You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-10 00:48:55

minty33

[SOLVED]fix bootloader after install

I just installed arch on /dev/sda3 because I have mint on sda2 and swap on sda1.  That said I thought I could skip all the boot loader steps and just run update-grub from mint and have it find the arch install that way.  Needless to say since I'm writing this it didn't work.  Why can't I just point that grub already in MBR to the arch vmlinuz or initrd images.  If not can I add the boot loader by going back to live install remount /Dev/sda3 on /mnt then chroot and pick up from the first step of installing boot loader. 

One last question.  Since this is a diy distro will my swap be detected by the /etc/fstab automatically?  as I noticed no step to point towards what partition to use for swap in the guide.

Last edited by minty33 (2012-10-10 23:53:28)

#2 2012-10-10 01:18:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED]fix bootloader after install

I mostly wanted to chime in on the swap question: you can check whether genfstab detected the swap partition - it might have.  Otherwise you can add it to /etc/fstab yourself.

As for the boot loader, I don't use grub, but I suspect the kernel and initrd will need to be on the same partition as the bootloader.  If they aren't, you may have to chainload.  However, others will probably know better than me about this.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-10-10 01:28:22

minty33

Update. I ran os-prober and it saw arch then I did update-grub and now I can choose arch at boot.  The problem now is shortly after It says booting kernel it just goes to a blank screen.  There is an error next to booting kernel that says something to the effect of "unsupportd PM caps regs version(7)".  Also last line before it goes blank says "waiting for udev events  to be processed"?

Now oddly enough it went to login after like 10 tries while I was trying to read errors before it went blank.  Don't know why it worked this time I changed nothing but the same errors were on the screen
Now I rebooted and blank screen again. No login.

Anyone have a guess as to the issue.  Its hard for me to give all the lines as its trying to boot.  They are only on the screen for a couple seconds

#4 2012-10-10 04:25:50

WonderWoofy

Okay, well this should be marked as solved by editing the first post and appending [Solved] to the title.  BTW, append means add to the beginning, it seems like a fifth of the time I tell people to do this, they put it at the end. 

I think that the problem you are now having is not even remotely related to the original topic, so please start a new thread if you don't figure this out.  (Black screen can be a KMS issue with intel cards)

#5 2012-10-10 11:00:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

<pedantic>
Actually append does mean to add it to the end.  We should actually be telling users to prepend [SOLVED]
</pedantic>

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2012-10-10 12:23:31

karol
Archivist

Trilby wrote:

<pedantic>
Actually append does mean to add it to the end.  We should actually be telling users to prepend [SOLVED]
</pedantic>

We do https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

#7 2012-10-10 15:08:18

WonderWoofy

I guess you are right Trilby.  Kinda feel like a moron now.  Thanks for letting me know. 

Now that I think about it though, it really is pretty obvious "pre-" being before... silly me...

Board footer