinger wrote:

Asus eee-pc X101

Everything works out of the box except fn+volume keys but that can be easily bypassed.
Didn't try the sd card reader yet.

sd card works. i mounted /home on it.
edit: had to skip diskcheck on it though because no matter the hooks, i did not get it initialized fast enough.

care to explain/link me how you fixed the volume buttons?
would be appreciated.

Last edited by silly (2012-07-12 11:41:33)

Preserve wildlife -- pickle a squirrel today!

#1181 2012-07-08 21:03:22

ZigBee

Lenovo Ideapad U310

13,3" - 1366x768
CPU: Intel i5 3317U 1.7Ghz
GPU: Intel HD 4000
RAM: 4Gb
HDD: 32 Gb SSD + 500 Gb 5400 rpm

Everything works perfectly. Amazing boot time ~7 seconds with / on ssd.
You need nomodeset for install because of kernel < 3.2 in install image.
Touchpad is synaptics clickpad, so for right click you need:

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Option "TapButton1" "1"
        Option "TapButton2" "2"
        Option "TapButton3" "3"
        Option "ClickPad"         "true"
        Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "0"
        Option "SoftButtonAreas"  "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
EndSection

#1182 2012-07-10 01:49:25

kyla
Website

ZigBee wrote:

Lenovo Ideapad U310

13,3" - 1366x768
CPU: Intel i5 3317U 1.7Ghz
GPU: Intel HD 4000
RAM: 4Gb
HDD: 32 Gb SSD + 500 Gb 5400 rpm

Everything works perfectly. Amazing boot time ~7 seconds with / on ssd.
You need nomodeset for install because of kernel < 3.2 in install image.
Touchpad is synaptics clickpad, so for right click you need:

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Option "TapButton1" "1"
        Option "TapButton2" "2"
        Option "TapButton3" "3"
        Option "ClickPad"         "true"
        Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "0"
        Option "SoftButtonAreas"  "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
EndSection

Thank you thank you thank you for posting how to get right click to work. I was so confused.

#1183 2012-07-10 02:41:22

earsplit
Website

^Care to comment on the battery life? The U310 is on sale for $750 this week. Thanks =]

((( configs :: website )))

#1184 2012-07-10 12:47:25

goran'agar

Sony Vaio VPCM13M1E

Almost everything works out of the box. What needed some tweaking:

• added s3_bios quirk for resuming from ram

• sdhci modules have to be removed prior to suspending to ram/disk to have the controller working after resuming

• same for bt_usb

• volume keys need to be mapped in xfce to aumix

• had to install volnoti to display nice pics and progressbar when raising / lowering / muting the volume

• synaptics touchpad configuration needed as per wiki page

What does not work (more testing is in progress on my side, though):

• hang after resume-from-disk if plugged to AC

The system has been upgraded to 2GB or RAM and is now running a ck-enabled kernel installed from Repo-ck with custom packages for zfs and spl to have root-on-zfs.

Last edited by goran'agar (2012-07-10 12:48:36)

Sony Vaio VPCM13M1E  - Arch Linux - LXDE

#1185 2012-07-10 19:44:40

kyla
Website

earsplit wrote:

^Care to comment on the battery life? The U310 is on sale for $750 this week. Thanks =]

I tend to get around six hours out of a full charge with normal use

#1186 2012-07-11 17:48:36

madprops

Asus n51vn

I've had it since 2009, I had to remove the keyboard and use an external one, but it's still going strong.

#1187 2012-07-12 08:45:46

Wilco

HP Pavilion DM1-4000sd
Not recommended for running Linux!

Netbook installs fine. the brcmsmac driver does not work, e.g. flaky connection, low signal strength, 1mbit throughput. Installation needs an ethernet cable.

This netbook unfortunately gives hard lockups at seemingly random invtervals, not distro specific. Seems like a bug in the chipset or broadom-wl driver. Both the wl driver and brcmsmac need to be blacklisted otherwise udev gives a kernel panic.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-L … -p/1339919
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1989051
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1903054

#1188 2012-07-14 01:10:02

Pacopag

Hi.  I know this thread might not belong here, but I respect the opinions of arch community over most others.
I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and will be putting arch on it.  I was wondering if there are any manufacturers to stay away from, or that are recommended.  I've had trouble with getting some hp laptops to take linux in the past, so I'll likely stay away from that one.  The two I'm considering are ASUS and Toshiba.

Some opinions on which of these two laptops you'd go for would be great too.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedi … ent/N53SN/

and

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ … 27868aen02

From what I see, the main factors are (please tell if you notice others)
Asus vs Toshiba
3rd gen vs 2nd gen
1600MHz ram vs 1333MHz ram
7200rpm drive vs 5400rpm drive

I'll be using it to code some simulations, so raw speed is most important, but with lot's of memory accesses and writes to the drive.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Pacopag (2012-07-14 01:11:21)

#1189 2012-07-14 01:14:56

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merged with the Laptops that run Arch thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#1190 2012-07-15 07:19:47

kyoko

ASUS N53S
Everything is ok: media keys, brightness control, touchpad, hybrid video via bumblebee, hibernation.

