You are not logged in.

#26 2012-05-21 00:08:39

raritan01
Member
Registered: 2012-05-19
Posts: 9

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

I can't get past the Manage partitions screen. I see duplicate partition entries and cannot select the partitions. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline

#27 2012-06-17 08:24:52

spo11
Member
From: breaking your strands
Registered: 2011-02-23
Posts: 30
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

Hello; I have finally been able to install Arch on my Macbook Pro 8,2. smile I've been tearing my hair out with this for the past two weeks, and I'm glad I've finally figured out some of the issues I was running into. The Macbook wiki page, while containing some outdated content, was actually still quite useful.

Installation Notes

The most recent ISOs seem to contain a bug in which duplicate entries are shown. raritan, the user above, actually
figured out a solution here.

I personally found more success with the archboot ISO.

Boot loader installation

While I'm aware of the efibootmgr, I did not want to risk bricking my machine to use it. Instead, I opted to install grub2-efi on the EFI partition. This is detailed in the GRUB2 page; scroll down to Apple UEFI.

Note: the bless utility is the commandline version of the "Choose Startup Disk" or w/e in OS X. It is easy to revert to the default if needed be. Simply hold the option key at the boot chime and then select the OS X disk, and after logging in, select it as the startup disk.

Arch freezing on boot

On my first try booting, I found that the system just froze completely due to a number of issues: the root filesystem was not being recognized, the fallback  image failed to boot because of KMS issues with Intel and Radeon drivers, among others. TO fix these issues, I went through some trial and error and figured out that some of the other udev issues were caused by what I mentioned previously and by sdhci modules.

The output on boot went something like this:

Intel invalid ROM contents
sdhci iomem issue. You may encounter problems
blah blah blah

chroot into the installed arch system and edit /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf and add the following lines:

blacklist sdhci-pci
blacklist sdhci
blacklist mmc_core

Whilst still chrooting, also edit the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file to add ahci and libahci to the modules array:

MODULES="ahci libahci"

Disable KMS on boot by pressing e when the GRUB 2 menu shows up, and then appending "i915.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=0"  to the linux line.

Turns out you must disable KMS for the Intel and ATI GPUs at boot, blacklist the sdhci-pci & sdhci modules, and add ahci libachi to the MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Xorg: No devices detected; No screens detected

I could not get X to start even after installing xf86-video-intel.

To fix this, I uninstalled all the xf86-video-* packages I'd installed. Then I re-installed xf86-video-intel and xf86-video-fbdev, included intel_agp and i915 in the MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, rebuilt the images by running mkinitcpio -p linux, rebooted, etc.

Adjusting Screen Brightness

Installing apple_bl_gmux from the AUR still works. HOWEVER, make sure to append acpi_backlight=vendor to the linux line in the grub.cfg file. YMMV, but for me the files with which to manually set the brightness are actually in /sys/class/backlight/gmux_backlight, not in acpi_video0.

I will update the wiki page on the 8.x series when I get some other issues fixed/get sleep.

Offline

#28 2012-07-21 08:21:38

kingeve
Member
From: The Hague
Registered: 2012-07-21
Posts: 2
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

Thanks for your post. it helped me a lot.
I have the same laptop as you, and most of the errors you said are the same.

But the issue with the Xorg is not solved. I followed your options too, but no help. I also tried with other drivers such as catalyst.

i think that the boot option disabling KMS: radeon.modeset=0, i915.modeset=0 is the thing. Xorg complains that it cannot be used when KMS is disabled.
With catalyst driver(fglrx) it complains about 'no valid bios' ; that happens probably by 'switchable' setup of the video card, which normally can be fixed by BIOS setting and apple doesn't provide that.

I am quite stuck. I am wondering if my kernel is too new for this, or xorg is too new, etc.
If you could tell me what version of kernel/xorg you have installed, that will also be very helpful. Thanks!

Offline

#29 2012-07-22 13:40:14

kingeve
Member
From: The Hague
Registered: 2012-07-21
Posts: 2
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

I have solved the issues!! (I was almost crying when I saw the first terminal although I know it sounds silly a bit! but yes)
Thanks to Spo11.

