You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-06 16:03:15

None

Please, I want my account removed...

I've seen there is no way to delete a user account, so, I'd like my account and profile to be deleted.
Hope site admins read this.
Thanks.

#2 2012-09-06 16:42:27

bohoomil
Website

Re: Please, I want my account removed...

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#3 2012-09-06 17:01:50

netspider

Hi,

Maybe it's time to update your policy. From what i looked up using host command it seems that bbs.archlinux.org is hosted inside EU (in Germany) and and there is currently a law requiring internet companies to remove all personal data per request. [1]
I don't know whether the original poster is from EU but if he is, he has the right to get his account deleted. You are using outdated software if it doesn't allow for such simple task.

[1]: http://voices.yahoo.com/new-eu-law-forc … 84369.html

#4 2012-09-06 17:43:24

Pierre
Developer
Website

This is correct, the quoted policy is invalidated by law. Instead of opening threads, please contact the moderators.

As for a feature to support account deletion, a report already exists; it did not go anywhere yet though: http://fluxbb.org/development/core/tickets/678/

#5 2012-09-06 17:52:18

Odaer

Is forum message really  considered as private data in EU? As I understand it is only considered as  private data if you are identifiable with the data.

#6 2012-09-06 19:30:58

Pierre
Developer
Website

Not the messages, but the account and profile data.

#7 2012-09-06 19:34:00

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

In that case, can't the user just login and put random values in their profile?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2012-09-06 20:40:00

None

Inxsible wrote:

In that case, can't the user just login and put random values in their profile?

That's what I did, but it is not what I want, and I can't believe there is so much work to delete an account. I'm not inside the EU but, what if I want my private data deleted from Arch Community DB? I can change my reaching email address but it's not the same. And being inside or outside EU may be a strictly legal issue, but means nothing for me as I have to resign to a simple right only because I'm outside the great EU.

#9 2012-09-06 20:51:23

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

would you also want your posts deleted? then it would absolutely increase the workload on the admins because each of your threads will have to be split and your posts removed. And even then those threads will no longer make sense because other posts in reply to you will no longer make any sense. I, for one, won't do all that even if you paid me for it.

(you only have 3 posts, but if we allow you to do it, there will invariably be someone with thousands of posts who will make the same request.)

The other option is to blindly delete all posts of the user when deleting the account, but that leads to the same issue above. and all threads started by said user (you in this case) are deleted including all posts by any other users in that thread. And I, for example, might not want my post deleted just because I posted in a thread started by you.

Whose rights do we cater to then?  I am unwilling to take sides in that scenario.

EDIT : grammar ---- it takes someone else to quote you to see those errors. Thanks ewaller wink

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#10 2012-09-06 20:55:31

None

No I would't my posts deleted cause it doesn't matter, I'm talking about profile data.

#11 2012-09-06 20:56:59

ewaller
Administrator

Inxsible wrote:

...you only have 3 posts, but if we allow you to do it, there is invariably someone with thousands of posts going to make the same request....

Moderator note to self:  Be really nice to Karol.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#12 2012-09-06 21:11:27

karol
Archivist

ewaller wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

...you only have 3 posts, but if we allow you to do it, there is invariably someone with thousands of posts going to make the same request....

Does that make me 'too big to fail'?
If you ban me, I will request removing all my posts ;P

#13 2012-09-06 21:22:46

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:
ewaller wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

Does that make me 'too big to fail'?
If you ban me, I will request removing all my posts ;P

which we will promptly ignore tongue

and when the hell did you cross 14 grand? I thought you were in the 13Ks..

Forum Rules

#14 2012-09-06 21:25:49

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

This EU directive has not yet been passed into law: it is currently a proposal.

We will amend, if necessary, any Arch forum policies to ensure that we do comply with the law once that legislation is finalized and enacted. Until that time, the current policies stand.

nohmen01 wrote:

No I would't my posts deleted cause it doesn't matter, I'm talking about profile data.

