You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-20 16:09:17

mumpf

[solved] transfer of the DAEMONS` line from rc.conf to rc.d

According to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rc.conf I should transfer my configuration to other files, however I'm not sure where to transfer my daemons line
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng acpid dbus @sensors @wicd @alsa @cupsd @crond)
must be somewhere in /etc/rc.d/ according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DAEMONS, but which configuration file includes the daemons now?

Thanks and best regards

mumpf

Last edited by mumpf (2012-08-21 09:37:09)

#2 2012-08-20 16:23:32

kukibird1

Re: [solved] transfer of the DAEMONS` line from rc.conf to rc.d

#3 2012-08-20 18:09:40

mumpf

the relevant line of your link is out of date: "These programs can be added to the DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf " And I do not know where to add this line instead now.

Last edited by mumpf (2012-08-20 19:10:50)

#4 2012-08-20 19:05:05

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

The link kukibird1 supplied is correct. If you are using SysVinit, you use the DAEMONS line in rc.conf, if you are using systemd then you start the services with systemctl.

Arch Wiki wrote:

Unless you are using an alternate init system like systemd, /etc/rc.conf configures which daemons to start during boot-up and some networking and storage information.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2012-08-20 19:08:28

kukibird1

mumpf wrote:

the relevant line of your is out of date: "These programs can be added to the DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf " And I do not know where to add this line instead now.

You can leave your Daemons line where it is for now. Arch has plans to use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/ which will use unit files for starting/stopping services. If you have no plans to test systemd you can leave the info in your rc.conf file where it is or move just the hostname,console,locale info to these separate files as the old init system can read both.

#6 2012-08-20 19:20:52

mumpf

thank you for your information. Sorry kukibird, I misunderstood you. I was not sure, whether or not I have to set the configuration files soon. The header of my post was not very well set (I have changed the header now). At the present I'm using SysVinit, but in a while I will have to use systemd (when will I have to do this change?). That's why I wonder how to migrate the configuration and where to copy the DAEMON's line (before migrating to systemd). "the new configuration files take precedence and using them is recommended" according to the rc.conf wiki.

In the rc.conf wiki it is said about the daemons: "A space-separated list of scripts located in /etc/rc.d/ which are started during the boot process." Do I have to change the DAEMONs' line into separated scripts? The syntax ot the example looks exactly as it used to be.

My rc.conf with remarks where to transfer the relevant line:

# LOCALIZATION
# ------------
LOCALE="de_CH.UTF-8" #copied to /etc/locale.conf
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime" #copied to /etc/adjtime
TIMEZONE="Europe/Zurich"#copied to /etc/localtime
KEYMAP="sg-latin1"#copied to /etc/vconsole.conf
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=
DAEMON_LOCALE="yes"#obsolet
USECOLOR="yes"

# HARDWARE
# --------
MODULES=()
USEDMRAID="no"
USEBTRFS="no"
USELVM="no"

# NETWORKING
# ----------
HOSTNAME=

#interface=eth0
address=
netmask=
broadcast=
gateway=

NETWORK_PERSIST="no"#default

# DAEMONS
# -------
#
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng acpid dbus @sensors @wicd @alsa @cupsd @crond)#to copy to ?

Last edited by mumpf (2012-08-20 19:48:57)

#7 2012-08-20 19:43:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

can you please use [ code ] tags when pasting snippets ?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2012-08-21 00:52:10

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Please READ what jasonwryan posted. You did not comprehend the section of the wiki that he so helpfully pulled out for you...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2012-08-21 02:39:23

anonymous_user

mumpf wrote:

In the rc.conf wiki it is said about the daemons: "A space-separated list of scripts located in /etc/rc.d/ which are started during the boot process." Do I have to change the DAEMONs' line into separated scripts?

Do not get caught up with /etc/rc.d/. What the wiki is simply saying is the daemons are located in /etc/rc.d/. If you browse to that directory you will find many executables for the daemons.

For SysVinit, you just use the DAEMONS line in your rc.conf file. For SystemD you use units, read the wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … sing_Units

If you plan on switching to SystemD now, I highly suggest you read over the wiki several times slowly. It contains the information you need.

#10 2012-08-21 07:55:35

mumpf

Hi anonymous_user
Thank you for your detailed explanation. I'm beginning to understand the principle.

jasonwryan wrote:

if you are using systemd then you start the services with systemctl.

I did not understand that, obviously it's a total different way to start services, so I will have to read the wiki...

However I must say, it's confusing, that the Daemons section of the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … de#Daemons
refers only to the present state, but the other parts refer allready to systemd.

Last edited by mumpf (2012-08-21 09:38:40)

#11 2012-08-21 23:53:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Its a wiki, Arch has only just changed over to systemd, someone needs to actually do the update smile.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer