You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-23 22:27:21

Updating removed inetd

Hi,

After lots of head-scratching, reading the FAQ, and searching this forum I managed to install Arch 0.5 and get adsl pppoe connection working. But when I next tried to update Arch I encountered a nasty surprise -- I was once again without network connection. It appears that pacman removed inetd.

I remember that at one point pacman asked my permission to install 'coreutils' and 'iputils' and remove some stuff. I trusted that pacman knew what it was doing and answered 'yes'. Maybe I should have said 'no'.

So, how am I supposed to set up a network connection without inetd? And why did pacman remove it in the first place?   :?:  :shock:  :?:

#2 2003-12-24 10:19:37

Re: Updating removed inetd

Well, OK. Reading the news article, it appears that I need to install xinetd before I allow pacman to remove netkit-base. If any of you Arch gurus (or Arch newbies) use pppoe adsl net connection, I'd appreciate any advices about what changes need to be made after this update in order to get the net connection working again.

neutral   :?:

#3 2003-12-24 13:57:10

Hmm... I installed xinetd, changed the 'inetd' entry in /etc/rc.conf to 'xinetd', and rebooted a couple of times. Nework connection seemed to be OK, so I allowed pacman to remove inetd.

Here's a list of things to remember if you have pppoe adsl net connection like me:

-- during the initial installation select 'rp-pppoe' from package group 'net' and 'iptables' from group 'system' (and 'mc' to be able to edit config files)
-- add your NIC to /etc/modules.conf (like explained in documentation) and in /etc/rc.d change the eth0 entry so that it looks like: eth0="dhcp"
-- after installation and creating a user account run (as super user) 'adsl-setup'
-- save /etc/ppp/options as /etc/ppp/options.backup (or something similar) and create new /etc/ppp/options file that only contains these 5 lines:

user XXXX
usepeerdns
noipdefault
defaultroute
noauth

(where XXXX obviously is the user name for your adsl connection) and also add 'adsl-start' to /etc/rc.local

-- after updating the system

# pacman -Sy
# pacman -Sy pacman
# pacman -Sy
# pacman -Syu

install xinetd:

# pacman -S xinetd

and change the 'inetd' entry in /etc/rc.conf to 'xinetd'

Well, if I remember correctly the procedure was something like that. It worked for me so it might work for others, too.  wink

Now that I've got the base system updated and network connection working, I'll install some other packages. So far Arch Linux feels like a cool distro.  8)   When I get it really working, I'll return to this site and read the news forum properly and check out all the other cool things that you Arch Linux users have here.  big_smile

#4 2003-12-24 14:01:10

Heh, I confused name and subject in that last post.

#5 2003-12-24 14:44:33

Oh, I forgot to add that while installing 'coreutils' pacman updates quite a few files in /etc, including /etc/modules.conf and /etc/ppp/options, but it also saves the old files as backups so it's easy to restore previous settings.

#6 2003-12-24 15:27:03

Mmm... One more correction,

# pacman -Sy
# pacman -Sy pacman
# pacman -Sy
# pacman -Syu

is obviously redundant.

# pacman -Sy pacman
# pacman -Syu

would have done the same thing.  smile

#7 2003-12-24 16:34:20

Anonymous wrote:

Here's a list of things to remember if you have pppoe adsl net connection like me:

-- during the initial installation select 'rp-pppoe' from package group 'net' and 'iptables' from group 'system' (and 'mc' to be able to edit config files)
-- add your NIC to /etc/modules.conf (like explained in documentation) and in /etc/rc.d change the eth0 entry so that it looks like: eth0="dhcp"

you can also simply put your nic in /etc/rc.conf MODULES=() array

also changing your eth0 entry in rc.conf to eth0="dhcp" will not work universally. in many situations it exactly this that prevents users from connecting

-- save /etc/ppp/options as /etc/ppp/options.backup (or something similar) and create new /etc/ppp/options file that only contains these 5 lines:

user XXXX
usepeerdns
noipdefault
defaultroute
noauth

(where XXXX obviously is the user name for your adsl connection) and also add 'adsl-start' to /etc/rc.local

again this is is NOT universal. any entry in my options file prevents me from connecting and others have had the same thing.

as for putting adsl-start in rc.local is not needed. simply add 'adsl' to your DAEMONS=() array in /etc/rc.conf and the start up script that gets installed in /etc/rc.d will be executed

other than these few comments i have nothing to add.

Board footer