If you want to remove your personal data from your profile, you can do that.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#15 2012-09-06 22:05:30

Pierre
Developer
Website

This guideline was proposed in 1995 and should be put into a law by the EU countries by 1998. Or in short: these laws are active and apply here.

#16 2012-09-06 22:09:06

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Pierre wrote:

This guideline was proposed in 1995 and should be put into a law by the EU countries by 1998. Or in short: these laws are active and apply here.

Link please? I thought we were talking about the EU directive quoted by netspider.

#17 2012-09-06 22:10:51

Pierre
Developer
Website

See https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richtlini … htlinie%29 There are tons of articles about this. See for example http://www.frag-einen-anwalt.de/Abmeldu … 70643.html

I am not a layer though neither do I want to go into details about some vague laws.

#18 2012-09-06 22:19:28

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Pierre wrote:

See https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richtlini … htlinie%29 There are tons of articles about this. See for example http://www.frag-einen-anwalt.de/Abmeldu … 70643.html

I am not a layer though neither do I want to go into details about some vague laws.

And I don't speak German, so I can't go into any detail--vague or not smile

#19 2012-09-06 22:24:43

karol
Archivist

jasonwryan wrote:
Pierre wrote:

And I don't speak German, so I can't go into any detail--vague or not smile

Isn't it the same as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Protection_Directive (click 'English' on the left to switch language)?

Edit: Google translate seems to do a decent job: http://translate.google.com/translate?s … ml&act=url

Last edited by karol (2012-09-06 22:27:42)

#20 2012-09-06 22:40:17

None

jasonwryan wrote:

This EU directive has not yet been passed into law: it is currently a proposal.

We will amend, if necessary, any Arch forum policies to ensure that we do comply with the law once that legislation is finalized and enacted. Until that time, the current policies stand.

nohmen01 wrote:

If you want to remove your personal data from your profile, you can do that.

Sorry but I can't. I can't delete my email address without specifying another one, and I can't disassociate my username from the account, and to me, those count as personal data.

#21 2012-09-06 22:59:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

karol wrote:

Isn't it the same as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Protection_Directive (click 'English' on the left to switch language)?

Oddly, no: they are quite different (according to Google Translate, anyway).

nohmen01[/quote wrote:

I can't delete my email address without specifying another one, and I can't disassociate my username from the account, and to me, those count as personal data.

I can change both of those - if that is satisfactory (as far as I know, the db won't keep track of the original values, but Pierre would have to confirm that) then I will do that - but you will no longer be able to log in so please make sure that is what you want.

#22 2012-09-06 23:00:55

cfr

I think there are two issues here.

First, there is the existing EU directive which is already law. Or, rather, it had to be turned into law by all member states by the end of 1998.

Second, there is a proposed regulation which would supersede that directive were it to become law.

It actually doesn't matter where your server is. Technically, any use of equipment inside the EU (including a user's own computer) makes you subject to the law. The proposed regulation would extend the scope of the law.

Email addresses are definitely considered private data. For user names, I think it would depend.

It will also depend on the details in the terms and conditions etc. users agreed to when they signed up for an account. For example, Google etc. use different agreements for EU countries than they do in North America which reference the relevant legislation. (E.g. the UK one references the relevant UK legislation which is the EU directive as it was turned into law here. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Protection_Act_1998 for details of the UK legislation.)

At least, I think so...

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#23 2012-09-10 13:05:36

None

jasonwryan wrote:
karol wrote:

Oddly, no: they are quite different (according to Google Translate, anyway).

nohmen01[/quote wrote:

I can't delete my email address without specifying another one, and I can't disassociate my username from the account, and to me, those count as personal data.

I can change both of those - if that is satisfactory (as far as I know, the db won't keep track of the original values, but Pierre would have to confirm that) then I will do that - but you will no longer be able to log in so please make sure that is what you want.

If it cant be deleted (and it seems to me a silly excuse) at least you should change the data. I couldn't find the forum "terms and conditions" to re-read at this point by the way.

Board footer