You are not logged in.

#976 2012-09-16 05:59:15

chenxiaolong

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

slovdahl wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
slovdahl wrote:

Here you go smile Thanks for helping out!

Thanks! From the looks of the CMakeCache.txt file, CMake can't seem to find these packages:

bzr # Probably doesn't matter
java # Probably doesn't matter
libjpeg-turbo
libgl / nvidia-utils
libnotify
librsvg
cairo
gtk2
libpng
libxml2
pango

I'm also seeing some weird things being set, such as "GLIB_COMPILE_SCHEMAS-ADVANCED", which isn't in the source code and doesn't appear in the CMakeCache.txt files in any of my builds.

Have you tried deleting the src/ and pkg/ directories before rebuilding (sometimes, the solution is the most obvious one big_smile)?

Yeah, I do before every rebuild. The only dependencies that weren't installed are bzr and java. I installed bzr and java, but no luck. sad

Could you post your package list ("pacman -Q")? I'll set up VM and try find out what dependencies are missing.

#977 2012-09-16 06:02:20

chenxiaolong

Reded wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Yep, the Xorg packages can be skipped. However, the Unity launcher's autohide feature will no longer work (until Xorg 1.13.0 is released).

I guess this is the reason the option isn't there? weirdly though I can set it just fine in ccsm with Arch's Xorg (under Unity Plugin settings) so no harm done big_smile

Are those much talked-about Webapps in your builds yet? I saw there's the libunity-webapps package but I'm not getting any fun webapp action yet sad Was wondering if it's a bug or just something not fully there yet.

I tried them in Ubuntu 12.10 and they don't seem to do much yet though, hopefully by the full release we will see something awesome come off those tongue the technology is there but from a users point of view they're just a bookmark sad

I haven't had a chance to test the webapps yet. In fact, I have no idea what it does. When I get a chance, I'll install Ubuntu 12.10 and find out what this and the lightdm remote login stuff is all about smile

Btw, libunity-webapps is there only because bamf needs it smile

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-09-16 06:02:40)

#978 2012-09-16 06:05:42

chenxiaolong

oi_wtf wrote:

@b9anders: Just click on the "filter results"-line on the right....

@unity-webapps: I did a bit of digging there already, it depends on about five to ten packages not avaiable for arch,
for example the packages for signond...
Also, I wanted to write packages for myself, but there was an issue with signond and cryptsetup I hadn't had the time or mood to solve.

The signon stuff is already packaged smile I disabled the cryptsetup plugin as it uses the deprecated API from cryptsetup 1.1 (I think), which was finally removed in cryptsetup 1.5.0.

#979 2012-09-16 06:06:20

chenxiaolong

qiuwei wrote:

have you experienced a behavior change in HUD?

I used to type the name of certain application to run it. But nowadays it seems not to work anymore. It opens the document which also matches the name instead of running the application.

Is it a new feature?
Thanks

This was actually a bug in Unity 6.4.0.0ubuntu4. The new version 6.4.0.0ubuntu6 fixes this smile

#980 2012-09-16 06:08:01

chenxiaolong

oi_wtf wrote:

@chen,
you're missing some '/etc' in overlay-scrollbar/PKGBUILD...

# Put X11 startup script in correct directory
  install -dm755 "${pkgdir}/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/"
  mv "${pkgdir}/X11/Xsession.d/81overlay-scrollbar" \ # <-- one /etc here
    "${pkgdir}/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/"
  chmod 755 "${pkgdir}/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/81overlay-scrollbar" # <-- and one here

Fixed smile

#981 2012-09-16 06:09:11

chenxiaolong

oddfox wrote:

oi_wtf is correct, managed to get overlay-scrollbar to build correctly on my system yesterday with that tweak.  Also, I wanted to ask if missing window decorations because of a segfaulting gtk-window-decorator was a known issue right now because I have not been able to get it to work properly regardless of what GTK+ or window theme I use.  I had the idea earlier to try out emerald, via emerald-git in the AUR, and thankfully everything is working just fine now only with emerald decorations instead of the "native" ones.

