You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-21 14:48:45

pcninja

Arch-based distro

Ok, hopefully this is the right place to pose such a question but anyway...here we go...

I have a few months before I ship out to college (computer science major) and I am going to spend my last bit of free time creating a Linux distribution. I had thought about just doing a LFS project but, I really like how arch works and If some thing's not broke, why try and fix it? Can someone point me in the direction I need to go to build an arch-derivative? I am willing to take the time and make something for the community but I need to know where to start..if anyone can just give me somewhere to start and some info I'd greatly appreciate it.

"In a world without wall and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"
--------------------------------                                   **************                                    --------------------------------
Dell Inspiron 1440 & custom PC: CPU: AMD FX-6100@ 4.4ghz, 8GB RAM, GPU Sapphire AMD HD6950 2GB OC'd

#2 2012-09-21 14:58:35

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch-based distro

If you are serious about this I'd propose you try LFS first just to get the real feel of it. This will greatly help in understanding the intrinsics of an Arch system -- and the time you need to spend creating a derivative system (for what cause whatsever) and keeping it up to date.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#3 2012-09-21 15:05:04

pcninja

Well, I am definitely serious. I want to make something that might be as popular as arch someday, but maybe you're right, I'll just stick with LFS for now.

--------------------------------                                   **************                                    --------------------------------
Dell Inspiron 1440 & custom PC: CPU: AMD FX-6100@ 4.4ghz, 8GB RAM, GPU Sapphire AMD HD6950 2GB OC'd

#4 2012-09-21 15:12:52

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I haven't used LFS, but think about what you like about Arch.

Do you like Pacman+makepkg? Why not compile and install that on LFS, then repackage everything on your system into pacman packages? Then take it from there.

Honestly, it sounds like reinventing the wheel to me, but it could be a good learning exercise for you.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2012-09-21 15:18:51

pcninja

I like how I can install only what I want...that is my favorite part, being in far more control than say with Ubuntu.
I want to make something like Arch where you have that ability, but I want to make it a bit more user friendly like having a simpler install method.

I don't see it as reinventing the wheel, just taking it that one step further.

#6 2012-09-21 15:29:43

lifeafter2am

I would also recommend LFS. It was probably the single best learning experience in my time using Linux. You will understand much more of the internals, which will enable you to build your own distro.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#7 2012-09-21 15:29:48

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

pcninja wrote:

but I want to make it a bit more user friendly like having a simpler install method.

see Archbang !

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2012-09-21 15:49:33

pcninja

I know about Archbang but see, I want something of my own, something I made. Like I said..I'm going with LFS

#9 2012-09-21 16:03:44

tomk
Forum Fellow

pcninja wrote:

I want to make it a bit more user friendly like having a simpler install method.

I'm curious here - apart from the installer, what else about Arch needs to be "simpler", in your opinion?

#10 2012-09-21 16:10:20

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps you would also be interested in modifying archlinux to your liking by using isomaster package to allow you to create what you want from the arch .iso and recreate an .iso of your new arrangement.  This exercise will provide insight into the making of a distro.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#11 2012-09-21 16:14:16

pcninja

tomk wrote:
pcninja wrote:

I want to make it a bit more user friendly like having a simpler install method.

I'm curious here - apart from the installer, what else about Arch needs to be "simpler", in your opinion?

Arch is simple in one way but I mean like make something extremely customizable and something you can have control over without being as advanced as arch. For more intermediate users. It took me a lot of reading and learning before I could get through a full arch install and then how to use arch. By simple I mean easier to use.

And nice to see someone else in Ireland, I live in waterford smile

#12 2012-09-21 16:15:58

pcninja

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps you would also be interested in modifying archlinux to your liking by using isomaster package to allow you to create what you want from the arch .iso and recreate an .iso of your new arrangement.  This exercise will provide insight into the making of a distro.

I'll have to check that out, thanks!

#13 2012-09-21 16:22:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

Alright, I guess you need to put a bit more thought into it. I asked because I've often seen people say the arch install process is too hard, so that's predictable enough. I was just wondering if you had specific examples of other aspects of arch that needed the kind of simplification you're talking about. Or is it just a general concept at the moment? "let's just put a GUI on everything"?

#14 2012-09-21 16:41:23

pcninja

It's not that I find it too hard really..it just takes time and you need to know EXACTLY what you are doing. I'm not necessarily wanting GUI on everything but I want to make something that works out of the box, is a bit less of a challenge to install, and has some good software and looks how I like. I know there are so many distros out there, but I want to make something of my own, something a little bit different that people might enjoy and use.

#15 2012-09-21 17:24:08

Awebb

Here you go: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archiso
Then just add an install script and done is your work. You might also want to check up on custom repos, if you need to add something custom. In the end it comes down to create a bootable image and add an install script. You probably will not learn much in the process, though. LSF might be the better teacher.

On the other hand: You'll be sitting in front of magic boxes for the rest of your life, why not spend the last months as a free human being with something worthwhile?

#16 2012-09-21 18:12:29

pcninja

Thanks for the info.

And I get what you're saying..and I am. But if you knew my situation, you;d understand why I need something like this to do

Board footer