You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-14 19:52:14

Ecky

Isp's server for smtp

My isp doesn't allow relaying so using postfix to send using my own domain name isn't allowed, never had this issue before as my previous isp had no such restriction so I could use some pointers to get me started

What's the best way to go about using my isp's smtp for outgoing mail?

I've been following this section on the arch wiki:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SOHO_Postfix and didn't do anything at the section on SMTP-AUTH which the wiki says is optional and that using the isp's smtp is recommended, it doesn't give any information though of anything that needs to be done if you're going to follow the recommendation and use isp smtp

Surely just pointing a mail client to the isp smtp wouldn't be sufficient?  I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be at all practical and would lead to all kinds of confusion

I'm assuming there must be some kind of configuration needs doing with postfix and/or dovecot to handle outgoing mail via the isp smtp?

Any help given appreciated

Mainboard:  Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H  -  Processor:  Amd Phenom X6 1090T  -  Memory:  8GB (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3  -  Graphics:   XFX Ati Radeon HD 6870

#2 2012-09-15 05:37:26

ghen

Re: Isp's server for smtp

They will likely only care about the envelope sender address (ie. what's sent in the SMTP conversation, not the "From" header).
You can have Postfix fix those up using "smtp_generic_maps", a table to translate user@yourdomain into youraccount@ispdomain.

See Postfix Address Rewriting for more info.

#3 2012-09-15 14:09:48

Ecky

Cheers for the link mate, I've had a quick read

Seems as though it's meant for people who don't have a domain, i.e. it sends from an isp address rather than being sent as from 'localhost', which isn't quite my scenario

I need to send from my domain using my isp's smtp but still have it 'look' as though it's from my domain and the reply-to address being on my domain not the isps

I don't even know how to make postfix use the isp's smtp in the first place, using relayhost in main.cf perhaps?

Mainboard:  Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H  -  Processor:  Amd Phenom X6 1090T  -  Memory:  8GB (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3  -  Graphics:   XFX Ati Radeon HD 6870

#4 2012-09-16 11:39:52

Ecky

I'm beginning to think it might save me a lot of time and headaches to just go back to my previous isp, not only is the new one not allowing me to use smtp but they flat out refuse to give me a static ip too, apparently they 'can't' issue static addresses, in their case I think can't means won't

Could probably just get a vps (or even a hosting plan) for the price of a beer a week and it then wouldn't matter who my isp is or what restrictions they impose, reconfiguring/resintalling a mail server any and every time I change isp just looks like it's gonna take up more time than I can realistically afford to spend on it, as much as I like playing with this stuff this has taken almost a week's worth of my free time and still don't seem anywhere near making it work

I must not be undrestanding things very well because it seems like I'm having ten times the hassle getting it set up to work with isp smtp than my last setup where I could use my own smtp, and I was completely green at all this stuff back then!  Maybe I just got lucky

#5 2012-09-17 19:47:33

ghen

Ecky wrote:

I need to send from my domain using my isp's smtp but still have it 'look' as though it's from my domain and the reply-to address being on my domain not the isps

With a generics table, Postfix will only rewrite the envelope sender address, ie. the one sent in the SMTP protocol (used for mail routing and bounces), not the From or Reply-to headers which are visible to end-users – those would still show addresses under your own domain.

I don't even know how to make postfix use the isp's smtp in the first place, using relayhost in main.cf perhaps?

relayhost indeed.

#6 2012-09-18 11:11:09

Ecky

Thanks for the reply ghen, and I did try it mate but everything I tried the from headers were showing the address off my domain, but the reply-to were always the address associated on my username with my isp

The isp don't run their own mail servers, they run their mail services off gmail's servers, when I setup my login with the isp for which I had to create a me@myisp type address after a couple of days I realised I wasn't getting gmail anymore, the isp seemed to have decided I wanted them to 'capture' my gmail, how they managed this when I didn't give either gmail or my isp any information regarding my accounts with the other I have no idea.  And mail I sent from gmail?  That too was showing the isp mail address as the reply-to address

Seems as though there's some sort of peculiarity going on there, I went through every setting available to me on the isp account dashboard and couldn't find anything that could be causing this behaviour, their own tech dept started looking into this over three days ago and I still haven't heard back from them on it. 

I fired up an old suse box I used to run mail off that still had the working configuration on it to experiment with thinking I might have more luck being more familiar with suse (before this I've only ever used arch as a desktop) but I ran into the exact same thing, so I'm beginning to think that the problem doesn't lie with everything I've been doing but at the isp's end

Probably going to ditch this isp because not only do I have this mail problem but I also recently realised my connection speed had dropped to a third of what it was when I first went with them and they're also being very slow dealing with that issue.

Going on holiday next week so I'm leaving that until I get back, using a mail hosting account with my domain provider that's costing me just over one british pound per week for now, I'll give this mail thing another go when I get back off holidays and switch back to my old isp

Thanks for trying to help

Board footer