You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-03 09:05:17

cliff99

Gigabyte Marvell sk98lin driver very SLOW------

Hello,

I have been using mainly debian based distros and all have been working to my ADSL capacity about 160KB download when updating packages etc.

With ARCH it seems I get if I am lucky about 20K but varies wildly.Is this a driver problem, config problem or slow servers?

Are there Arch mirrors that may be quicker?
Sydney Australia?

I am really getting to like the Arch experience and solved a few problems by running Archie and working out why it would work and Arch wouldn't.

Still have no sound? SBlive value card.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cliff

#2 2005-10-03 11:24:54

Beavis

Re: Gigabyte Marvell sk98lin driver very SLOW------

Hi,

Not sure why your downloads are so slow but all I can suggest is to try using the skge module instead of sk98lin. This module is available in kernel 2.6.13.2 but not too sure about earlier kernel versions. The skge module is a newer version of sk98lin and is supposed to offer better performance but does lack some of the features of the sk98lin module.

If you look in /etc/pacman.d/ you will find a number of files with each containing links to different Arch mirrors, just modify each file in turn by moving your closest mirror to the top of the list.

I run a SBlive card too and I set it up using this article in the wiki, http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ALSA_Setup

#3 2005-10-03 12:21:54

cliff99

Beavis wrote:

Hi,

Not sure why your downloads are so slow but all I can suggest is to try using the skge module instead of sk98lin. This module is available in kernel 2.6.13.2 but not too sure about earlier kernel versions. The skge module is a newer version of sk98lin and is supposed to offer better performance but does lack some of the features of the sk98lin module.

If you look in /etc/pacman.d/ you will find a number of files with each containing links to different Arch mirrors, just modify each file in turn by moving your closest mirror to the top of the list.

I run a SBlive card too and I set it up using this article in the wiki, http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ALSA_Setup

I might give that a try thanks for the quick reply.I don't know why it is so slow when the other distros are ok.Kanotix is my current main distro great hardware support.
I guess it is a silly question but what is the best way to upgrade the kernel 'using pacman'?  pacman -S kernel ?
Thanks for the info on the mirrors couldn't find it anywhere.

Cliff

#4 2005-10-03 12:47:45

Beavis

Try pacman -Sy to Download  a  fresh  copy of the master package list, then do pacman -S kernel26 which should update you to the latest version. If your  using a scsi system then then you probably want kernel26-scsi instead. To be absolutely sure you can do a pacman -Q | less and scroll down until you see kernel? then you'll know for sure which kernel your using. There's probably a quicker way to do this but don't of any yet as i'm still quite a noob at linux even though i've been using it for about three years now   smile

#5 2005-10-03 14:12:25

ozar

Gigabyte Marvell sk98lin is working just fine here, but I did have to edit the order of the mirrors in /etc/pacman.d to get decent speeds.

oz

#6 2005-10-03 20:49:10

cliff99

ozar wrote:

Gigabyte Marvell sk98lin is working just fine here, but I did have to edit the order of the mirrors in /etc/pacman.d to get decent speeds.

That fixed it thanks didn't think it could be the driver . Good speed from Australian HTTP

thanks again,
Cliff

Board footer