Solution point adding to Spo11;
I used Archboot instead of the official one.
Then installed the boot loader 'rEFind' instead of grub2.
The refind was installed in sda1, the EFI section on the hard drive by default. I was quite scared at the beginning by that, but it works fine with the dual booting with OSX. (I used to use rEFIt, and now I dont even need this anymore.
Important: everytime you do 'mkinitcipio -p linux' you need to copy the two img files into the boot partition. You can find the method on wiki regarding UEFI. I made a shell script for this to do automatically. Then it;s actually not so much a burden.

Then
I didn't do any upgrade but downgrade. I realized from all the researches that I have done, that the recent upgrade has made more problems regarding video drivers+xorg. (the method for the downgrading is on wiki. )
I set my pacman server into 2012/07/01. So that my system can never go after 1st of July.

Then installed all the drivers. Everything works quite well.

Offline

#30 2012-09-27 14:36:57

Tasqa
Member
Registered: 2012-04-27
Posts: 14

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

I finally managed to get arch installed on my macbook pro 15" thanks to spo11's post!

Now the first thing I want to fix is the bad battery life. I've installed all the powersaving packages that are recommended on the wiki. Results are better than first but there still is a lot of room for improvement. So I though why not turn off the radeon card. For this little trick there is something called vgaswitcheroo which I found in the Hybrid graphics page on the wiki. But it need KMS enabled for both videocards. I googled around a bit to find that a lot of bugs for the retina macbook pro have been fixed in the latest kernel RC. With kernel 3.6rc7 I've managed to boot without the modeset options. But as soon as I try to load the radeon kernel module the screen hangs. Does not matter when. during boot or init3 or just modprobing. I only manage to get X going by using the fbdev driver. Anyone got any clues how to fix this?

Offline

#31 2012-10-15 17:32:37

noisufnoc
Member
Registered: 2012-10-09
Posts: 23

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

Hey guys, I'm really having a hard time getting suspend to work on my 8,2. 

i've started rambling over on https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=150361

i think its an issue with the video, but i'm kinda guessing at this point.  systemd boots so fast that i'm just shutting it down on lid close until i can figure it all out.

Offline

#32 2012-10-16 01:51:17

GutenYe
Member
From: China
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 44
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

noisufnoc wrote:

Hey guys, I'm really having a hard time getting suspend to work on my 8,2. 

i've started rambling over on https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=150361

i think its an issue with the video, but i'm kinda guessing at this point.  systemd boots so fast that i'm just shutting it down on lid close until i can figure it all out.

Both suspend and hibernate work quite well in my Macbook Pro 8,2. Do you follow the wiki page at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … _Hibernate ?

These steps are what I did.

  // install linux-mainline
  $ pacaur -S linux-mainline
  # reboot

  // for suspend
  # systemctl suspend or close the lid   // I don't use pm-utils or s2ram

  // for hibernate
  // prepare swap and resume kernel hook, resume kernel parameters.
  # systemctl hibernate    // I don't use uswsusp

To view the log

# journalctl _PID=1 -f

Last edited by GutenYe (2012-10-16 02:01:49)


Linux, Vim, Ruby, Javascript and Go.

Offline

#33 2012-10-16 02:42:06

noisufnoc
Member
Registered: 2012-10-09
Posts: 23

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

GutenYe wrote:
noisufnoc wrote:

Hey guys, I'm really having a hard time getting suspend to work on my 8,2. 

i've started rambling over on https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=150361

i think its an issue with the video, but i'm kinda guessing at this point.  systemd boots so fast that i'm just shutting it down on lid close until i can figure it all out.

Both suspend and hibernate work quite well in my Macbook Pro 8,2. Do you follow the wiki page at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … _Hibernate ?

These steps are what I did.

  // install linux-mainline
  $ pacaur -S linux-mainline
  # reboot

  // for suspend
  # systemctl suspend or close the lid   // I don't use pm-utils or s2ram

  // for hibernate
  // prepare swap and resume kernel hook, resume kernel parameters.
  # systemctl hibernate    // I don't use uswsusp

To view the log

# journalctl _PID=1 -f

I did follow the wiki page in that link.  Right now I'm running 3.6-2 from the testing repo, since the AUR comments said it was available there.  Now it looks like they're up to 3.7 already.

