You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-28 14:23:01

danns
Website

[SOLVED] XFCE 4 mouse stops working, hot plugging brings it

I've been running XFCE4 for about 3 months now on this laptop without problem. About 3 weeks ago the mouse suddenly stopped working. Being USB I tried hot plugging it and that fixed it. But the issue kept happening with more frequency. I'm on a laptop that is in a docking station at work. I moved the mouse from the docking station port to the laptop port to make it easier to hot plug. About a week ago it locked and would not return on a hot plug. I tried plugging into the docking station and that fixed it. But, it happened again and moving between the laptop or docking station usb ports made no difference. I had to drop out of XFCE to fix it.

Switching to console one I did start noticing some thunar-volman error indicating "thunar-volman unsupported usb input device type." I followed some instructions about --ck-launch and this is my line in .xinitrc:

exec startxfce4 --with-ck-launch

I see a lot of issues with USB storage devices but I've yet to find anything about mouse or input issues in my searches (of course now that I make this post I am sure there will be lots readily avaiable). Since I am in a docking station and the laptop is closed I don't believe this has had an impact on the touchpad.

When not in a docking station I typically use Fluxbox. I do not see an issue in Fluxbox so I suspect that it must have something to do with XFCE4.

I'm soliciting any thoughts at what else I can be looking at to fix this problem.

Note, I have a co-worker who is using Fedora and Gnome 3. He's been experiencing similar problems, and those started about 2 weeks before mine. I do keep my system up to date checking for upgrades at least once a week.

Last edited by danns (2012-10-08 14:32:25)

#2 2012-09-28 15:13:51

danns
Website

Re: [SOLVED] XFCE 4 mouse stops working, hot plugging brings it

This may not be XFCE4 related after all:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1167828

#3 2012-09-28 15:23:44

WonderWoofy

You know that trying to hijack the thread you linked to is not very awesome.  It might have been better to state you have similar problems, or *anything* that might appear as an attempt to help the OP, and then link back to here asking for input on your similar issue.

Does this happen with all mouses/mice?  Pointing devices in general?

#4 2012-09-28 15:29:23

danns
Website

My intent was not to hijack that thread. Based upon the information there I was adding my experience to the problem. If I had a solution then I would have posted it there and here.

I have tried different mice and have experienced the problem. I have not noticed the issue in Fluxbux but then again most of the time I am in Fluxbox I use the trackpad which I have not experienced the same problem.

#5 2012-09-28 15:40:03

natestar13

@danns In the output you put in the other forum post you linked to, it mentions that the mouse is a low speed device.  Have you tried using ohci_hcd module?

Also, there was a message from mtp-probe stating that it tried to access the device.  Do you have this mouse set in your udev rules as a mtp device?  It definitely should not be in there.

Last edited by natestar13 (2012-09-28 15:41:29)

Machine:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M92 (M3209) - Inte i7-3770 CPU

#6 2012-09-28 15:56:07

danns
Website

If I unload the ehci_hcd module and load in the ohci_hcd modules the mouse stops working (so does the keyboard which is also usb). Even with ohci_hcd loaded along with ehci_hcd the mouse always uses the ehci_hcd module. 

I don't have any customized udev rules, just what comes with the package. Looking through the rules I don't see anything applied specifically to the vendor and product id:

Vendor 046d
Product c016

#7 2012-09-28 15:58:57

natestar13

Have you tried stopping whatever MTP service is running when you have this mouse issue?  You could also trying uninstalling libmtp for the time being to make sure that is not what the issue is

#8 2012-09-28 16:08:42

danns
Website

Thanks natestar13, I am have removed libmtp (was used by calibre and bansee but neither of those were running). I will see if the problem continues. I notice when I hotplug the mouse  now I don't get the MTP device warning.

#9 2012-10-01 15:33:06

danns
Website

Well I was hoping this would have solved the problem and for a good 2 hours this morning I was optimistic, but then it happened again. In the span of about 5 minutes it froze 6 times requiring me to hotplug the mouse.

On console 1 I am seeing this:

Thunar-volman: unsupported usb device type
Thunar-volman: unsupported input device type
Thunar-volman: unsupported usb device type

#10 2012-10-01 18:09:20

natestar13

Have you read through the Thunar wiki?  In your original post, you mentioned adding the following:

which is incorrect, or at least from looking at the wiki.  You should also include "dbus-launch" and have startxfce4 as the last argument.

Since this seems to be an issue directly related to thunar in xfce, can you list any packages you have installed related to thunar?  You can get a list by typing:

pacman -Q | grep -i *thunar*

#11 2012-10-02 18:53:40

danns
Website

It seems what is in the Thunar wiki is at odds with what is in the Xfce4 wiki with regards to starting Xfce4 from .xinitrc:

thunar wiki wrote:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch <your wm>

xfce4 wiki wrote:

To be fair the Thunar wiki does say to see the entry for your WM/DE.

According to the Xfce4 wiki dbus-launch is now handled by the inclusion of the xinitrc.d code if you copy the default /etc/skel/.xinitrc file to begin with.

I switched over to using fluxbox this morning to see if the problem would occur. I managed to get through until 2 P.M. until the problem occurred. I thought I saw some hesitancy prior a bit throughout the morning as if the mouse was not registering the move because of the surface it was on but it did not stop.

When the mouse stopped functioning there was nothing I could see in the logs and, since I was not running Thunar or XFCE4, there was no Thunar message on console one. When the problem did start it seemed to happen three times within a few minutes too.

I guess it is something I will have to keep digging into. Maybe I will try a new mouse.

To answer your question:

thunar 1.4.0-2
thunar-archive-plugin 0.3.0-2
thunar-media-tags-plugin 0.2.0-2
thunar-volman 0.8.0-1

Interestingly I just had it happen again and when I switched over to Console One I saw this:

QDBusConnection: Session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

But this message does not come up each time the mouse is lost, so I am not sure it is related. Furthermore, just the act of switching to the console and back revived the mouse.

Thanks for you help, it is appreciated.

#12 2012-10-08 14:30:53

danns
Website

Ok I must humbly submit my apologies as this must have been an issue with the mouse, unless some update did fix something. I switched to a different mouse and the problem seems to have disappeared. Only I had used this other mouse in the past and could have sworn I had the same issues. I carry this mouse with me to use when I am not docked at work. I had used this mouse for about a week and I was sure I had noticed the problems. Now when using it, it's fine. This "new" mouse is even older than the original mouse I was using so I don't think it is a usb 1 issue.

They came around and gave me a third mouse, I may try that for a while just to be sure this is an issue with the original mouse I was using. I will consider this closed but if the problem crops up with this third mouse I will re-investigate.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Last edited by danns (2012-10-08 14:33:02)

#13 2012-10-08 14:35:09

WonderWoofy

danns wrote:

I have tried different mice and have experienced the problem.

So what was this?

Board footer