You are not logged in.

#176 2012-08-08 20:25:31

JinBlack

Re: The Humble Indie Bundle V

quantumphaze wrote:
brotatos wrote:

I'm experiencing this weird bug in psychonauts where the protagonist is constantly running a little bit to the left. For some reason, the menus also autoscroll. Anyone know how to fix this?

Do you have a Microsoft keyboard(/mouse combo)? The bloody things show up as a joystick to implement some of those extra non-standard buttons. Some models do this even if they don't have them. My one only has volume, mute and play/pause. Both give standard XF86 key codes with xev yet it still makes a js0 device.

Your options are to either:

• Create a udev rule (recommended but I can't get this working for myself)

• Blacklist the joydev module

• rm /dev/input/js0

• Unplug the keyboard, run the game, then plug it back in

Just remove joydev module worked for me. wink

#177 2012-10-11 18:56:53

flan_suse

brotatos wrote:

When I play Bastion and go to any shop, the items automatically scroll so I can't pick a weapon. I have to time it and am hardly successful. Any fixes for this?

I've already downloaded the latest bastion version too:

Version        : 3-2

Same problem. I can't find a solution anywhere. It appears to affect certain menus, such as when trying to adjust the music volume, brightness, and look through your artifacts. It just scrolls super fast! The game is unplayable because of this bug.

Intel HD 4000, here.

Graphics are fairly smooth, and I'm playing on 1920 x 1080. The problem is not performance. The problem is the menu bug where it scrolls super fast in an endless loop.

#178 2012-10-12 00:41:35

flan_suse

Just an update to my previous post about the "scrolling" bug in Bastion's menus...

I got it working properly by having my USB devices unplugged before launching the game. It's most important to at least have my mouse unplugged. After the game loads, I plug my mouse back in and everything works fine. This is a real pain in the butt for me, since I have a nano wireless receiver that is hard to unplug from my laptop!

To verify, you can launch Bastion from the terminal and observe the output.

Number of joysticks: 0 means I will not have any issues.
Number of joysticks: 1 means I will suffer from the scrolling bug.

Hope this helps out. It's a strange bug, and apparently it can also affect Mac and Windows users too.

Last edited by flan_suse (2012-10-12 00:41:55)

#179 2012-10-14 15:51:26

flan_suse

I made a script that automatically powers off the USB port that houses my wireless mouse nano receiver before launching Bastion. This also solves the problem for me without having to physically unplug anything. You need to replace 1-1.2 with your USB port. You can find yours with a combination of "lsusb -v" and "lsusb -t".

#!/bin/bash

# Power off the USB port
echo '1-1.2' | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind

# Launch Bastion 
/usr/local/games/Bastion/Bastion.bin.x86_64 &

# Wait 3 seconds before powering on the USB port again
sleep 3

# Power on the USB port
echo '1-1.2' | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/bind

exit 0

The script is run from a custom directory under /opt. As you can see I made it executable:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root /opt/bastion-mouse/bastion-mouse-fix-launcher

I modified the .desktop menu launcher to run this command:

/opt/bastion-mouse/bastion-mouse-fix-launcher

I modified the /etc/sudoers file (visudo) to allow this particular script to launch without requiring a password. In this case, the executable /usr/bin/tee is required to run without a password. Replace "flan_suse" with your own username:

# Allow /usr/bin/tee without the password prompt; workaround for /opt/bastion-mouse/bastion-mouse-fix-launcher
%flan_suse ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/tee

Now I can launch Bastion from the menu, like any other application, without the scrolling bug and without having to unplug my mouse first.

I'm sure there's a cleaner way to do this, but I didn't feel like taking too long with the details, since I just want to have fun and play the game.

Last edited by flan_suse (2012-10-15 00:07:54)

#180 2012-10-15 00:16:44

flan_suse

Wow. Another update to my above post. I hadn't realized that the issue with Psychonauts has the same solution as Bastion. All that needs to be done is to remove / blacklist the joydev module as JinBlack explained in this post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 9#p1143679

Oh well. I'll just leave my instructions up for the sake of alternatives.

#181 2012-11-26 13:15:50

Natanji

isaacaggrey wrote:
Throne777 wrote:

& Swords & Sorcery runs fine except that I get no sound whatsoever. Which kind of defeats the point of a game which is all about the sound.

Do you have lib32-libpulse installed? I needed that package before sound finally kicked in.

I have it installed and I still don't get any sound... neither do I on a purely 32-Bit system.

Board footer