Sorry for my English

#1191 2012-07-15 13:06:52

thoho180192

HP 6530B run arch perfectly.
Everything works out of the box.
Wireless without Ndiswrapper

I cant get the Card reader to work thou, but that is not important.

#1192 2012-07-16 14:22:52

mfXpert

Running Arch on ASUS N53SN.

It took me a great deal of time configuring Arch in the way I wanted and now everything works flawlessly. cool
The major problem was power consumption but now it's not a problem anymore, thanks to laptopmode-tools and bumblebee.

#1193 2012-07-16 22:41:42

icetonic

Thinkpad L530 (N2S2TGE)

I'm an Arch Linux user for years, so that's what I chose to be my laptop operating system as well. At first I repartitioned the all-consuming Windows partition and cut the space by half to make some room. I had no problems installing the system from the 2001.08 core x64 image (just needed to boot with "nomodeset" until I updated the kernel). I'm not going into detail about the process itself, so let's jump straight to the hardware features..

Wifi

lspci reports:

06:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)

Is works out-of-the-box with the rtl8192ce driver , which is kind of awesome. I did experience some connection problems after updating the installed kernel to 3.4, which magically disappeared as I started using NetworkManager. Well, all in all I really can't complain here.

Bluetooth

The built-in bluetooth adapter works fine without any special treatment, I installed bluez and blueman and it just worked. But I don't use it a lot, so no much details here. Just for the sake of testing I paired my laptop with my smartphone and successfully sent a file, so I suppose everything is fine.

Speakers and microphone

Both speakers and microphone are detected and work fine without any special configuration, just install alsa-utils and unmute in alsamixer, and there you go. The speaker sound quality is not really inspiring, but what to expect from a low-budget laptop?

Webcam

The webcam also works with default drivers out-of-the-box. The device is:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f2:b2ea Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

I tested both the microphone and webcam with Skype, it works as expected.

Graphics

This laptop features the Intel HD 4000 shared on-board graphics, which is for sure better than the NVidia GT 520 in my old computer. Not exactly a gaming card, but it does it's job well, even with my casual games. The drivers are xf86-video-intel-sna and libva-driver-intel. I could start X at the best resolution and with 3D accelleration without even creating a xorg.conf! That's really new to me and it feels really good.

Processor

The reason for purchasing the L530 with an i5 processor is of course the built-in Turboboost. The processor is i5-3210M with 2,5GHz (up to 3,1GHz Turboboost). With the normal tools like cpufreq-info you only see the max. speed as 2,5 GHz, but with i7z I actually have seen that the boost works, indeed.

VGA-Port

I can't imagine living without two monitors. Fortunately I don't have to. Plug in and go. The Intel drivers support dual monitor with 3D accelleration flawlessly, xrandr is your friend.

Special keys

All special keys except the microphone mute key work fine and either do their job, or are bindable to something. The misbehaving mic-mute key seems to be a discussed problem already concerning not only this laptop.

Power management

I use laptop-tools together with hdparm and acpid. It works fine, meaning that the hard drive spins down, the cpu speed is reduced to 1,2 GHz when idling and the brightness adjustment works as well. The power usage is about 9-14W in battery mode, about 30+W wired. Suspend-to-RAM works fine, but hibernation failed for some reason. It might be my fault, though. Update: It was my fault, indeed. Had to enable the resume hook for the kernel, after that hibernation works fine too!

SD Card Reader

lspci:

01:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)

The card reader was the only device that required some external drivers. I downloaded the driver from the Realtek homepage and also created an AUR package (rts5229) which makes the SD card reader work. No drama at all.

Fingerprint Reader

Although the ThinkWiki says that my device (Bus 001 Device 003: ID 147e:1002 Upek) is not supported under linux, that's not quite the truth. It works perfectly fine with fingerprint-gui, which is also located in the AUR. It does it's job very well after setting it up correctly (see ArchWiki for FPrint).

Touchpad and Trackpoint

The Touchpad works with default synaptics drivers. The Trackpoint does not work at all and that makes me a bit sad. It's not recognized as part of the Touchpad and also not recognized as any other input device. I found no way to make it work. At least I never had the time to get used to it, so I'm not missing it much.

Not tested

Mini-DisplayPort input, USB 3.0 performance (as I have no USB 3.0 devices), Ethernet (but nothing special expected here), combined headphone/mic jack

===Conclusion===

Well, I hope I didn't forget some important hardware component. Anyhow, I can say that the whole setup was quite painless.

The little trickier pieces were the fingerprint reader and sd card reader, which do work fine after installing the right drivers, but it's annoying that the micmute key and the trackpoint do not work (at least for now).

Other than that, I am a happy new Lenovo-customer and Thinkpad-believer smile

Last edited by icetonic (2012-07-17 19:09:48)

#1194 2012-07-19 07:14:16

Wilco

Wilco wrote:

HP Pavilion DM1-4000sd
Not recommended for running Linux!

Netbook installs fine. the brcmsmac driver does not work, e.g. flaky connection, low signal strength, 1mbit throughput. Installation needs an ethernet cable.

This netbook unfortunately gives hard lockups at seemingly random invtervals, not distro specific. Seems like a bug in the chipset or broadom-wl driver. Both the wl driver and brcmsmac need to be blacklisted otherwise udev gives a kernel panic.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-L … -p/1339919
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1989051
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1903054

Small update, think I've solved the crashes by disabling acpi thermal and the  sp5100_tco module.

#1195 2012-07-23 17:09:02

clpc
Website

HP G62 intel i3
Very quiet and keeps cool.
Everything seems to works fine.
I run a very minimal system, Openbox, no panel, Xfe fm and Chromium.
Fitted a Seagate hybrid 500GB HDD, it boots from power on to desktop in 13 seconds and I manually type in user/pass and startx.
Apparently it has two graphics cards, an intel and an ati. I just use the intel one and the standard size glxgears gives me 1032fps.

I am well pleased with the laptop and recommend it although I have heard earlier models of this same laptop had over heating problems, they were probably windows users though.

This is my main PC nowadays, I do have an Advent 4211 as a backup but I use this HP for all my main computer needs.

My next laptop will hopefully be an i7 when I can afford one.

Clive,
"Today's great idea is tomorrow's mess to clean up."

#1196 2012-07-25 19:45:10

Rainbow

Mini Laptop Compaq cq10-120la

Everything works perfectly.
Maybe have troubles with the network adapter, chipset Broadcom but nothing else.

Info

CPU: Intel Atom N270 a 1,60GHz
RAM: 1 GB DDR2
Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
HDD: 160 GB (5400 RPM)
Cache: 512KB Level 2.

if you can imagine it, ¡you can create it!

#1197 2012-07-27 18:38:30

maman.lalilu
Website

Asus A43SJ Notebook
Everything works, including card reader, webcam, bluetooth and microphone.
I run gnome 3, and for power management I'm using jupiter applet.

CPU: Intel Core i3 2330M, 2.20 GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3
Graphics: NVidia 520M, currently using nvidia proprietary driver. Nouveau works just fine, btw
HDD: 500GB, 5400 rpm

have some problems with Touchpad, though.
This notebook have a Elantech touchpad, which can be enabled with synaptics driver.
two finger scrolling, multitouch works.
but it randomly stutters and scrolls - dmesg reported "touchpad resynced" or something.
still no luck on fixing that :s

Last edited by maman.lalilu (2012-07-27 18:42:54)

#1198 2012-07-31 02:24:44

TheCuban

Lenovo ThinkPad X200

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600
GPU: Intel GMA
RAM: 4GB 1066MHz DDR3
HDD: 160GB 7200RPM

Runs great, no complaints. big_smile Nipple works great too! Haven't tested the fingerprint reader since I don't use it. WLAN works great with Wicd. Currently running XFCE 4.10 w/ SLiM. GPT-BTRFS-GRUB2-SYSTEMD smile

systemd-analyze blame

13200ms psd.service
  6418ms wicd.service
  3281ms avahi-daemon.service
  3264ms systemd-logind.service
  1888ms systemd-vconsole-setup.service
  1351ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
  1293ms systemd-udevd.service
  1234ms dev-hugepages.mount
  1227ms dev-mqueue.mount
  1209ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
  1165ms rpcbind.service
  1042ms systemd-modules-load.service
   923ms nfsd.service
   814ms upower.service
   769ms systemd-sysctl.service
   765ms rpc-idmapd.service
   750ms systemd-remount-fs.service
   649ms console-kit-log-system-start.service
   452ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
   386ms udisks2.service
   358ms rpc-mountd.service
   241ms console-kit-daemon.service
    89ms tmp.mount
    74ms systemd-user-sessions.service
    22ms var-lib-nfs-rpc_pipefs.mount
     1ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount

#1199 2012-08-05 22:43:44

R0B

I use a ProBook 6455b. And I must say that Arch installs fine. But there are a number of driver related issues. Certain laptop features are hindered on mine because I did not have drivers.

#1200 2012-08-06 12:59:30

pralias47

HP 630 B2X98PA

Didn't encounter any hardware related problems, although I haven't tried bluetooth or the microphone.

I had problems configuring the touchpad, mostly because synaptics was ignoring 10-synaptics.conf. I suspect this was caused by installing kdebase-konsole as my terminal window, in the Xfce environment. In any case, it was fixed by uninstalling then reinstalling all of X and Xfce, while leaving kdebase-konsole in place.

Last edited by pralias47 (2012-08-10 01:44:51)

Board footer