Thanks for all the hard work put into this, guys!

I will update the compiz package to version 0.9.8.2 tomorrow, which should fix the segfaulting smile

#982 2012-09-16 08:44:52

Reded

chenxiaolong wrote:

I haven't had a chance
to test the webapps yet. In fact, I have no idea what it does. When I get a chance, I'll install Ubuntu 12.10 and find out what this and the lightdm remote login stuff is all about smile

Btw, libunity-webapps is there only because bamf needs it smile

They essentially intergrate supported web pages into the desktop- open up gmail.com and you'll find gmail in the desktop messages indicator, and can control it via HUD. The concept is great but I'd like it more if the application icons that get saved to your desktop did more than just re-open the page in Firefox, as having all these pages open would get cumbersome fast. Maybe they will go nuts and make the links open up in a teeny-tiny microbrowser of some sort that displays the info in a less 'oh I just opened the web page... great' sort of way *fingers crossed* big_smile

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

#983 2012-09-16 10:36:26

slovdahl

chenxiaolong wrote:
slovdahl wrote:

Yeah, I do before every rebuild. The only dependencies that weren't installed are bzr and java. I installed bzr and java, but no luck. sad

Could you post your package list ("pacman -Q")? I'll set up VM and try find out what dependencies are missing.

Unfortunately I lost patience and gave up. I removed all X and gtk packages and installed X and gnome, and I haven't tried since. However, when I tried I used a clean arch installation, with no extra packages installed, no X or GTK packages that is.

#984 2012-09-16 14:37:20

BKLive

@chen: I'm following your git README file and a few things have popped up-->
1) libaccounts-glib requires check which is only in AUR. easy fix to install.
2) accounts-plugins requires gnome-control-center-signon which is later in the process (step 36 from 26), but..
3) gnome-control-center-signon requires libgnome-control-center which I cannot find in AUR or normal Arch repos

-------------------- EDIT -----------------------

so for #3 I just built the remaining steps (27-35) and then gnome-control-center-signon compiled and installed successfully. Then I was able to install accounts-plugins (step number 26).

Maybe just a reordering of the README with step 26 happening after 36, and including check before libaccounts-glib instead of step #59?

Last edited by BKLive (2012-09-16 15:16:04)

Main Arch Setup: HP Pavillion p7-1209, Quad-Core i3-2120 3.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Intel Graphics
Laptop Arch Setup: Gateway lt3103u Netbook, AMD Athlon64 1.2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, ATI X1270 R600

#985 2012-09-16 17:01:51

chenxiaolong

slovdahl wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
slovdahl wrote:

Unfortunately I lost patience and gave up. I removed all X and gtk packages and installed X and gnome, and I haven't tried since. However, when I tried I used a clean arch installation, with no extra packages installed, no X or GTK packages that is.

No problem. I know it's quite frustrating when something keeps failing over and over smile

Thanks for the information about the packages you installed though! Since Unity is just a shell over the GNOME libraries, I expected that people have already ran "pacman -S gnome". I'll all this to the README file smile

#986 2012-09-16 17:07:45

pekmop1024
Website

Hi all! Sorry for my absence, I'll update repo today... And I must say that Gnome3 is a full BS, it will be better to include only necessary packages as deps to PKGBUILDs. I do not need all other G3 bloat on my KDE+Unity Arch. sad

P.S. I'm waiting for compiz wink

Last edited by pekmop1024 (2012-09-16 17:13:41)

ArchLinux x86_64 (passively cooled): Xeon E3 1230v2 - 32GB - GTX1050Ti KalmX - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB - 3x2TB Seagate - Creative X-Fi Titanium - Cheiftec GPS-500C
ArchLinux x86_64 (FrankenPad T420): i7 2720QM - 16GB - NVS 4200M - Samsung 840 EVO 1TB - FullHD IPS mod - Intel 7260AC - Sierra Wireless MC7304

#987 2012-09-16 17:08:06

chenxiaolong

BKLive wrote:

@chen: I'm following your git README file and a few things have popped up-->
1) libaccounts-glib requires check which is only in AUR. easy fix to install.
2) accounts-plugins requires gnome-control-center-signon which is later in the process (step 36 from 26), but..
3) gnome-control-center-signon requires libgnome-control-center which I cannot find in AUR or normal Arch repos

-------------------- EDIT -----------------------

so for #3 I just built the remaining steps (27-35) and then gnome-control-center-signon compiled and installed successfully. Then I was able to install accounts-plugins (step number 26).

