You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-28 20:01:26

xracer

VirtualBox vboxdrv module, not a problem, just a question

Well, ive installed Virtualbox, and ive got to modprove vboxdrv to get that module loaded so VirtualBox can run... Ive thought to put this on the rc.conf, so i dont need to modprove ir every time i boot and want to use vbox. But whats the drawback of having a module loaded always?, i mean, does it consumes resources as much as considering this? or i just add it to my rc.conf? I dont use vbox everyday, just isolated use... so for the moment modproving it everytime i need it doesnt hurt... smile, thnx!

#2 2012-08-28 20:43:06

alphaniner

Re: VirtualBox vboxdrv module, not a problem, just a question

Module autoload has moved to /etc/modules-load.d

You could also use a script or some such to load the module just before launching Vbox.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2012-08-28 22:03:21

89c51

Speaking of which is there a way of having systemd do this. ie a service file that will load the module when you start vbox and unload it when you exit vbox??

#4 2012-08-28 23:29:39

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

xracer wrote:

i mean, does it consumes resources as much as considering this?

Yes, it will consume resources, mainly RAM... It's up to you if that usage is worth savings by loading and unloading all the time. Personally, I just leave it loaded. One less thing to worry about.

#5 2012-08-28 23:44:34

zero_one

I've tried to just  manually load vboxdrv when needed, but lead to too many doh! moments.

Board footer