You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-13 00:13:55

T.J.S.

New Intel 6200 and iwlwifi problem.

So I bought a new wireless card for my laptop (intel 6200) from e-bay, but it doesn't seem to work in the arch linux live media. The wlan0 interface is off, and of course I can't connect to any AP.
The message I get is like this (when the iwlwifi is loaded): "Unsupported (too old) EEPROM".
So I searched and I found out that it may be due to some fake/non-retail product reason, and apparently there's only some hack I could do to make it work in the system (don't know exactly what that is - I found some code about another card, but with the same symptoms). And this is rather disappointing, since the e-bay seller had a 99.9% profile and stated that it was a genuine intel product.

If anyone could tell me for certain that there's nothing I could do to make it work, or had any experience with a similar problem, I would appreciate a response.

Note that the card works ok in Windows.

#2 2012-10-13 00:17:47

WonderWoofy

Re: New Intel 6200 and iwlwifi problem.

Send it back to the seller?  If it really is fake, I would assume that you could probably convince the seller that (s)he needs to take it back.  Especially if that person cares about their 99.9% satisfaction rating.

Also, what model of computer do you have?  You say it works in windows, so it is probably not this, but there are some systems that do not allow 3rd party cards to function in their machines.  Off the top of my head, Lenovo and HP are guilty of this.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2012-10-13 00:19:20)

#3 2012-10-13 05:19:01

T.J.S.

Re: New Intel 6200 and iwlwifi problem.

I've already sent a message to the seller to ask him about sending it back.
I don't know if "fake" is the right word, and it's not just Linux being picky about it.

My laptop is a Clevo P150HM, it doesn't have any blacklist on any hardware as far as I know.

Board footer