Maybe just a reordering of the README with step 26 happening after 36, and including check before libaccounts-glib instead of step #59?

Thanks! I moved check before libaccounts-glib and accounts-plugins after gnome-control-center-signon smile

By the way, unity-lens-photos will not work until GNOME 3.6 is released. The facebook, flickr, etc. account plugins are part of empathy 3.6, which I'd prefer to wait until it's released before packaging smile

#988 2012-09-16 17:15:11

BKLive

Done, have Unity (Ubuntu on Session menu) running and there's only one glitch or hangup that I've noticed. No composition or window borders/handlers. That and the top bar is solid black which I think is related. I'm going to try installing gnome group and re-login

Main Arch Setup: HP Pavillion p7-1209, Quad-Core i3-2120 3.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Intel Graphics
Laptop Arch Setup: Gateway lt3103u Netbook, AMD Athlon64 1.2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, ATI X1270 R600

#989 2012-09-16 17:54:25

chenxiaolong

BKLive wrote:

Done, have Unity (Ubuntu on Session menu) running and there's only one glitch or hangup that I've noticed. No composition or window borders/handlers. That and the top bar is solid black which I think is related. I'm going to try installing gnome group and re-login

I'm packaging Compiz 0.9.8.2 right now, which should solve the missing window borders issue smile

Could you post a screenshot of the panel? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

#990 2012-09-16 18:47:23

BKLive

I cannot, sorry. I already completely reinstalled and got back to gnome with cinnamon, but i didn't hunt/peck packages and just went with gnome/gnome-extra groups

I will do again soon with Unity, but I have schoolwork!

To explain better: it was all black and didn't show/hide the window buttons when you hovered. it would change the title depending on your window, but not the buttons. probably directly linked to the missing window borders.

EDIT: By soon I mean later today/while I'm doing schoolwork. I <3 cinnamon, but my wife is partial to unity hmm

EDIT2: Here is the screenshot link, the title bar is still all black and the time displays 'Time' instead of the actual time

screenshot

Last edited by BKLive (2012-09-16 19:42:31)

#991 2012-09-16 19:42:32

oddfox
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:
BKLive wrote:

I'm packaging Compiz 0.9.8.2 right now, which should solve the missing window borders issue smile

Thank you for packaging the update, the compile/install went quite smoothly and window decorations are present although it seems to be stuck on Adwaita for the decorations even though I set it to Radiance (It doesn't seem to matter what I set the window borders theme to be at all, it's always Adwaita and I have lots that I tried).  I also noticed something pretty weird when I enable the Unredirect Fullscreen Windows option in CCSM.  I get heavy flicker on both my main and secondary monitor making the session really quite unusable since I can never be certain what window has focus, what text I've entered into something, etc...  This problem goes away when I uncheck that option in CCSM.  Is that option obsolete now?  Is it unnecessary?

Nvidia GTX 460 here, latest beta binary driver in the AUR.

EDIT:  Also, I don't see any indicators anymore in the upper right.  Window controls and title information are usually present and usable, but there's nothing like the date/time, the ability to log out or switch users, etc...  I've run unity --reset and compiz.reset, any other ideas by chance?

Last edited by oddfox (2012-09-16 19:45:27)

#992 2012-09-16 20:08:18

chenxiaolong

BKLive wrote:

I cannot, sorry. I already completely reinstalled and got back to gnome with cinnamon, but i didn't hunt/peck packages and just went with gnome/gnome-extra groups

I will do again soon with Unity, but I have schoolwork!