I'm trying to go all systemd, however both pm-utils and systemctl suspend produce the same problem.  The computer goes to sleep fine, but when it wakes I have no video.  I can access the computer remotely (ssh) on resume.

Thanks for the tip on viewing the logs, I'll take a look tonight and see if there is anything glaring.

What video are you using?  I had planned on just using the Intel card, since it would save me battery.

Offline

#34 2012-10-16 02:57:57

GutenYe
Member
From: China
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 44
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

It's been a long time since I installed ArchLinux on my macbook, I'm not quite sure, I believe I use amd, not intel.

$ pacman -Qq | grep xf86-video
xf86-video-ati
$ grep RADEON /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[  3264.545] (II) RADEON(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
[  3264.545] (==) RADEON(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
[  3264.545] (II) RADEON(0): Pixel depth = 24 bits stored in 4 bytes (32 bpp pixmaps)
[  3264.545] (==) RADEON(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[  3264.545] (==) RADEON(0): RGB weight 888
...
$ lspci | grep VGA   
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Whistler [AMD Radeon HD 6600M Series]

Last edited by GutenYe (2012-10-16 02:59:09)


Linux, Vim, Ruby, Javascript and Go.

Offline

#35 2012-10-16 03:11:35

GutenYe
Member
From: China
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 44
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

@noisufnoc

How do you boot your ArchLinux? via grub, grub-efi, kernel uefi??

It seems you can get two video cards in `lspci`, but I only get one sad

I can find two video cards in Mac OS X. and I boot via grub 1.0

Last edited by GutenYe (2012-10-16 03:13:48)


Linux, Vim, Ruby, Javascript and Go.

Offline

#36 2012-10-16 03:23:48

noisufnoc
Member
Registered: 2012-10-09
Posts: 23

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

I am booting via uefi with refind.  lspci on my machine, booted in arch, shows both the intel and the amd card.

Perhaps I remove the intel drivers and try to use the radeon only?  Up until this point I have been trying to get things to work with intel.

Offline

#37 2012-10-16 03:32:01

noisufnoc
Member
Registered: 2012-10-09
Posts: 23

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

$ pacman -Qq | grep xf86-video
xf86-video-ati
xf86-video-fbdev
xf86-video-intel
$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series]

Offline

#38 2012-10-16 03:36:41

noisufnoc
Member
Registered: 2012-10-09
Posts: 23

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

grabbed the logs after a suspend/resume from another machine remotely, since now I have no display on the Macbook.

sudo journalctl _PID=1 -f
Logs begin at Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:29:54 -0700.
Oct 15 20:32:52 mbp-arch systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
Oct 15 20:32:52 mbp-arch systemd[1]: Starting Suspend...
Oct 15 20:33:04 mbp-arch systemd[1]: Starting Daemon for power management...
Oct 15 20:33:04 mbp-arch systemd[1]: Started Suspend.
Oct 15 20:33:04 mbp-arch systemd[1]: Service sleep.target is not needed anymore. Stopping.
Oct 15 20:33:04 mbp-arch systemd[1]: Stopping Sleep.
Oct 15 20:33:04 mbp-arch systemd[1]: Stopped target Sleep.
Oct 15 20:33:04 mbp-arch systemd[1]: Starting Suspend.
Oct 15 20:33:04 mbp-arch systemd[1]: Reached target Suspend.
Oct 15 20:33:04 mbp-arch systemd[1]: Started Daemon for power management.

aaaand my refind config

$ cat /boot/efi/EFI/arch/refind_linux.conf 
"Boot systemd"		"root=/dev/sda3 ro rootfstype=ext4 init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd resume=/dev/sda4 vga=0 radeon.modeset=0 i915.modeset=0 add_efi_memmap 5"

gotta go work out, i'll be back in 60'

Offline

#39 2012-10-16 12:04:44

GutenYe
Member
From: China
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 44
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

@noisufnoc

I tested.

