You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-22 23:21:49

olaf.the.lost.viking

KDE 4.9: how to disable the question for the SIM PIN on startup?

I am using KDE 4.9 with NetworkManger on a notebook with integrated UMTS modem. Via the networkmanager applet I added a (system) connection for my provider including the PIN for the SIM (set on "store"). When I startup the notebook, KDE still asks for the SIM PIN on login. Even if I cancel this dialog, I can still go online via a click on the networkmanager applet as it has my PIN stored. Therefore the dialog is useless for me and "annoying". Is there a way to prevent KDE/NetworkManager asking me for the PIN when logging in (or force it to always try the one saved in KWallet/NetworkManager config first)?

I switched to OlafLostViking to match the IRC alias.

#2 2012-08-23 09:15:43

masteryod

Re: KDE 4.9: how to disable the question for the SIM PIN on startup?

I'm not sure but there's a trick with wallet in kde - doing wallet with empty password (don't type password at all). It's not obvious but it worked for me on other password annoying things.

#3 2012-08-24 22:31:39

olaf.the.lost.viking

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, this is more of an ugly workaround than a solution ;-). While I can see how this could work, I don't want to have all the saved passwords without any protection on the harddrive. I'd prefer the PIN dialog to actually ask kwallet and wait for me to enter the password or (even better!) don't ask for a PIN at all as long as I don't try to go online via UMTS.

I switched to OlafLostViking to match the IRC alias.

#4 2012-08-25 15:08:30

masteryod

olaf.the.lost.viking wrote:

I don't want to have all the saved passwords without any protection on the harddrive.

I think you can have one wallet unprotected for particular application and another one with password for top secret things. But I'm not guru on this whole KDE wallet thing.

Board footer