To explain better: it was all black and didn't show/hide the window buttons when you hovered. it would change the title depending on your window, but not the buttons. probably directly linked to the missing window borders.

EDIT: By soon I mean later today/while I'm doing schoolwork. I <3 cinnamon, but my wife is partial to unity hmm

EDIT2: Here is the screenshot link, the title bar is still all black and the time displays 'Time' instead of the actual time

screenshot

Thanks for the screenshot! To fix the "Time" issue, just create /etc/timezone with the name of your timezone (from /etc/rc.conf). This was part of the splitting of rc.conf into separate files (I forgot where this was mentioned in the wiki, sorry!).

The black bar is shown simply because the Adwaita theme uses the black color for panels smile

#993 2012-09-16 20:09:57

pekmop1024
Website

[ 87%] Building CXX object plugins/unityshell/CMakeFiles/unityshell.dir/__/__/generated/unityshell_options.cpp.o
Linking CXX shared library libunityshell.so
CMakeFiles/unityshell.dir/src/unitya11y.cpp.o: In function `a11y_invoke_module(char const*)':
unitya11y.cpp:(.text+0x26a): undefined reference to `g_module_open'
unitya11y.cpp:(.text+0x27d): undefined reference to `g_module_error'
unitya11y.cpp:(.text+0x2c9): undefined reference to `g_module_symbol'
unitya11y.cpp:(.text+0x30c): undefined reference to `g_module_close'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [plugins/unityshell/libunityshell.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [plugins/unityshell/CMakeFiles/unityshell.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...

Unity fails to build on clean system... dependency problem?

ArchLinux x86_64 (passively cooled): Xeon E3 1230v2 - 32GB - GTX1050Ti KalmX - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB - 3x2TB Seagate - Creative X-Fi Titanium - Cheiftec GPS-500C
ArchLinux x86_64 (FrankenPad T420): i7 2720QM - 16GB - NVS 4200M - Samsung 840 EVO 1TB - FullHD IPS mod - Intel 7260AC - Sierra Wireless MC7304

#994 2012-09-16 20:20:21

chenxiaolong

oddfox wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
BKLive wrote:

Thank you for packaging the update, the compile/install went quite smoothly and window decorations are present although it seems to be stuck on Adwaita for the decorations even though I set it to Radiance (It doesn't seem to matter what I set the window borders theme to be at all, it's always Adwaita and I have lots that I tried).  I also noticed something pretty weird when I enable the Unredirect Fullscreen Windows option in CCSM.  I get heavy flicker on both my main and secondary monitor making the session really quite unusable since I can never be certain what window has focus, what text I've entered into something, etc...  This problem goes away when I uncheck that option in CCSM.  Is that option obsolete now?  Is it unnecessary?

Nvidia GTX 460 here, latest beta binary driver in the AUR.

EDIT:  Also, I don't see any indicators anymore in the upper right.  Window controls and title information are usually present and usable, but there's nothing like the date/time, the ability to log out or switch users, etc...  I've run unity --reset and compiz.reset, any other ideas by chance?

There was a lot of work on the unredirecting fullscreen windows feature in the new Compiz update. I would try using the stable nVidia driver. EDIT: I'll test this with my secondary monitor.

The indicators are very annoying. One indicator crashing will kill all of them and Unity doesn't put anything useful in its logs. The only way to find out which one is crashing is to remove them all and test them one by one sad Indicator-power and indicator-session are usually the most problematic. I suggest removing those and seeing if the indicators appear again.

EDIT: The issue with the window decorations being stuck on Adwaita is a known problem with this Compiz release. It may require patches to other packages.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-09-16 20:25:29)

#995 2012-09-16 20:27:55

chenxiaolong

pekmop1024 wrote:

[ 87%] Building CXX object plugins/unityshell/CMakeFiles/unityshell.dir/__/__/generated/unityshell_options.cpp.o
CMakeFiles/unityshell.dir/src/unitya11y.cpp.o: In function `a11y_invoke_module(char const*)':
unitya11y.cpp:(.text+0x26a): undefined reference to `g_module_open'
unitya11y.cpp:(.text+0x27d): undefined reference to `g_module_error'
unitya11y.cpp:(.text+0x2c9): undefined reference to `g_module_symbol'
unitya11y.cpp:(.text+0x30c): undefined reference to `g_module_close'
    Aborting...