There are two ways to boot ArchLinux.

1. Boot with Kernel EFISTUB. (EFI boot)

you can't use amd or intel driver and need to disable KMS, you need to use xf86-video-fbdev to start X11. You can suspend into memory, but I got black screen when begin to resume.

2. Boot into BISO emulation mode. (BISO boot)

you can use amd driver, but no intel driver. and suspend works.

you can find more info at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1081907

Last edited by GutenYe (2012-10-16 12:05:57)


Linux, Vim, Ruby, Javascript and Go.

Offline

#40 2012-10-16 15:28:44

noisufnoc
Member
Registered: 2012-10-09
Posts: 23

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

GutenYe wrote:

@noisufnoc

I tested.

There are two ways to boot ArchLinux.

1. Boot with Kernel EFISTUB. (EFI boot)

you can't use amd or intel driver and need to disable KMS, you need to use xf86-video-fbdev to start X11. You can suspend into memory, but I got black screen when begin to resume.

2. Boot into BISO emulation mode. (BISO boot)

you can use amd driver, but no intel driver. and suspend works.

you can find more info at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1081907

Did you get the black screen with the fbdev driver on EFI boot?  Does that mean suspend doesn't work with EFI boot?  That might be my problem.

Offline

#41 2012-10-16 15:37:20

GutenYe
Member
From: China
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 44
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

Did you get the black screen with the fbdev driver on EFI boot?  Does that mean suspend doesn't work with EFI boot?  That might be my problem.

Yes, I got the black screen with the fbdev driver on EFI boot.

I've updated the wiki, It seems some one can enable intel card in EFI boot, (not fbdev driver).
fond at here

Another possible solution is enable AMD card in EFI boot, found at here


Linux, Vim, Ruby, Javascript and Go.

Offline

#42 2012-10-16 15:41:16

GutenYe
Member
From: China
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 44
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

Any way, I use refind loader, and I can boot into BIOS-mode or EFI-mode.  I need to use AMD card, usullay I boot into BIOS-mode.

Last edited by GutenYe (2012-10-16 15:41:44)


Linux, Vim, Ruby, Javascript and Go.

Offline

#43 2012-10-16 15:46:45

noisufnoc
Member
Registered: 2012-10-09
Posts: 23

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

GutenYe wrote:

Any way, I use refind loader, and I can boot into BIOS-mode or EFI-mode.  I need to use AMD card, usullay I boot into BIOS-mode.

Sounds good, I'll try that today.  Thank you so much for your information.

Offline

#44 2012-10-16 18:58:39

noisufnoc
Member
Registered: 2012-10-09
Posts: 23

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

this part is also curious :

newer versions of the Xorg Intel/i915 driver require KMS to work; without it the X server will fallback to framebuffer mode, with poor performance. The underlying issue is that the Intel KMS driver selects the wrong video output; to fix this try the following settings (tested on an 8,3/17" MBP):

radeon.modeset=0 i915.modeset=1 i915.lvds_channel_mode=2

is that specific to the 8,3/17?

Offline

#45 2012-10-23 22:32:16

sam87
Member
From: down the rabbit hole
Registered: 2009-09-26
Posts: 141

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

spo11 wrote:

Hello; I have finally been able to install Arch on my Macbook Pro 8,2. smile I've been tearing my hair out with this for the past two weeks, and I'm glad I've finally figured out some of the issues I was running into. The Macbook wiki page, while containing some outdated content, was actually still quite useful.

Installation Notes

The most recent ISOs seem to contain a bug in which duplicate entries are shown. raritan, the user above, actually
figured out a solution here.

I personally found more success with the archboot ISO.

Boot loader installation

While I'm aware of the efibootmgr, I did not want to risk bricking my machine to use it. Instead, I opted to install grub2-efi on the EFI partition. This is detailed in the GRUB2 page; scroll down to Apple UEFI.

Note: the bless utility is the commandline version of the "Choose Startup Disk" or w/e in OS X. It is easy to revert to the default if needed be. Simply hold the option key at the boot chime and then select the OS X disk, and after logging in, select it as the startup disk.

Arch freezing on boot

On my first try booting, I found that the system just froze completely due to a number of issues: the root filesystem was not being recognized, the fallback  image failed to boot because of KMS issues with Intel and Radeon drivers, among others. TO fix these issues, I went through some trial and error and figured out that some of the other udev issues were caused by what I mentioned previously and by sdhci modules.

The output on boot went something like this:

Intel invalid ROM contents
sdhci iomem issue. You may encounter problems
blah blah blah

chroot into the installed arch system and edit /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf and add the following lines:

blacklist sdhci-pci
blacklist sdhci
blacklist mmc_core

Whilst still chrooting, also edit the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file to add ahci and libahci to the modules array:

MODULES="ahci libahci"

Disable KMS on boot by pressing e when the GRUB 2 menu shows up, and then appending "i915.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=0"  to the linux line.

Turns out you must disable KMS for the Intel and ATI GPUs at boot, blacklist the sdhci-pci & sdhci modules, and add ahci libachi to the MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Xorg: No devices detected; No screens detected

I could not get X to start even after installing xf86-video-intel.

To fix this, I uninstalled all the xf86-video-* packages I'd installed. Then I re-installed xf86-video-intel and xf86-video-fbdev, included intel_agp and i915 in the MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, rebuilt the images by running mkinitcpio -p linux, rebooted, etc.

Adjusting Screen Brightness

Installing apple_bl_gmux from the AUR still works. HOWEVER, make sure to append acpi_backlight=vendor to the linux line in the grub.cfg file. YMMV, but for me the files with which to manually set the brightness are actually in /sys/class/backlight/gmux_backlight, not in acpi_video0.

I will update the wiki page on the 8.x series when I get some other issues fixed/get sleep.

how are you controlling your fan speed and keeping the macbook cool? i usually have temps of around 67-70 when idle and as high as 80 when busy.


what i cannot build, i do not understand

Offline

#46 2012-10-30 20:55:18

mleone87
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2012-10-30
Posts: 3

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

I finally managed to get Arch working on my macbook pro 8,2! This is the only distro that works for me(tried ubuntu, debian and gentoo before)!
What i've done:

Created a USB UEFI boot key from last archboot iso as described in arch wiki.
Booted the installer with the help of refind(2 entry detected, works only bootx64.efi).
Installed Arch following the wiki(first time for me), i only installed base and base-devel. I edited /etc/mkinitcpio.conf ad described here.
Installed grub 2 EFI as described in Arch wiki.
---
grub.cfg must be edited adding


outb 0x728 1
outb 0x710 2
outb 0x740 2
outb 0x750 0

under set gfxpayload=keep

I also edited /etc/default/grub with

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet i915.modeset=1 radeon.modeset=0 i915.lvds_channel_mode=2 i915.lvds_use_ssc=0 elevator=noop"

This parameters are very important for me, elevator=noop can be omitted if not using an SSD.
---

After that, the system boots with the IGD only and can be configured with X and a DW like kde4.

Brightness works out of the box, keyb backlight works with pommed, touchpad works(fully) with the driver described in the wiki, the only thing I didn't tried is suspend&resume.

Last edited by mleone87 (2012-10-30 21:00:06)

Offline

#47 2012-11-23 23:19:22

HalosGhost
Member
From: Twin Cities, MN
Registered: 2012-06-22
Posts: 1,486
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

I am having some serious troubles getting pommed to work for me. The screen backlight controls appear to not work because pommed doesn't appear to support the 8,2's video card (?). But it appears that pommed is failing overall for reasons beyond me... Anyone else having issues with pommed on the latest kernels with the 8,2?

All the best,

-HG


"All errors are ᴘᴇʙᴋᴀᴄ errors—It's just a matter of narrowing down which keyboard and chair." -Trilby
\ldots

Offline

#48 2012-11-25 07:19:50

HalosGhost
Member
From: Twin Cities, MN
Registered: 2012-06-22
Posts: 1,486
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

For anyone having trouble getting pommed to work, I ended up writing a script, nick-named "enlighten," to handle the display and keyboard backlights. With i3, it is very simple to map the script to the correct hotkeys; I assume it shouldn't be too difficult with other DE/WMs.

#!/bin/zsh
#<- Configuration ->
disp=/sys/class/backlight/gmux_backlight/brightness
dstep=4096
kbd=/sys/class/leds/smc::kbd_backlight/brightness
kstep=15

#<- Error Handling ->
E_HELP=44
E_PERMS=45

#<- Function Declarations ->
permissions () {
   if [ "$UID" != 0 ]; then
      echo Enlighten must be run with root privileges
      exit "$E_PERMS"
   fi
}
usage () {
   echo Usage: enlighten \[-h\|--help\] \<interface\> \[increase\|decrease\] 
   echo Example: enlighten display increase
   exit "$E_HELP"
}
update-kbd () {
   sudo tee "$kbd" <<< "$new"
   exit 0
}
update-disp () {
   sudo tee "$disp" <<< "$new"
   exit 0
}

#<- Run Contents ->
permissions
case "$1" in
   -h|--help)
      usage
      ;;
   keyboard)
      current="$(<"$kbd")"
      case "$2" in
         increase)
            new="$(( current + kstep ))"
            ;;
         decrease)
            new="$(( current - kstep ))"
            ;;
         *)
            usage
            ;;
      esac
      update-kbd
      ;;
   display)
      current="$(<"$disp")"
      case "$2" in
         increase)
            new="$(( current + dstep ))"
            ;;
         decrease)
            new="$(( current - dstep ))"
            ;;
         *)
            usage
            ;;
      esac
      update-disp
      ;;
   *)
      usage
      ;;
esac

The default files and steps are what I found to be sane for my particular install (MBA 8,2), so they may well not be the best for everyone; but, that's why I made them pretty simple to configure. Let me know if y'all have thoughts or suggestions.

All the best,

-HG

P.S., A huge thank you to gtmanfred. This script, and consequently, my hotkeys, would not be remotely as pretty or functional as it/they is/are now.

Last edited by HalosGhost (2012-11-25 08:18:42)


"All errors are ᴘᴇʙᴋᴀᴄ errors—It's just a matter of narrowing down which keyboard and chair." -Trilby
\ldots

Offline

#49 2013-02-15 19:44:09

hotsauce.open
Member
Registered: 2013-02-15
Posts: 2

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

It appears that the patch for MacBook's 8,2 radeon KMS bug that have plagued anyone using EFI boot is fixed in 3.8 versions of the kernel. I'm compiling from the mainline in AUR and will report back after a reboot.

Aside from that, has anyone been able to enable the displayport for multi-display setups? Using the intel driver, running xrandr -q doesn't seem to see displays connected to DP.


UPDATE

Yes, this bug is in-fact fixed in 3.8

Last edited by hotsauce.open (2013-02-15 19:55:43)

Offline

#50 2013-02-25 20:49:38

Daleee
Member
From: Toronto
Registered: 2013-02-25
Posts: 4
Website

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 / 8,2 / 8,3 (2011 Macbook Pro)

hotsauce.open wrote:

It appears that the patch for MacBook's 8,2 radeon KMS bug that have plagued anyone using EFI boot is fixed in 3.8 versions of the kernel. I'm compiling from the mainline in AUR and will report back after a reboot.

Aside from that, has anyone been able to enable the displayport for multi-display setups? Using the intel driver, running xrandr -q doesn't seem to see displays connected to DP.


UPDATE

Yes, this bug is in-fact fixed in 3.8

It's funny you mentioned that, because my question is somewhat related:

What kernel is everyone using for MBP8,2? I'm still on 3.6.5 using this fine gentleman's heavily-patched kernel: https://github.com/fooblahblah/linux-patched-mbp
However, I was wondering if newer versions of the kernel would run on an 8,2 without any patching necessary?

As for multi-display, I have a 24" BenQ hooked into my DP/TB port via a MiniDP to DVI adapter and I get output on both the laptop and monitor fine. Not sure if that's what you were referring too, however.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB