You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-02 21:09:02

HuckleSmothered

[SOLVED] Custom Copy & Paste Keyboard Shortcuts in Gnome3

I'm looking for a way to make custom keyboard shortcuts in for the copy and paste functions. Specifically, I want F1 to be Copy. F2 to be Paste.

(In the future, I'd love to be able to do more, like Find, Cut, adding in frequently used text phrases via one keyboard combo ... in ANY application.)

Why? Because I use a different keyboard layout, Dvorak. I'm sure other layouts have similar problems. The Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V are all of a sudden two handed operations. Slows me down. I need a non-mouse (I'm aware of the middle-click option), one handed operation solution.

There's a solution I found for Windows, AutoHotkey. Lets me do this. No Linux alternative as far as I was able to find. The options in the System Settings for Keyboard shortcuts do not include the Copy, Paste, etc functions. I also tried xclip. Works for copy. Just not paste. I can't get it to paste into any X app. I've used every variation of xclip -o I could. It appears that xclip isn't made for this. Nor do any of the other clipboard-like packages appear to be for it either.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by HuckleSmothered (2013-01-15 13:29:06)

#2 2012-10-02 21:11:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Custom Copy & Paste Keyboard Shortcuts in Gnome3

a combination of xbindkeys & parcellite/or any other clipboard manager could do that.

also, it can be ported to any other DE/WM without issues

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2012-10-03 02:35:07

HuckleSmothered

I'm playing with xbindkeys right now. Not seeing how it is much/any different from the basic gnome3 custom keyboard shortcut features. The copying is working with the binding, but the paste won't.

Am I doing something wrong with it, or is it truly not possible?

#4 2012-10-06 14:12:46

HuckleSmothered

Found a solution!

xdotool

Nothing else needed. I just set up custom keyboard shortcuts in the Gnome3 system settings that utilize this command. "xdotool key ctrl+v" will paste. I have that set to F2. "xdotool key ctrl+c" set to F1.

It can type preset text as well, which I use a lot at work (not so much at home). " xdotool type "Hello world!" "

#5 2013-01-15 10:46:36

trangius

Ah, this is awsome. I've been searching the web for an hour or so and here the solution was! Thank you HuckleSmothered! smile

Board footer