Unity fails to build on clean system... dependency problem?

Crap, I fixed this for Fedora and openSUSE, but forgot to fix it for Arch smile

EDIT: Fixed in commit: 5e18f53276c1122b9b1f408e36c36790eb487565

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-09-16 20:28:20)

#996 2012-09-16 20:31:03

oddfox
Website

This bug here https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+bug/1050749 seems to be describing a similar situation that I'm experiencing.  I am currently downgrading my nvidia and nvidia-utils packages, will post an update when I reboot and retry the unredirect option.

EDIT:  Same problem with the stable Nvidia drivers, massive flickering on both monitors.  Oh and also, the indicators are back and working, yay!

Last edited by oddfox (2012-09-16 20:40:40)

#997 2012-09-16 20:45:53

pekmop1024
Website

chenxiaolong wrote:

Crap, I fixed this for Fedora and openSUSE, but forgot to fix it for Arch smile

EDIT: Fixed in commit: 5e18f53276c1122b9b1f408e36c36790eb487565

Thanks, builds fine now smile

#998 2012-09-16 21:10:12

slovdahl

Now I'm trying in a clean VM, but I'm unable to build unity. First I got the same error message as pekmop1024, but after I applied the fix I'm still unable to build it.

[ 86%] Building CXX object plugins/unityshell/CMakeFiles/unityshell.dir/src/unity-panel-view-accessible.cpp.o
[ 86%] Building CXX object plugins/unityshell/CMakeFiles/unityshell.dir/src/inputremover.cpp.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object plugins/unityshell/CMakeFiles/unityshell.dir/src/unity-switcher-accessible.cpp.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object plugins/unityshell/CMakeFiles/unityshell.dir/src/unity-quicklist-accessible.cpp.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object plugins/unityshell/CMakeFiles/unityshell.dir/src/unitya11ytests.cpp.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object plugins/unityshell/CMakeFiles/unityshell.dir/src/unity-quicklist-menu-accessible.cpp.o
../../unity-shared/libunity-shared.a(ThumbnailGenerator.cpp.o): In function `unity::ThumbnailGeneratorImpl::GetThumbnail(std::string const&, int)::{lambda()#1}::operator()() const':
ThumbnailGenerator.cpp:(.text+0x4a5): undefined reference to `pthread_create'
../../unity-shared/libunity-shared.a(ThumbnailGenerator.cpp.o): In function `unity::ThumbnailGeneratorImpl::DoCleanup()':
ThumbnailGenerator.cpp:(.text+0x140c): undefined reference to `pthread_create'
../../unity-shared/libunity-shared.a(ThumbnailGenerator.cpp.o): In function `unity::ThumbnailGeneratorImpl::~ThumbnailGeneratorImpl()':
ThumbnailGenerator.cpp:(.text._ZN5unity22ThumbnailGeneratorImplD2Ev[_ZN5unity22ThumbnailGeneratorImplD5Ev]+0x1e): undefined reference to `pthread_join'
    Aborting...

#999 2012-09-16 21:13:22

pekmop1024
Website

Try to add to PKGBUILD:

LDFLAGS=-lpthread

#1000 2012-09-16 21:18:49

BKLive

Okay now I have window decorations from the compiz update, but now no items in my panel. the black background is there, but I'm unsure how to change the theme from doing this.

I'm checking out extensions.gnome.org for the missing panel options. Back soon!

EDIT: Fixed the bar by resetting compiz via the README. fixed the system tray by doing this:

$ gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['all']"

Unity running, and running well!

Last edited by BKLive (2012-09-16 23:12:55)

Board footer