You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-03 20:49:20

synthead

4-core server running multiple headless VirtualBox instances: slow?

Like title, I have a VM server that hosts about 15-ish VMs, and when about ~5 of them are running and I do something major on one of them (like compile software), the server gets excruciatingly slow.  The SSH console even takes ~15s to respond to keyboard input, for example.  How can I fix this?  Shouldn't the kernel's scheduler manage the individual processes of the VMs and prevent this?

#2 2012-10-03 21:20:19

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: 4-core server running multiple headless VirtualBox instances: slow?

Is it too simplistic to think that the ratio you're using, 4:1 (virtual:physical) is simply too rich given the cost of running the virtualization itself requires some overhead?  Do you grind to a slow pace is you're running say 4 VMs and load up one?  If so, where is the choke point?  6? 7? Etc.

Last edited by graysky (2012-10-03 21:20:52)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2012-10-03 23:48:33

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: 4-core server running multiple headless VirtualBox instances: slow?

How much RAM is allocated to each VM? If (for example) you have 4GB of RAM (you probably have more) and you start running each with 800+ MB of RAM, you'd hit swap REALLY quickly.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer