You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-20 10:53:50

nanawel
Website

[Gnome-shell] Desktop freezes when Samba shares become unavailable

Hi,

I'm experiencing a very annoying problem on the laptop I use at work. I'm using an up-to-date Arch with Gnome-shell and we have a bunch of network shares on several servers.
I access them via Nautilus and everything's fine as long as I don't unplug the cable. If I do that while Samba shares are mounted in Nautilus (through GVFS), the entire desktop freezes and I have to restart GDM to get it back (but all applications are killed and that's not cool).

I also realized that when I mount a Samba share I'm accessing through a personal VPN (so, through the Internet), the entire desktop becomes slow and choppy. If I transfer a file to the remote folder using Samba over this VPN, I cannot do anything until the transfer is finished. During this time the desktop is freezed. But after that I get it back and it's working again (but is still slow as long as I keep the share folder mounted).

When I unmount the "slow" Samba shared folder, everything works perfectly.

Why is Gnome so dependent on such thing as a simple mounted shared folder? Is there a way to prevent this behaviour?

Thanks in advance

#2 2012-09-20 13:24:02

bwat47

Re: [Gnome-shell] Desktop freezes when Samba shares become unavailable

I use gnome-shell and mount samba shares often, I don't have any of those issues. If I lose my connection while the share is mounted the desktop continues to work fine. If I click on an unavailable share in nautilus the desktop and nautilus remains responsive, and nautilus tells me it couldn't retrieve the share list after a minute. The only time I've seen anything like this happen on my computer is when I tried to access an unavailable samba share via the gnome-shell places menu extension, which froze the shell for a minute (but not the whole desktop). I've never seen freezing behavior like that through nautilus. So afiak gnome isn't "dependent" on the mounted share.

Last edited by bwat47 (2012-09-20 13:26:13)

#3 2012-09-21 11:59:01

nanawel
Website

Well, that's strange.

When I first read your answer I thought about 2 extensions I'm using: Places Status Indicator and Removable Drive Menu. Both are linked to the Samba shares in some way so I tried to disable them and restart my DE.
But I got a freeze again a moment after (this time without no apparent link to mounted shares in Nautilus) and I had to restart GDM once again.

So after all, I have no idea why I get this behaviour with Samba shares, but what is sure is that Gnome-Shell is sometimes unstable and crashes the whole desktop. Fortunately, it only happens once or twice a day which is "acceptable". I keep on investigating on this...

Thanks

#4 2012-11-20 23:06:56

bmanuel

Hi nanawel, i've a very similar problem to your on my home machine: this (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1196319) is the thread i found when researching my problem, so i started investigating it and then discovered the samba shares problem, so i found out your problem when looking up for similar annoyances in Google.
Have you been able to track it down?

As i said in the other thread, i don't have installed any of those gnome-shell extensions, but i have the TweakTool->Desktop option named "Show mounted volumes on the desktop" enabled, as well as an entry in my /etc/fstab file: tomorrow i'm going to have some tries with my brother's pc and see if i can find out something more.. i'll keep posting on this thread then, since it looks like my problem is very very similar.. hopefully we'll be able to track it down this beast.

But also, I'm also experiencing that "slow network share/choppy desktop" on my work machine only: it looked like a FUSE issue, but could never debug that since i've a quite important deadline at work and can't start debugging my OS during working hours smile
Anatolik was kind enough to chime in and suggest to debug it (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1193437), this is the thread about it.

#5 2012-12-22 14:05:03

bmanuel

I'm still experiencing this, just connecting to a WinXP machine via nautilus, if the machine became unreachable then my machine's gnome shell will hang, need to restart gdm or reboot.
Anyone with a solution for this?

#6 2012-12-22 15:29:28

teateawhy
Website

What happens if you use the mount command instead of automounting or graphical programs?
man 8 mount.cifs

#7 2012-12-22 16:46:13

bmanuel

teateawhy wrote:

What happens if you use the mount command instead of automounting or graphical programs?
man 8 mount.cifs

I got the same problem the other day exactly by "mount.cifs" and an fstab entry with "..,noauto,soft,.." to let's non-root users to mount it.

#8 2013-01-21 21:44:24

bmanuel

I'm still plagued by this: as soon as any samba share is unreachable gnome shell freeze, anyone ever come up with a solution for this?

#9 2013-02-16 11:46:47

bmanuel

The problem is still there, but i found out how to manage to unfreeze gnome-shell: CTRL+ALT+F2/F3 and switch to another TTY, then

sudo fusermount -zu <mount_point>

I wonder why Nautilus can't do that on its own whenever a machine is not reachable anymore...

#10 2013-11-15 09:52:14

ryzion

I'm having the same problem with i3. Have you solved the issue?

#11 2013-11-15 09:58:19

bmanuel

@ryzion, i never fully solved it on my own, but this has been probably solved upstream with the gvfs that came with the new gnome-shell since i'm not seeing this problem anymore since shell 3.10 came out. Sorry for not being of any more help for you..

#12 2015-09-02 21:00:45

bendavis78

I have this same issue. 2 years later and still no fix :-(

#13 2015-09-03 00:36:24

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

bendavis78, please leave the dead to rest in peace: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … bumping.22

Closing.

Board footer