You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-05 13:27:18

pogeymanz

Why are KDE packages named the way they are?

None of the other DE's packages are named so obnoxiously.

For example, Gnome Shell's package is just 'gnome-shell' and Nautilus is 'nautilus'

Yet, Dolphin is 'kdebase-dolphin' and Okular is 'kdegraphics-okular'. If I want to install some KDE app, I have to search for it first every time because I don't know if it's in kdeutils or kdebase or kdesdk.

Forget about remember a package name if it's a plasma applet/addon.

'kdeplasma-addons-runners-events', 'kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement'

It's a little much, no?

It would make more sense to me to at most keep 'kde' as part of the package name for the apps (kde-dolphin). In which case you would also want to have 'gnome-nautilus' as a package.

Maybe for the plasma addons, something like 'kde-runners-events' and 'kde-applets-networkmanagement' because runners aren't even close to the same as plasma applets.

#2 2012-08-05 14:28:40

anonymous_user

Re: Why are KDE packages named the way they are?

My guess is its based on upstream. Just check the file names:

http://download.kde.org/stable/4.8.4/src/

#3 2012-08-06 02:26:33

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Plus I'm certain I remember mailing list discussions (on the Arch lists) about this matter. But more importantly, as anonymous_user says - its about upstream...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2012-08-09 02:02:57

omeringen

Board footer