You are not logged in.

#26 2012-10-26 07:02:57

fdservices

Re: Problems with Wireless since last update of NetworkManager

I have had problems using dhcpcd so I tend to use dhclient instead.

Killing wpa_supplicant after connecting to the network consistently produces the HW-in-full-sleep error.

I think it must remain running.

#27 2012-10-26 09:57:03

lastchancetosee

For there to be a WLAN connection, sure. But I wouldn't expect a hardware error from the card when the connection is killed. And why should it be in any kind of sleep mode when there is an active connection?

Btw., when making the connection manually via supplicant and dhclient/dhcpcd, how do I gracefully disconnect from a network? Currently I just kill first dhcpcd, then wpa_supplicant, but that seems rather brute force.

My ship don't crash! She crashes, you crashed her!

#28 2012-10-26 13:49:49

fdservices

Hey, I'm no expert. All I do is

$ sudo ip link set $iface down

wpa_supplicant has a GUI interface as well, wpa_gui (wpa_supplicant_gui available from extra) and a command line interface wpa_cli

Might be worth a look.

For there to be a WLAN connection, sure. But I wouldn't expect a hardware error from the card when the connection is killed. And why should it be in any kind of sleep mode when there is an active connection?

This does not sound right to me. If the interface is up and associated, killing wpa_supplicant will throw it into confusion I would have thought.

Also dhcpcd is the dhcp client daemon handling calls for an ip address whenever necessary. It should not be killed, it should fire off requests whenever it needs to. You can control the interface with various command options see
$ man dhcpcd

#29 2012-10-26 17:10:22

lastchancetosee

ip link set $iface down

Causes the same messages as killing wpa_supplicant does.

Having now updated the kernel to 3.6.3-1 the connection problems using netcfg seem to be gone, though the sleep-messages still appear. I think they have nothing to do with whatever caused the problem, at least on my machine.

My ship don't crash! She crashes, you crashed her!

#30 2012-10-28 08:30:24

fdservices

That error message is apparently due to the device not being able to go down correctly. (see here)

Does the wireless stay up with WPAsupplicant?

Board footer