You are not logged in.

#26 2012-10-14 01:55:23

kalski

Re: Using netcfg for an Ad-Hoc network

Hi guys,

While trying to create an ad-hoc netcfg profile I found out this thread as well. Unfortunately I couldn't run with any of the advices above(probably the netcfg changed a lot) so I had to debug myself the network profile startup. Eventually I managed to get the profile started. Here is what I did:

1) I added the NETCFG_DEBUG=1 setting to my profile so I could get a clue what exactly failed my profile startup
2) after reading carefully in the /usr/lib/network/* stuff I found out these two interesting settings which I added to my profile: ADHOC=1 and WPA_DRIVER=wext
Since netcfg uses for wireless connections entirely wpa_supplicant the ADHOC variable serves to tell the wpa_supplicant config file build script to use adhoc mode(even when wpa is not involved at all). This is mode=1 in the network section of wpa_supplicant config. The second one, WPA_DRIVER, is probably specific to my case - it seemed that default setting for this driver didn't work out for my ad-hoc profile. The interesting part is I am able to use wireless access point profile without specifying this setting.

So to conclude - even though netcfg changed and the ad-hoc implementation seems possible without any change of the /usr/lib/network/* scripts I would really appreciate more documentation regarding the setting which can be used in the network profiles.

If anybody can put the info regarding these variables in the wiki I would be very thankful wink

#27 2012-10-14 02:00:49

kalski

For completeness I am adding the whole profile I have:

CONNECTION='wireless'
DESCRIPTION='Automatically generated profile by wifi-menu tweaked a little bit to enable ad-hoc operation'
INTERFACE='wlan0'
SECURITY='wep'  
ESSID=kalski_mobile_router
IP='dhcp'
KEY=1234567890
NETCFG_DEBUG=1
ADHOC=1
WPA_DRIVER=wext
DHCP_TIMEOUT=30

I added DHCP_TIMEOUT setting just to make sure dhcp won't fail due to slow DHCP communication

#28 2012-10-14 02:11:39

WonderWoofy

I would suggest starting a new thread rather than necro-bumping an old one.

#29 2012-10-14 02:17:23

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#30 2012-10-14 02:18:03

ewaller
Administrator

Closed.  WonderWoofy hit it on the head.  A two year old thread is not a good base for continuing this thread.  Feel free to start a new thread;  If you think this thread is appropriate, then link back to it.

Thanks.

Edit:  Never mind.  Good Evening Jason smile

Last edited by ewaller (2012-10-14 02:18:41)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer